Tim Boyle Article Hartford Courant | The Boneyard

Tim Boyle Article Hartford Courant

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
'If Coach Diaco doesn't want to play me and he thinks it's going to help the team I'm 100 percent OK with that.' - Tim Boyle

"Through the workload there's a balance between getting Tim prepared to play and then also making sure he shows up to the game feeling as good as he can possibly feel," Diaco said. "We'd like him to participate in every single game, during meaningful downs. Why? Tim is going to be the quarterback of the team, unless he gets beat out, but Tim is going to be the quarterback of the team in 2015 and 2016." - Bob Diaco

"You saw that pass [against Temple], lack of focus, lack of intensity, late down the middle, off target, gets picked," Diaco said. "That's a learning moment." - Bob Diaco

"Just some discomfort," he said. "I'm good. I'm physically able to go but some discomfort here and there. I'll push through it. It's nothing to hold me back." - Tim Boyle

http://touch.courant.com/#section/2262/article/p2p-81621913/

Reaction Score
Everything written about Boyle just forces everyone too read between the lines....there are no facts...the quotes make people guess...why even write this article

Bonehead

Reaction Score
Everything written about Boyle just forces everyone too read between the lines....there are no facts...the quotes make people guess...why even write this article

Its coach speak - thats what the greats do.

The two quotes that you dont need to read between the lines on is this one :
"You saw that pass [against Temple], lack of focus, lack of intensity, late down the middle, off target, gets picked," Diaco said. "That's a learning moment." - Bob Diaco
Lack of focus and lack of intensity would put every football players ass on a bench.

And this one :
'If Coach Diaco doesn't want to play me and he thinks it's going to help the team I'm 100 percent OK with that.' - Tim Boyle
Coach thinks Boyles ass on the bench is going to help the team - meaning him playing is not going to help the team.

Reaction Score
I agree with you...and if Boyle was from Middletown NJ instead of Middletown CT or had starred at Xavierian in Massachusetts rather than Xavier of Middletown, it would NOT have been written. He's the backup, maybe the #3. Nothing to see here. Move along, everyone.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I'll go out on the amateur psychologist limb.

Boyle is comfortable with where he is and Diaco wants to push him harder to be better.

Reality is that Boyle may be better than Whitmer but Diaco seems willing to keep him on the pine until Boyle is as good as he can be, not just better than the guy in front of him.

Bonehead

Reaction Score

Boyle is comfortable with where he is and Diaco wants to push him harder to be better.

Reality is that Boyle may be better than Whitmer but Diaco seems willing to keep him on the pine until Boyle is as good as he can be, not just better than the guy in front of him.

I would hope that is not the case...

'I have this really talented QB, better than the guy I am putting out there every week, but he could be better so I aint playing him'

I might buy a part where Boyle isnt as committed to FB as Diaco wants him to be and thats why he doesnt play but to think he is better than Whitmer but isnt playing because Diaco sees greatness and wants him to be as good as he can be would mean Diaco is playing amateur psychologist. IF the best QB is sitting on the bench then now I do agree he is NOT playing to win.

Reaction Score
Sounds a bit over thought out in terms of HCBD's reasons for Boyle playing time and Boyle's reaction to how he is handling it. Like my boss's boss asking me how my boss is doing in front of my boss; yeah I'm really going to tell him.
At some point in time HCBD is going to have to address playing time decisions and performance requirements/vs. performance in a less Mary Poppins fashion. Eveyone isn't an honorable mention all Husky performer giving his best effort.

Reaction Score
If I had to guess I'd say Boyle's head is more of an issue than his leg.

One has to wonder if last year caused some damage that has slowed his growth.

Reaction Score
Such a passive response from Boyle following the Diaco quote about lack of focus. QBs need to lead. Sounds like Boyle hasn't grabbed the leadership role yet. The Cody Endres analogy seems like a good one. All the tools but never put it all together

Reaction Score
I've watched Whitmer throw and I've watched Boyle throw. Boyle just has a vastly superior arm. Let's get it in a game.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I've watched Whitmer throw and I've watched Boyle throw. Boyle just has a vastly superior arm. Let's get it in a game.
I've seen JaMarcus Russell throw and I've seen Tom Brady throw. The Raiders are on their 9th starting QB since 2009.

Reaction Score
I think you could make a case that we might as well start Boyle,. In fact I made such a case on one of the multiplicity of Boyle threads. But I think it is based on 2 points:
1. the season is over and we're playing for 2015 so might as well find out if he is the real deal or not;
2. We know what Whitmer can do and it is not enough to stem the bleeding. Let's make a change just to see if it shakes things up enough. Coaches of bad teams often replace the starter in hopes of turning things around. the Casey Cochran experience was the exception in that it worked. Bones/DJ Hernandez is the more common experience.

Reaction Score
I think you could make a case that we might as well start Boyle,. In fact I made such a case on one of the multiplicity of Boyle threads. But I think it is based on 2 points:
1. the season is over and we're playing for 2015 so might as well find out if he is the real deal or not;
2. We know what Whitmer can do and it is not enough to stem the bleeding. Let's make a change just to see if it shakes things up enough. Coaches of bad teams often replace the starter in hopes of turning things around. the Casey Cochran experience was the exception in that it worked. Bones/DJ Hernandez is the more common experience.
Agree with all of this but u are forgetting one thing. U have to earn the burn. Sounds like Boyle hasn't, Pal's man crush notwithstanding

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
My thinking he is being a good team player by doing this.

Reaction Score
Such a passive response from Boyle following the Diaco quote about lack of focus. QBs need to lead. Sounds like Boyle hasn't grabbed the leadership role yet. The Cody Endres analogy seems like a good one. All the tools but never put it all together

I got the same impression from reading the article. Kid needs a bit more time in the background to mature, if he's going to have the respect up and down the chain of the command to play the QB position.

But all this ongoing bullshirt discussion does, yet another, and another and so and so on and another discussion thread on Boyle - is reinforce for me, the regret I have for Chandler Whitmer, in that in his UCONN career, he's never really had the opportunity to experience the glory, honor and spotlight that is the #2 QB position on the depth chart at UCONN.

Toil on Chandler, in obscurity, as our #1 QB.

Reaction Score

I think you're reading too much into it. He's on the pine, because he's not better than Whitmer right now. If our head coach, and OC, and QB coach, are making a decision for any other reason, than they think Whitmer is better than Boyle, right now, then we are really in trouble as a program. I highly doubt Diaco would keep him on the bench, if he thought he could perform better than Whitmer right now.

Reaction Score
So do I get to be the guy that points out once again how idiotic it was to play Boyle at all this year?

Husky25

Reaction Score
So do I get to be the guy that points out once again how idiotic it was to play Boyle at all this year?
That ship has sailed...Then again there are about 206 threads about Boyle's boil.

Reaction Score
That ship has sailed...Then again there are about 206 threads about Boyle's boil.

25, it's pretty simple to me. You play him or you protect his RS. Playing him as little as he has is worthless. It accomplishes nothing and is just beyond comprehension.

I will wait to see how this plays out before commenting further.

Husky25

Reaction Score
25, it's pretty simple to me. You play him or you protect his RS. Playing him as little as he has is worthless. It accomplishes nothing and is just beyond comprehension.

I will wait to see how this plays out before commenting further.
I hear you and I'm with you. I want him to play. Now that his Soph, RS is blown, he will not red shirt (barring catastrophic injury) at all. If they are going to lose anyway (a virtual certainty with Whitmer), then you might as well see what you got. The results on a Macro level literally cannot get any worse (losing games, poor attendance, low entertainment value).

Reaction Score
I have a feeling Boyle redshirts next year. I think Diaco wants to run a spread in the future.

Reaction Score

If that is the case, there is no better prescription for improvement than in-game reps at game speed. At 1-4, there is no downside.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom