Time for a Recount. | The Boneyard

Time for a Recount.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
'Way back in the pre-season, we had a bunch of polls to keep us amused and occupied as we impatiently awaited that first opening jump ball. One asked the very direct question: How many losses will this UConn team experience this season?

As I recall (not with total reliability, I confess), the consensus seemed to be about 2-5, with a couple outliers predicting a horrible 6 or more.

I (wisely/bravely/naively/brazenly -- take your pick) came down on the side of NO losses and ONE NC (#8). Relying once again on my best honest recollection, Zorro was right there with me in predicting an unblemished season.

Was anyone else in agreement with Zorro and me? Today is a good day to stand up and be recounted if you were.

Regardless if UConn wins or (GASP!) loses in Waco, there is still a long way to go: Big East season and tournament, NCAA tournament, Sweet Sixteen, Ellite Eight, Final Four, and. . . .

After Baylor, waiting in ambush are Notre Dame (at least twice), Duke, Rutgers, Georgetown, and other fine teams.

I like our chances every time we take the court. But for now, let's have a recount.

Fellow 'Yarders, what was your prediction then? Now?

Reaction Score
Your timing is awesome for raising this question again, talk about the thrill of victory and the anguish okay agony of defeat...

Reaction Score
"The tribble of victory, the ambush of defeat" I believe I originally posted 2-3 defeats and a FF. I'll now go to one defeat and a NC. My concern this year even more is seems than previous ones is with the ambush of injury. The team seems to be a wonderful balanced and tuned machine interdependent on each part.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
I predicted three to four losses and still believe the same after ten games. Predicting a loss today and can't see sweeping ND, nor do I think UConn wins the National Championship this year. As a minimum that's three losses and four losses is not unrealistic.

However, with that said UConn can win today, sweep ND and if the cards fell right win the National Championship. There's enough talent on the team if the defense holds true to form, stay out of foul trouble and KML and Bria have great games then anything is possible. I happen to think its unrealistic to predict that to happen this year. There are other teams that are equal to UConn's talent and have more experience.

Reaction Score
I predicted 7, with an additional 5 losable games. UConn has already triumphed over Stanford and Texas A &M. Seven is still possible, but I certainly wouldn't double down at this point. UConn is much, much better than I believed they could be at this point. Stanford is not as good as believed. Texas A & M is not representing well as national champions. Georgetown has struggled so far. So In addition I predicted losses to Baylor, Duke, and twice to Notre Dame. Of the losable games: Rutgers is better than I believed, North Carolina is better than anyone here seems to believe, Syracuse's lost to West Virginia does not bode well, St. John's should get better when Stevens and McKenith return. Oklahoma has some work to do.

Should UConn win tonight's game, I would agree with Wbbfan1 about a sweep to the national championship being very possible.

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
The obvious answer to Kibizer's question as to who agreed with him and zorro that UConn would have no losses would be Tony C. Does Tony ever predict a loss for UConn? I don't think so. As far as I was concerned, I was in the 3 losses camp.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
I really don't remember but I think that all along I've been in the 2-4 losses camp. That hasn't changed much although I expected a loss to Stanford. I think there are a some tough outs remaining including 2-3 in the Big East. I think I predicted a FF and did not discount the chance of a NC. That has not changed either.

Reaction Score
I was like you an voted UCONN with zero losses without any injuries.......Tonights game will a game that Geno loves and UCONN will win by 15+.......ND comes on at 1 PM on ESPNU........

Reaction Score
'Way back in the pre-season, we had a bunch of polls to keep us amused and occupied as we impatiently awaited that first opening jump ball. One asked the very direct question: How many losses will this UConn team experience this season?

As I recall (not with total reliability, I confess), the consensus seemed to be about 2-5, with a couple outliers predicting a horrible 6 or more.

I (wisely/bravely/naively/brazenly -- take your pick) came down on the side of NO losses and ONE NC (#8). Relying once again on my best honest recollection, Zorro was right there with me in predicting an unblemished season.

Was anyone else in agreement with Zorro and me? Today is a good day to stand up and be recounted if you were.

Regardless if UConn wins or (GASP!) loses in Waco, there is still a long way to go: Big East season and tournament, NCAA tournament, Sweet Sixteen, Ellite Eight, Final Four, and. . . .

After Baylor, waiting in ambush are Notre Dame (at least twice), Duke, Rutgers, Georgetown, and other fine teams.

I like our chances every time we take the court. But for now, let's have a recount.

I admit that I specifically said I would bet anyone we would not go undefeated. I love this team and regardless of what happens today,I am incredibly impressed and surprised as to how well we are playing at this point in the season! I happen to love CD***,Bria,TH,KELLY***,Stef, and then we get to the best 6th:) man/woman KLM<even better than I had thought.The rookies and Buck are coming along! I did not believe we would play this well Defensively and offensively with a 4 guard/center team!!! I am a believer that this team is capable of beating anyone if we play as well as we have indicated we can. Undefeated,NC this year I don't know! We are MUCH better than I had thought! Props to Geno and the Coaches

Olde Coach

Rip, Olde Coach
Reaction Score

IIRC -- I said: "Probably lose 2; but could be undefeated."

Reaction Score
I was and am clueless as usual. Hence, no predictions.
Me too, Oz! I don't think I prognosticated in the preseason poll, but if I had, I would have probably gone the TonyC route: no losses and a NC!

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Of the losable games: North Carolina is better than anyone here seems to believe

Even before the game today, I would have asked you why you think this is true. I mean, people complain about UConn's cupcakes, but UNC's schedule is unbelievable. And they lost to the only decent team in Penn St.

Now today, they are going to lose to South Carolina by 30+ points. I think you might want to take them off your losable game list. What do you think?

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
I predicted 4 losses and a FF appearance.
That's about where I was. Four or five games, borderline on E8/F4 appearance. I'm now more like three or four losses, solid F4 appearance, possibly more. I predicted a loss tonight, so I'm going to stick with that until proven otherwise. I don't think we sweep ND, and I do think we don't win the NC, so that's at least three losses, plus a young team could easily drop another game, especially on the road (see the WVU game last year).

If we win tonight, I drop to one loss and NC as my expectation.

Reaction Score
I don't think I posted in that thread. I was thinking 4-5 at the beginning of the season, but one of the losses I projected is already in the books as a win. Tonight was my second projected loss, let's hope I'm as wrong as I was about Stanford.

Reaction Score
I did not post originally, but I was definitely with you Kibitzer. I have watch KML play in high school....and I knew how good she was, and coupled with the rest of our team and other recruits, I thought we would have another great season. I think 0-1 loss [pains me even to type that word "loss"].

But I don't think it will be today.....I am wearing my "Expect a Miracle" shirt.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
The obvious answer to Kibizer's question as to who agreed with him and zorro that UConn would have no losses would be Tony C. Does Tony ever predict a loss for UConn? I don't think so. As far as I was concerned, I was in the 3 losses camp.
i'm with C-fer on this one. i predicted 3 or 4 losses. 3 during the regular season including the BET, and then a loss in the final 4 or NC game.

Reaction Score
Even before the game today, I would have asked you why you think this is true. I mean, people complain about UConn's cupcakes, but UNC's schedule is unbelievable. And they lost to the only decent team in Penn St.

Now today, they are going to lose to South Carolina by 30+ points. I think you might want to take them off your losable game list. What do you think?

Actually, the question was asked and answered in an earlier thread.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Actually, the question was asked and answered in an earlier thread.
Gee, I guess I should to a better job of reading every post in every thread. thanks.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I don't remember if I got in on the "how many losses thread", but I always thought about 4-5. Still might be looking at that. Don't think we can beat ND 3 times, and I don't think we will win a NC this year (I do hope I am proven wrong.).

However, they are playing better than I thought they would be at this point. A fun hard working team to watch.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I predicted 7, with an additional 5 losable games. UConn has already triumphed over Stanford and Texas A &M. Seven is still possible, but I certainly wouldn't double down at this point. UConn is much, much better than I believed they could be at this point. Stanford is not as good as believed. Texas A & M is not representing well as national champions. Georgetown has struggled so far. So In addition I predicted losses to Baylor, Duke, and twice to Notre Dame. Of the losable games: Rutgers is better than I believed, North Carolina is better than anyone here seems to believe, Syracuse's lost to West Virginia does not bode well, St. John's should get better when Stevens and McKenith return. Oklahoma has some work to do.

Should UConn win tonight's game, I would agree with Wbbfan1 about a sweep to the national championship being very possible.
Glad to see that you're coming around. :)

I threw around different numbers, but my best guess (I know it's a wide range) was 1-4. I think the game at South Bend, the BE Finals or Semifinals, and Final Four games are the tough ones.

Reaction Score
I believe I had suggested 5, and I now think that it'll be 3 or 4. Notre Dame is very tough. Are they better than UConn? Talent-wise, on paper, no. But a really tough team, on its home court, can cause all sorts of things to happen. UConn could easily lose one of those. If the team does not show improvement by the end of the season (I think it will, but if it doesn't), UConn could lose in the BE tournament. And if that is the case, it could lose in the NCAAs. None of this necessarily has to happen, but it's easy to get from 1 loss to 3 losses, and 4 is not impossible.

Hope not, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul