Time for a Rankings Shake-Up | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Time for a Rankings Shake-Up

Reaction Score
All of this makes Green Bay look real good. They held Arizona State 48 points in beating them, and held Milwaukee to 29 points in beating them.

Syracuse and South Florida should be ranked higher than Green Bay.

Reaction Score
So Stanford is according to prediction. So, too, Rutgers' rise, though I would not have thought they'd go that high so fast.

Tennessee is certainly earning their chops so far. But we'll really find out what they're made of over the next week: Texas A&M, South Carolina, Notre Dame, Mississippi State. All in 11 days.

If they can knock off some of those, they'll retain their ranking.

Green Bay? I think they've benefited from a mediocre schedule, but should retain their ranking due to a weak rest of schedule.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Syracuse and South Florida should be ranked higher than Green Bay.

At least Green Bay has beaten a ranked team this season. When was the last time South Florida beat a ranked team...... in the past 10 years?

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Nice to see Rutgers back in the top 25. Maybe it’s time for Geno & C. Viv to fire up that old rivalry again by scheduling each other. The games between the Huskies and Scarlet Knights were always highly spirited contests.
Talk about mauling...No Way do I want to see that. I am fine with that ship having sailed as well-been there, done that. So while I wish CVS well on getting to 1,000 this year, I am fine with only seeing them play in the NCAA Tournament.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Interesting that UCLA stayed in the same place in the rankings. They played 2 ranked teams and split the games. They crushed Oregon St. and lost a close game to Oregon. Oregon was higher ranked so it wasn't considered and upset, but it was at home for UCLA. To me that's a game they should've won. I'm not saying they should drop far in the rankings, but I think there should've been some movement.
But it's always relevant to context. UCLA was "helped" by two other developments: (a) 3 of the 4 teams that were ranked immediately behind UCLA lost as well, and one of them (Oregon St) was the team they just beat by 40; and (b) Florida State and West Virginia both lost to unranked teams, which allowed UCLA to get more voting points than they would have otherwise.

Reaction Score
Nice to see Rutgers back in the top 25. Maybe it’s time for Geno & C. Viv to fire up that old rivalry again by scheduling each other. The games between the Huskies and Scarlet Knights were always highly spirited contests.
Three cheers for our old pal, C-Viv!!!!!!!

Reaction Score
At least Green Bay has beaten a ranked team this season. When was the last time South Florida beat a ranked team. in the past 10 years?

IMO, South Florida could even be ranked just in front of Duke @#16 AP Poll, both at 12-4. In conference play, USF is 2-1 to Duke's 1-2. South Florida's RPI (per WarrenNolan.com) is ranked 28 to Dukes 29th..and even the SOS is better for South Florida, #33 to Duke's #49...go figure. Chalk it up to the mystique of the ACC. :rolleyes:

JS

Reaction Score
Congrats to Rogers but no thanks on a rematch. After reading C Vivian Stringer's book, I have great respect for her but no interest in her style of play. It gets the job done for her but I don't think it's fun for fans.

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
IMO, South Florida could even be ranked just in front of Duke @#16 AP Poll, both at 12-4. In conference play, USF is 2-1 to Duke's 1-2. South Florida's RPI (per WarrenNolan.com) is ranked 28 to Dukes 29th..and even the SOS is better for South Florida, #33 to Duke's #49...go figure. Chalk it up to the mystique of the ACC. :rolleyes:

Or...the fact that Duke has a win vs. #10 Ohio St (as well as Oregon St), and USF's best win is over unranked LSU. Their losses to 7-8 Oklahoma and Mich St don't help their case either.

Reaction Score
Talk about mauling...No Way do I want to see that. I am fine with that ship having sailed as well-been there, done that. So while I wish CVS well on getting to 1,000 this year, I am fine with only seeing them play in the NCAA Tournament.
Actually I hope we don't see you in the NCAA tournament, unless it is in the Championship game! We are having a great season, but I am realistic enough to know that while we have one great player, a good supporting cast and depth, we aren't at UConn's level. I want to see how we handle OSU, Maryland and Iowa before I start fantasizing about beating the best team in the country. We are playing the 55 well again and we are in the top 10 in the nation in both scoring defense and steals, but we aren't mauling anybody (at least so far - I'll let you know if that changes after we have to guard Gustafson).

Reaction Score

And now it's 29th to Duke's 31st. RPI has been more accurate on some measures than the rankings themselves.

Reaction Score
Or...the fact that Duke has a win vs. #10 Ohio St (as well as Oregon St), and USF's best win is over unranked LSU. Their losses to 7-8 Oklahoma and Mich St don't help their case either.

I'll give you that, with them Duke wins over ranked teams, as you stated, they must have also lost two games to unranked teams. At the time they played, Duke lost to unranked Villanova and also to unranked Miami. (they say on any giving night any team can win/lose)

The Bulls also lost to ND and UConn, however, I still stand with the RPI's and SOS of both teams to date. My eye test tells me both teams are about equal (at this point of season)...and yet Duke is sitting at #16 (must of been them wins), in AP poll and Bulls are listed in "Others Receiving Votes"

Reaction Score
So Stanford is according to prediction. So, too, Rutgers' rise, though I would not have thought they'd go that high so fast.

Tennessee is certainly earning their chops so far. But we'll really find out what they're made of over the next week: Texas A&M, South Carolina, Notre Dame, Mississippi State. All in 11 days.

Green Bay? I think they've benefited from a mediocre schedule, but should retain their ranking due to a weak rest of schedule.

I think you should check the schedule again. I count 7 teams Green Bay has played that were in the NCAA last year.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
There are varying threads on this discussion to pursue:
1. USF and their credentials. To be fair, I have to acknowledge I am biased against USF as overrated and I oppose their over-recruitment of non-US players who deserve education opportunities. That said, USF is 2-3 against P5 teams this year with one game left vs. Ohio State. In order be be considered among programs in top 25 discussion, you need to make hay against them. That is not really the case here. They beat LSU (good win) beat WSU (meh..), lost to Oklahoma, ND and Mich State. To me, that is less than what Duke brings to the table. In the eye test, I give Duke higher marks
2. Rutgers and the Big Ten. There was discussion on how happy CVS was to have 5 big 10 teams in the top 25. To me, that is sort of yuk. The fact the Big 10 has 5 teams, none of which are noteworthy is troubling to me-OSU, MD, Mich, Iowa and RU.
Here’s where we all need USF to step up and beat OSU! We also need Houston to finish 2nd/3rd in the conference with a really good record. I am not sold on them per se’ but hey, they’re my sibling so GO Cougars!

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
Tough to tell how good B10 is since the ranked teams' best wins are all against each other.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

I chalk it up as to actually having two good wins vs zero..... I still think Oregon State is a good win..... for now.. Head bang Not sure what USF's 2-1 conference record vs Duke's 1-2 record has to do with anything.

And now it's 29th to Duke's 31st. RPI has been more accurate on some measures than the rankings themselves.

Rutgers 8th, Green Bay 10th, South Carolina 11th, Tenn #12, Baylor 20th, Florida Gulf Coast 23rd, Ball State 24th.... South Florida 28th, Duke 29th, Houston 30th .... How has the RPI been more accurate??

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Was curious and looked up the conference RPI's..... 1) ACC 2) SEC 3) Big 10 4) Pac12 5)Big East 6) Big12 7) MAC 8) American Based on the eye test I wouldnt have the ACC ahead of the SEC....or the Big 10 over the Pac 12.... but according to the beloved RPI they are.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom