Tight Ends on the roster | The Boneyard

Tight Ends on the roster

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
It looks, by my count, that we will only have 3 scholarship TE's on the roster this season. 2 of them (Myers & Thompson) will be true freshmen, with McQuillan being the 3rd.

Am i wrong here ? Did i miss someone ?
Are any of the Walk-ons going to push for time ?
Will someone else (Walsh, a DE) move to TE ?

We have used the TE's pretty well over the years. Many years they were one of the few bright spots on the offense.

Thoughts ???

Reaction Score
I just re-looked at the roster, and Boland is listed as a 248 lb Tight end ??????
Last i saw, he was a 275 lb DT/OL

I know weights are often off, but this is significant.

This seems like an odd answer to my OP

Reaction Score
It looks, by my count, that we will only have 3 scholarship TE's on the roster this season. 2 of them (Myers & Thompson) will be true freshmen, with McQuillan being the 3rd.

Am i wrong here ? Did i miss someone ?
Are any of the Walk-ons going to push for time ?
Will someone else (Walsh, a DE) move to TE ?

We have used the TE's pretty well over the years. Many years they were one of the few bright spots on the offense.

Thoughts ???

Parker is in the mix as well so that's 4 and it wouldn't surprise me to have all 4 see action. We also have 3 TE commits for next year (Fuchs, Bloom and Carrezola).

I think Boland is a typo on the roster...

I take that back - PP just said that Boland is getting some reps @ TE for now. but can play multiple positions including o-line and defense. (blocking TE?).

Tim_Fontenault 1:25pm via TweetDeck
PP: "We envisioned Mike (Boland) in three ways: as a tight end, offensive lineman and defensive lineman."

NHRJimFuller 1:24pm via TweetDeck
#UConn's Paul Pasqualoni said TE Sean McQuillan is"bound and determined to contribute"

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
I think 3 is ok, barring a string of injuries. But those do happen. I think we'll see Myers hit the field more as the season progresses but that's just a hunch...

Reaction Score
Parker is in the mix as well so that's 4 and it wouldn't surprise me to have all 4 see action. We also have 3 TE commits for next year (Fuchs, Bloom and Carrezola).

I think Boland is a typo on the roster...

I take that back - PP just said that Boland is getting some reps @ TE for now. but can play multiple positions including o-line and defense. (blocking TE?).

Tim_Fontenault 1:25pm via TweetDeck
PP: "We envisioned Mike (Boland) in three ways: as a tight end, offensive lineman and defensive lineman."

NHRJimFuller 1:24pm via TweetDeck
#UConn's Paul Pasqualoni said TE Sean McQuillan is"bound and determined to contribute"

Im aware of the 3 commits for next season, and i love all 3 guys.
But im concerned about depth, and experience (to a degree) for this season.
Hopefully McQuillan and Myers can stay healthy.

aside: im surprised Boland is considered quick-footed enough to take TE reps. interesting stuff.

pj

Reaction Score
Probably a blocking TE for short yardage situations. Doubt he gets receptions.

We'll probably only do 1 TE sets for the most part this year. After Jordan Fuchs arrives that should change.

Reaction Score
Who needs Tight Ends, just go to 4 wr. Walsh is probably big enough to serve as an emergency TE.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
JORDAN SHOULD HAVE BEEN ON CAMPUS ASAP--SENDING HIM TO PREP, DUE TO OVER OFFERING SCHOLARSHIPS, AND THEN HAVING A STUDENT LEAVE THE PROGRAM---JORDAN SHOULD HAVE BEEN SENT FOR--

Why are you yelling at us?

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
First, stirring the pot like this seems like a bad idea....

It appears PP has decided the team needs offensive line/blocking depth more than receiving depth. No offense should be taken. Everything will work out fine in the end for Fuchs. We'll see him in January.

Reaction Score
I hate hearing this stuff. It's frustrating as a fan, I can't imagine what a player and his parents go through.

I just hope we get him on campus in January, and it works out for the best in the long run.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I hate hearing this stuff. It's frustrating as a fan, I can't imagine what a player and his parents go through.

I just hope we get him on campus in January, and it works out for the best in the long run.
It will work out fine. Uconn is providing a tremendous opportunity to play two sports at a high level. Its a unique opportunity and it will be fun. No one should lose any faith here. And btw, no one is owed or deserves anything just yet. Stick with the plan. Be a team player. Take this fall to get ahead on the academics.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
academics?? jordan is a 95 student-- team player? why else did jordan go to prep---doesnt that tell u "team player" and what plan? didnt that line backer who just left have a plan? deserves anything? no idea what u are saying-- this will be my last post -- and yes it will work out fine--no worries at all--

Shouting on a chat board that the staff took the wrong oversubscribed player is not being a team player.

Reaction Score
Shouting on a chat board that the staff took the wrong oversubscribed player is not being a team player.

I think you're out of line here. A player (and his father), who passed on other scholarship opportunities for UConn, who was then grayshirted due to over-offering has every right to be frustrated and to vent. If you're worried about it harming the program, just consider the fact he's planning on enrolling in January despite his frustration. I can't imagine that he would discourage others from coming to UConn, since he is sticking with his commitment.

Even if you disagree; telling a father, who is more connected to the issue, that his son isn't a "team player" isn't a very good idea.

Reaction Score
If this is Jordan's father......I beg of you not to post this kind of stuff on this board. It doesn't do anybody any good at all.

Disagree.

Jordan is being greyshirted (which he clearly wasn't excited about), and is enrolling anyway. Shows that despite some frustrations with the recruiting process, he sees enough value in UConn and his potential there to pick us over all his other suitors.

Reaction Score
Disagree.

Jordan is being greyshirted (which he clearly wasn't excited about), and is enrolling anyway. Shows that despite some frustrations with the recruiting process, he sees enough value in UConn and his potential there to pick us over all his other suitors.

Airing this stuff on here is just not a good idea. See the Lagow fiasco from Feb. This kind of conversation should be had between the player/family and staff and kept behind closed doors. We agree to disagree.

For the record, I hate oversigning.

Reaction Score
The more i think about it, having an O Lineman, who already knows blocking techniques, moving to TE, is about as good a move as we can hope for. If he's quick enough (and it seems he may be), then he will learn route running, and be ready to go.

I like the move more and more as time passes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom