Tim Russo headed to NAU AC | The Boneyard

Tim Russo headed to NAU AC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Two guys going from being just grad assistants to Division 1 assistant coaches is really impressive.

It is still kind of unbelievable (including to Dan) that they didn’t lose any assistants. I also am looking forward to them finalizing and announcing the new guys on staff.

Reaction Score
Listened to Doggy discuss how this opportunity happened today while I was driving home. The UNA coach approached Mad Dog at the FF and asked about his son. Long story from there and it took time but he was originally offered the bench job like 4th asst for videos and such. In the meantime an assistant left and the 3rd spot opened so he was offered the 3rd asst who is in charge of in bounds plays and defense.

During the story the Doggy gave huge kudos to the UCONN coaching staff naming Dan, Tom, Luke and Kimani a little. Said Tom Moore was fantastic walked him through the whole interview process as well as how to dress. Luke made him change his twitter to “Coach Tim Russo.” Good stuff good luck to the kid!

Reaction Score
Two guys going from being just grad assistants to Division 1 assistant coaches is really impressive.

It is still kind of unbelievable (including to Dan) that they didn’t lose any assistants. I also am looking forward to them finalizing and announcing the new guys on staff.

A successful season for Castle would be a nice swan song for Kimani. He more than deserves his million+ and a HC gig. Not many assistants with a better resume at this point.

Reaction Score
The ADs at Quinnipiac and Manhattan are going to look pretty dumb in a couple of years.

Reaction Score
Flagstaff is an incredible town. Go Jacks!
I was thinking the same thing.

NAU was my niece's dream school to play soccer before realizing that she didn't want the grind of a D1 schedule/workload, especially in a high-travel conference like the Big Sky.

NAU is a beautiful campus and they've made nice upgrades to their facilities too. Would love to retire to Flagstaff down the line, but doubt we can afford it.

Reaction Score
@zls44 What’s incredible about Flagstaff, and which particular areas/neighborhoods? Why?

Been there very briefly, thought it was more than OK for all-seasons hiking and other outdoors activities. Also, sensed Flagstaff had massive #s of transients yet may have missed the big town/small city’s best features. TIA for sharing insights.

NAU, great opportunity for Russo. Div II student manager to UConn grad assistant, to Div I 3rd assistant at 24. Good for him!

Last edited:

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

Few campuses and geographic regions have a bigger delta between stereotype and reality. Not too much desert or cacti up in Flagstaff.

Reaction Score
They set a record for snowfall this past winter. The I17 and I40 where shut down a ton.
NWS Flagstaff says the numbers aren’t official yet, as it can still snow into May at high elevations. However, between Oct. 1, 2022, to April 15, 2023, Flagstaff recorded just over 163 inches of snow compared to the average of 87 inches.

Reaction Score

Any idea if UConn is increasing the number of assistants next year with the new NCAA rule?

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
@zls44 What’s incredible about Flagstaff, and which particular areas/neighborhoods? Why?

Been there very briefly, thought it was more than OK for all-seasons hiking and other outdoors activities. Also, sensed Flagstaff had massive #s of transients yet may have missed the big town/small city’s best features. TIA for sharing insights.

NAU, great opportunity for Russo. Div II student manager to UConn grad assistant, to Div I 3rd assistant at 24. Good for him!

I only have had the good luck to spend a couple of afternoons there, but there's just such a vibe about the place. No matter how you get there, you've driven through endless desert and then you open the window in Flagstaff and its like youre in the freaking Swiss Alps. Clean, cool air, snow-capped hills and everything. Its nothing at all like the rest of Arizona.

Then you leave and in any direction you're suddenly in an oven again.

Reaction Score

Impressive steps for both JR Lynch and Timmy Russo. Where will Chris Mastrngelo head next? Any other staff changes? I thought it was a forgone conclusion that Kimani would get a HC job.

Reaction Score
I only have had the good luck to spend a couple of afternoons there, but there's just such a vibe about the place. No matter how you get there, you've driven through endless desert and then you open the window in Flagstaff and its like youre in the freaking Swiss Alps. Clean, cool air, snow-capped hills and everything. Its nothing at all like the rest of Arizona.

Then you leave and in any direction you're suddenly in an oven again.
I spent some time in Flagstaff on the way to Grand Canyon. Very nice place to be. I first heard about Northern Arizona in the NCAAs years ago when Ben Howland was the head coach. They were raining threes from what I remember. This was around 1998.

Reaction Score
A successful season for Castle would be a nice swan song for Kimani. He more than deserves his million+ and a HC gig. Not many assistants with a better resume at this point.
He would be a great fit for Miami when Larranaga decides to pack it in. They've got the NIL resources and it's not a bad place to live.

Reaction Score
He would be a great fit for Miami when Larranaga decides to pack it in. They've got the NIL resources and it's not a bad place to live.

Miami isn't likely going to hire a person who has never head coached a basketball team at any level.

Kimani will end up at a mid-major or low level high-major that will pay him better than a million with solid benefits.

Reaction Score
Miami isn't likely going to hire a person who has never head coached a basketball team at any level.

Kimani will end up at a mid-major or low level high-major that will pay him better than a million with solid benefits.
In addition, Larranaga recently signed an extension through 2026-2027 season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom