Tick and mosquito spraying | The Boneyard

Tick and mosquito spraying

temery

What?
Reaction Score
This is the second time this summer I've had someone at my door saying they were in the area spraying a neighbor's property and offered to take care of my property at a discount, seeing as though they were already in the neighborhood.

Kudos to whoever hired the smoke show who just left, but I had to laugh when she said, "If your neighbors have their yards sprayed, the ticks and mosquitoes will have nowhere to go but to yards that haven't been treated."

Bottom line: Is there any benefit to this service? I already have a couple dozen turkeys in my hard daily eating ticks, and fish in my pond to eat mosquito larva.

ColchVEGAS

Still buckin like five, deuce, four, trey.
Reaction Score
Yes, it can help with mitigating ticks and mosquitos. You can spray the yard yourself with a cedar oil based product, even just the perimeter of your yard where it meets the wooded area. Much cheaper than the service doing it and depending what they use to spray much safer for any good animals you have traveling through your yard.

Reaction Score
Absolutely is beneficial. I live in a wooded area and last year not only did I come down with Lyme's ( pretty bad case that I do not believe I'm over yet) but ticks were constantly on myself, family and pets. This year we started using Tick Ranger out of Newtown and we haven't seen 1 tick on our pets or my family. I'm sold on it.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
ticks and skeeters.
during the dry times of late spring this year, i figgered that it would be another summer of below average tick and skeeter populations, like the past few. then, when the rains set in in july, i figgered that those two might jump back. oddly, the ticks didn't to any above average level, but the skeeters are far more directly proportional, and jump back they did (and so did the bats! cool...) lot's of anomalies going on this season, including the hard science of aboot 40% of white tails having covid antibodies ( Wild U.S. deer found with coronavirus antibodies nationalgeographic.com,
Did Study Find Coronavirus Antibodies in 40% of US Wild Deer Populations? | Snopes.com), and a bunch of other obvious weirdness, but the high skeeter count is very real, and if they present a real problem to anyone, i say nuke 'em (there'll be plenty moar elsewhere for the bats and such to chomp on), tho notwithstanding the regular grey days lately, the water flo has calmed down, and if it stays this way, the skeeters should diminish somewhat, emphasis on 'should' and not 'will.' and by 'nuke 'em,' i mean localized action. not a fogger for a variety of reasons, and zero complaint with anyone who is, but we do luv us some periodic use of deet on ourselves, especially when deep in the jungle/forest, which is was what one can find in coastal Connecticut this time of year. frogs everywhere this season, too, as wasps and hornets seem to be finally waking up. mebbe they'll eat some of those bugs.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
You can spray the yard yourself with a cedar oil based product, even just the perimeter of your yard where it meets the wooded area. Much cheaper ...
Sounds good potentially for pets, humans, and veggies, but how effective is cedar oil? A quick search produces widely divergent views. Unclear, but may give it a shot.

Pro - Cedarcide Yardsafe commission-generating perspective: Yes

Con - Does it work? No

Separately, as a spray on arms, legs, and neck a mostly natural, effective spray is easy to make. Put some citronella leaf in a water spray bottle for a few days, then mix in sesame oil and lemon dish soap in 4/5 water. In Asia, just 1/5 sesame oil mixed mostly with 4/5 water is used quite effectively by farmers. Not great for sitting around the house and smelling like a sesame oil salad dressing may be unappealing, but effective for yard work.

Reaction Score
Everybody does it here in NH. My neighbor feeds turkeys so they're constantly in my yard. Found a tick on my 2 yo in April. Sprayed, and have yet to see another one.

Didn't do the mosquito (not needed), but the tick is only twice a summer and only like $80 each time.

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
We use Mosquito Squad up in NH on a woody lot next to a lake. The spray is non toxic to humans and most animals and works. We spaay every three weeks and it's much better than getting eaten alive.

Reaction Score
I always thought it was a dumb idea, but earlier this summer I spoke with another Dad who has been getting his yard sprayed for mosquitos and it said works wonders. He convinced me enough that I think I'll have it done next year.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Thanks for this thread. I just figured that anything that would work will kill the birds. Seems that's not the case.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I see a sponsored link on other sites all the time that says "Ever wonder why there are no mosquitos in Disney World"? I do but not enough to click.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score

Tick and mosquito spraying​

The trick is finding very small harnesses that will fit them securely in place during the spraying process. Once you have those, any toddler could do it.

Reaction Score
I just moved into a new home in March and have a solid 1.5 acres of woods behind, including a runoff/neighborhood drainage stream that loves to provide plenty of stagnant water. Given life events I couldn't do much lawn upkeep this year so hired a fertilizer company to come throughout, and they also offered tick spraying.

I was pulling ticks off myself and my two dogs almost daily from a green lawn and not even heading into the woods, let alone traversing through the first few feet of brush prior to opting for the treatment. Afterwards, I haven't noticed any. I would 100% recommend it for those with animals or children that find themselves tick-prone.

With that being said, I used to be on 15 acres with chickens, wild turkeys that would swing through in huge numbers, and all other wildlife, and that absolutely did the trick as we rarely were finding ticks unless it was a hike through the woods type proposition & you'd expect to anyhow. If you don't see or have ticks regularly, don't bother.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom