Tim Boyle Makes It Clear: He's UConn's QB Of The Future | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Tim Boyle Makes It Clear: He's UConn's QB Of The Future

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Thank you dtrumpet! Both QB's were ranked number one in their HS class for the QB position and in some cases number 1 overall. Both had scary passing numbers in HS and while Leak was never an effective running QB, even under Meyer, Tebow was yet learned running over NFL players isn't the same as in college, but that is what he trained to do. Were they both celebrated in college with awards, valid point, but both had high points during their soph years. Leak while running a pro style offense and Tebow in his soph year. For a good example of utilizing your players strengths look at Kevin Ollie's performance last year. He had great guards and he leveraged it into a Natl championship by playing to his teams strength. I just want to see if Boyle can do what I saw in HS, throw the ball!

Reaction Score
Chris Leak's stats (the numbers don't bear out that he got worse at all):

Passing
YearSchoolConfClassPosGCmpAttPctYdsY/AAY/ATDIntRate
*2003FloridaSECFRQB1319032059.424357.67.11611132.9
*2004FloridaSECSOQB1223839959.631978.08.12912144.9
*2005FloridaSECJRQB1223537462.826397.17.4206136.5
*2006FloridaSECSRQB1423236563.629428.17.72313144.9
CareerFlorida895145861.4112137.77.68842140.1

Reaction Score
Meyer also gave Leak a national championship - which he never would have had with Zook as the coach. So "ruined" is probably a pretty strong word.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Tim Tebow wasn't ruined. He was not a good NFL QB. He may have had a career in the NFL, but he didn't want to change positions.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
Thank you dtrumpet! Both QB's were ranked number one in their HS class for the QB position and in some cases number 1 overall. Both had scary passing numbers in HS and while Leak was never an effective running QB, even under Meyer, Tebow was yet learned running over NFL players isn't the same as in college, but that is what he trained to do. Were they both celebrated in college with awards, valid point, but both had high points during their soph years. Leak while running a pro style offense and Tebow in his soph year. For a good example of utilizing your players strengths look at Kevin Ollie's performance last year. He had great guards and he leveraged it into a Natl championship by playing to his teams strength. I just want to see if Boyle can do what I saw in HS, throw the ball!

No pissing match - but Boyle has thrown the ball 159 times in his UConn career with little success. Serious question - how much more do you want to see before he proves/disproves coaches, critics and fans?

HS and CFB are 2 completely different animals - follow this link and change the years around to get a good sense of how the highest rated HS QB NEVER sniffed the NFL. This if for Pocket Passer QB's the Dual Threat QB's are actually a bit more successful!

Tim was the top rated Dual Threat QB in his class (2006)
Matt Stafford the top rated Pocket Passer in his class (2006)
http://sports.yahoo.com/footballrecruiting/football/recruiting/rankings/rank-rivalspsqb/2002

Bonehead

Reaction Score
what uconn 34 is saying though is what happened next? You have 2 high profile NC winning qb's that (except for a brief Tebow flame) flopped at the next level, though it looked like they might have had the skills pre Meyer. Its a valid point.

2001 Miami - Ken Dorsey
2002 Oh St - Craig Krenzel
2003 LSU - Matt Mauck
2004 USC - Matt Leinhart
2005 Texas - Vince Young
2006 Florida - Chris Leak
2007 LSU - Matt Flynn
2008 Florida - Tim Tebow
2009 Alabama - Greg McElroy

I could keep going but by your standards all these QB's were ruined by their college coach as the were mostly flops at the next level. Its a bad argument.

Reaction Score
No pissing match. I was a HS QB albeit nowhere near this caliber and I can tell you from personal and observational experience that you need to find a rhythm. I frankly write off year one for Boyle. True freshman, new coach, system adjustments from Weitz, and serious competition that wreaked havoc on our running and passing game. If those first two TD's were not dropped who knows where that confidence would have soared. Bonehead is right Boyle needs to prove it on the practice field to Diaco, that's on him but since we burned this redshirt year lets see what he can do over the course of an entire game. He has had time to learn Diaco's system, now he needs to step on the field knowing his first mistake won't pull him off the field for the day. Whitmer is a gutsy guy, that block he made proves that, but if he had been pulled after his first three and out each game, he would have been pulled each game early in the first quarter. This is not a Whitmer/Boyle issue, its an issue of we now have the time to give Boyle the opportunity to establish a rhythm and develop confidence. I saw 50+ passes in HS caught in stride many times (I guess many is relative). Orlovsky's first games were not a study in offensive purity but as the season progressed so did he. I worked in the same cafeteria as Eric Torkelson in college and we became friends/acquaintances. He carried us past Yale on his back when Yale had kicked our ass for years. I have loved Husky football for many years. Bonehead gets it, we all want to see success on the field! Its about the team, the university, the fans and the players. We have seen Whitmer and he has proven to be ok but not the future. Why do we argue about losing nothing by giving the kid a chance for more than a series.

Reaction Score
By the way, Tom Brady was not a clean starter in college (split time with Henne) and even in his early years when the Pats won super bowls he wasn't that great but Bili stuck with him, rhythm caught on and look at that track record. No one will be right all the time in their comparisons with the past. I am confident in my analysis of Meyer, but Boyle needs a chance. Diaco is playing it too safe with Whitmer. So we lose a few games, correspondingly, what if we find the QB of the future?

Reaction Score
2001 Miami - Ken Dorsey
2002 Oh St - Craig Krenzel
2003 LSU - Matt Mauck
2004 USC - Matt Leinhart
2005 Texas - Vince Young
2006 Florida - Chris Leak
2007 LSU - Matt Flynn
2008 Florida - Tim Tebow
2009 Alabama - Greg McElroy

I could keep going but by your standards all these QB's were ruined by their college coach as the were mostly flops at the next level. Its a bad argument.
The orignal Uconn 34 point (which is much more valid for Leak than Tebow) was that they were ruined by trying to fit them into a system that didn't fit the player. That is not the case for any of the qb's you listed. Nor is it valid for the Calhoun/Thabeet comparison you made earlier.

Bonehead

Reaction Score
The orignal Uconn 34 point (which is much more valid for Leak than Tebow) was that they were ruined by trying to fit them into a system that didn't fit the player. That is not the case for any of the qb's you listed. Nor is it valid for the Calhoun/Thabeet comparison you made earlier.

Meyer recruited Tebow - he knew the offense he ran - Tebow was the #1 rated DT QB - how did Urban Meyer try to fit Tebow into his system - you think Meyer told him 'hey that offense I ran in UTAH and Florida, I am going to change it for you?

Not following...so only valid for Leak -
A coach is NEVER going to change their system they are successful with, thats why Leak and Tebow were platooning.

Reaction Score
My question about Boyle is this...and maybe someone here knows....but my question is can he run? All indications are that we are moving to the spread option. Central Michigan, UC and now ND all run the spread option under Kelley. We've seen it have some success this year and the QB's we are bringing in are mobile. Diaco keeps saying Boyle is the QB of the future but we haven't seen him execute the spread option once this year.

Are they trying to protect him from injury? Is he currently injured? Are they trying to keep his wheels a secret for next year? Or is he just slow? Does anyone know if he can run? I feel like I remember seeing high school tape of him running. I just don't understand why he's never run the option on any of his series this year.

Looking at tape, the other kid (Sorrells?) has got some wheels and I wouldn't be surprised to see him as the starter.

Reaction Score
My question about Boyle is this...and maybe someone here knows....but my question is can he run? All indications are that we are moving to the spread option. Central Michigan, UC and now ND all run the spread option under Kelley. We've seen it have some success this year and the QB's we are bringing in are mobile. Diaco keeps saying Boyle is the QB of the future but we haven't seen him execute the spread option once this year.

Are they trying to protect him from injury? Is he currently injured? Are they trying to keep his wheels a secret for next year? Or is he just slow? Does anyone know if he can run? I feel like I remember seeing high school tape of him running. I just don't understand why he's never run the option on any of his series this year.

Looking at tape, the other kid (Sorrells?) has got some wheels and I wouldn't be surprised to see him as the starter.
Who the heck is Sorrells?

Bonehead

Reaction Score

I would assume Tim cannot run the option nor is he considered a running QB - otherwise he would most likely stayed committed to BC when Addazio took over as opposed being told he didnt fit the scheme.

Reaction Score
Bonehead, I think you are correct that Tebow knew the system Meyer was implementing But having mutual friends/acquaintances with Tim, who has nothing but respect and affection for Meyer, that he wanted Florida more than Meyer at least initially. He was young and wanted to be a Gator. If Zook was still there he would probably still gone to Florida. Being a young man I do not believe he understood how poor his throwing motion was and how he needed to adjust to play in the NFL. Despite your age, your decisions are your decisions and he must live with those choices but it was funny that Meyer left after Tebow, citing a need to get away from coaching yet resurfaced at Ohio State a year later. I believe and that is all it is, my belief, that Meyer uses people and moves on. Tebow never thought he had throwing problems, but it was obvious to NFL folks that they existed. Unless Meyer is clearly less of a teacher than he alludes to be he must have know Tebow's mechanics were way off but never seemed to address the situation. This is all I have to say on this subject, since I am a Husky fan not a gator fan, except by marriage. I only provided that series of examples to illustrate that I hope Diaco is not making a mistake in how he is managing Boyle. I still think we lose little by seeing what he can do with extended playing time.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
LOL:
What’s the logic of Boyle playing one series a game? Is it enough?

“To be sure he plays in every game,” Diaco said.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom