Tiff, Liv, and Stephanie White (aka "CT Sun Doing Really Well at 3-0") | The Boneyard

Tiff, Liv, and Stephanie White (aka "CT Sun Doing Really Well at 3-0")

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I never expected to be saying this, but after watching one Connecticut Sun game in person and two on TV, the Sun (to my amateur eyes) show every evidence of being a well-coached team at both ends of the floor, thanks in no small part to the UConn duo of Tiffany Hayes and Olivia Nelson-Ododa. The Sun are now 3-0, with two victories over the Washington Mystics, who were projected by ESPN to be the third best team in the WNBA this season.

In both games against Washington, the Sun got down early (14-3 on Sunday and 10-3 today) and came back to win through strong 4th quarters. In tonight's game, all five Sun starters were in double figures in scoring, including Tiff with 13 points and 8 assists in 31 minutes. Liv had 15 minutes off the bench as the first big off the bench. She scored 8 points and had 2 rebounds. Meanwhile, Lauren Cox (who was generally considered better than Liv in college and was drafted much higher than Liv) sat on the Sun's bench. Cox has yet to see the floor in three games (OK, she got about 6 seconds of PT at the end of tonight's game). In that respect, Cox is in the same boat as Dijonae Carrington, who also has just those 6 seconds of PT in the first three games. That is a real surprise to me, considering how important she was last year in Curt Miller's lineup.

To my eyes, the Sun are showing a lot of good things -- getting out on the fast break whenever they can, doing some pretty interior passes between Bri Jones and Alyssa Thomas in the paint, getting to the line a whole lot. The announcers mentioned that after two games, the Sun had been to the line 69 times, while the next highest number was 44 times. (However, the Sun haven't been very good at making free throws -- perhaps the biggest weakness that they have shown thus far.) On defense, they have been able to keep Washington's power front court of EDD and Shakira Austin somewhat under control -- they scored 27 and 14 in tonight's game, but that was the lion's share of the Mystics' offense. Liv is playing very well off the bench, much better than I remember her at UConn. She in particular has been getting fouled a lot, and making perhaps 50% of her free throws (oh well).

I am glad that I renewed my season ticket for the Sun this year. Their next game is on Saturday against Stewie and Stef and the Barklay Center in Brooklyn. Now if only we can get the Lynx to play better ...

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
Every player is performing as I expected on an individual basis. We're still weak at the guard position and now (without JJ) pretty small up front. Shooting is still on the weak side. Bec Allen and Liv provide some length off the bench, at least.

I did not expect the Sun to be as "connected" as they seem to be on both offense and defense. Good communication for the most part.

I had to give up our excellent seats for the first time in over 10 years, and I miss it alot. TV/LeaguePass just isn't the same.

Reaction Score
Great news for the Sun and their fans. I know a lot of folks were concerned about the season and how the squad would look. They are looking like they have not missed a beat. 3-0. Props to Coach White.

Reaction Score
I never expected to be saying this, but after watching one Connecticut Sun game in person and two on TV, the Sun (to my amateur eyes) show every evidence of being a well-coached team at both ends of the floor, thanks in no small part to the UConn duo of Tiffany Hayes and Olivia Nelson-Ododa. The Sun are now 3-0, with two victories over the Washington Mystics, who were projected by ESPN to be the third best team in the WNBA this season.

In both games against Washington, the Sun got down early (14-3 on Sunday and 10-3 today) and came back to win through strong 4th quarters. In tonight's game, all five Sun starters were in double figures in scoring, including Tiff with 13 points and 8 assists in 31 minutes. Liv had 15 minutes off the bench as the first big off the bench. She scored 8 points and had 2 rebounds. Meanwhile, Lauren Cox (who was generally considered better than Liv in college and was drafted much higher than Liv) sat on the Sun's bench. Cox has yet to see the floor in three games (OK, she got about 6 seconds of PT at the end of tonight's game). In that respect, Cox is in the same boat as Dijonae Carrington, who also has just those 6 seconds of PT in the first three games. That is a real surprise to me, considering how important she was last year in Curt Miller's lineup.

To my eyes, the Sun are showing a lot of good things -- getting out on the fast break whenever they can, doing some pretty interior passes between Bri Jones and Alyssa Thomas in the paint, getting to the line a whole lot. The announcers mentioned that after two games, the Sun had been to the line 69 times, while the next highest number was 44 times. (However, the Sun haven't been very good at making free throws -- perhaps the biggest weakness that they have shown thus far.) On defense, they have been able to keep Washington's power front court of EDD and Shakira Austin somewhat under control -- they scored 27 and 14 in tonight's game, but that was the lion's share of the Mystics' offense. Liv is playing very well off the bench, much better than I remember her at UConn. She in particular has been getting fouled a lot, and making perhaps 50% of her free throws (oh well).

I am glad that I renewed my season ticket for the Sun this year. Their next game is on Saturday against Stewie and Stef and the Barklay Center in Brooklyn. Now if only we can get the Lynx to play better ...
The Lynx will be a work in progress. That first quarter against Atlanta, they looked like they had it going on. Game 2 and the Lynx were looking sharp!! For whatever reason, the Lynx forgot that there were three more quarters of play. Jeez. Not sure why Coach went away from Aerial Powers. But the whole team (Lynx) had issues with shot selection and playing defense. We lost to Atlanta. SMH

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Great news for the Sun and their fans. I know a lot of folks were concerned about the season and how the squad would look.
I was one of them. The coach bailing caused me some concern. But they still look like The Sun! Jonquel who? We'll be there next Tuesday.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
I'm still concerned about the 3 pt shooting. That was their weakness last year, and when they traded Jasmine Thomas I was sort of glad as she does not produce in the playoffs. Tiff Hayes is one player that can score them, but again, she is inconsistent. I thought Ty Harris would challenge for the starting PG slot, but that may evolve as the season progresses. Right now the front court is doing most of the damage as they are an elite group of players. I am surprised at the Suns start, but there are a lot of great 3pt shooters in next years draft, but if the Sun continue to do well they may not get any of them. Who do we need now, Katie Lou Samuelson, or if the Wings aren't patient, Lou Lopez-Senechel. Wouldn't that be a hoot.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Every player is performing as I expected on an individual basis. We're still weak at the guard position and now (without JJ) pretty small up front. Shooting is still on the weak side. Bec Allen and Liv provide some length off the bench, at least.

I did not expect the Sun to be as "connected" as they seem to be on both offense and defense. Good communication for the most part.

I had to give up our excellent seats for the first time in over 10 years, and I miss it alot. TV/LeaguePass just isn't the same.
NOTHING can take the place of being there. You see so much more when you're watching the game through YOUR eyes instead of a camera lens. You can't feel the "vibe" or electricity/energy in the arena on TV. Needless to say, we (UConn Nation) hope Olivia and Tiffany continue to play well throughout the season and hopefully deep into the playoffs. :cool:

I'm going to be transparent here and have a slice of humble pie as I share my thoughts on Liv................I didn't think she would make it in the WNBA. Shows what I know. I was surprised but very happy that she made the Sparks roster last year. A lot of talented players with name recognition coming out of college don't. :confused:

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Great news for the Sun and their fans. I know a lot of folks were concerned about the season and how the squad would look. They are looking like they have not missed a beat. 3-0. Props to Coach White.

Honestly I thought it was going to be a disaster. Looks like everyone has bought in White's coaching and they're off to a flying start. I just hope they can keep it up.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Who do we need now, Katie Lou Samuelson,... Wouldn't that be a hoot.
That would be hoot. Just imagine looking at her career without knowing who it was. Four teams in four seasons shooting only 35% from 3 at her best. It would be a hard pass. But maybe she's still looking for a coach who will use her right.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom