Thursday (3/14) games | The Boneyard

Thursday (3/14) games

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
C-USA quarterfinals:
Rice* (1) vs. North Texas (8) (12pm ET, Stadium)
Western Kentucky (4) vs. Old Dominion (5) (12:30pm, ESPN+)
UAB (2) vs. Charlotte (7) (2:30pm, Stadium)
MTSU (3) vs. UTEP (11) (3pm, ESPN+)

*Rice and Drake are the only AP top 25 teams still playing in a conference tournament.

== == == ==

Big South quarterfinals (this one's for you, @triaddukefan )
Presbyterian (9) at Radford (1) (6pm, ESPN3)
Charleston Southern (7) at High Point (2) (6pm, ESPN3)
Hampton (3) vs. Campbell (6) (8pm, ESPN3)
UNC Asheville (4) vs. Gardner-Webb (5) (8pm, ESPN3)

== == == ==

Patriot League semifinals:
Holy Cross (5) at Bucknell (1) (6pm, Patriot League Network)
Lehigh (3) at American (2) (7pm, PLN)

Northeast Conference semifinals:
St. Francis (4) at Sacred Heart (2) (6pm, ESPN3)
Mount St. Mary's (6) at Robert Morris (1) (7pm, ESPN3)

Other conferences in action:
Quarterfinals: MEAC, Colonial, Sun Belt
First/second round: Southland, Missouri Valley

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
@Plebe isnt Stadium available on SlingTV? I remember seeing some icon before.

The MEAC tourney is wierd.... since they have the men's and women's tourney at the same time.... some teams skip a day between games...... I know My aggies played yesterday... but dont play again until tomorrow in the semis.

The ACC Men's tournament really kicks into action today... if it wasnt for that... I'd might would venture over to High Point to check out the Big South tourney... and to root against Hampton :mad:

Might have to check out some of that MTSU game.....

Plebe

Reaction Score
@Plebe isnt Stadium available on SlingTV? I remember seeing some icon before.

The MEAC tourney is wierd.... since they have the men's and women's tourney at the same time.... some teams skip a day between games. I know My aggies played yesterday... but dont play again until tomorrow in the semis.

The ACC Men's tournament really kicks into action today... if it wasnt for that... I'd might would venture over to High Point to check out the Big South tourney... and to root against Hampton :mad:

Might have to check out some of that MTSU game.....
Yes, Stadium is on both Sling Orange and Sling Blue.

Plebe

Reaction Score
HUGE upset in the Colonial quarterfinals.

#1 seed James Madison (who entered the game 25-4 overall and 17-1 in conference) goes down to #9 seed Hofstra (10-21, 3-15). JMU led 26-16 at the half but gave up a 21-6 third quarter and ended up losing 57-50.

No at-large bid for the Dukes. The WNIT awaits.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
That's weird, the Big Sky, Big West, MAC and WAC are all taking the day off. I don't understand taking a break in the middle of a conference tourney (except for the WCC, which makes sure to not schedule tourney games on Sunday to accommodate BYU).

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
HUGE upset in the Colonial quarterfinals.

#1 seed James Madison (who entered the game 25-4 overall and 17-1 in conference) goes down to #9 seed Hofstra (10-21, 3-15). JMU led 26-16 at the half but gave up a 21-6 third quarter and ended up losing 57-50.

No at-large bid for the Dukes. The WNIT awaits.

grey-squirrel-yawning-istock-Dgwildlife-20180913.jpg

Thats the biggest upset in any conference tournament this year... ..

Plebe

Reaction Score
That's weird, the Big Sky, Big West, MAC and WAC are all taking the day off. I don't understand taking a break in the middle of a conference tourney (except for the WCC, which makes sure to not schedule tourney games on Sunday to accommodate BYU).
I think that their rationale is that playing 3 or more games on consecutive days is too much. I can understand the logic of a rest day.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Ive been a college basketball junkie since elementary school.... but with the advent of ESPN+, ESPN3 and the like..... its beyond ridiculous now with all the options available. Sitting on the couch watching women's basketball on the laptop.... the ACC men's tournament on TV..... checking scores on my phone..... but im not complaining :cool:

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I think that their rationale is that playing 3 or more games on consecutive days is too much. I can understand the logic of a rest day.

I think with the MEAC....... its just an logistic issue..... fitting the men's and women's games in one arena... they start the conference tournament on a monday..... finals on saturday.

Reaction Score
3 in a row is a lot but tests depth and conditioning -- both should matter IMO when distilling out a champion

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Yeah, but with byes and sometimes double byes, how many teams are actually playing more than 3 in a row? Most of the teams that play the opening day of the tournaments get eliminated before semifinals or finals.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Wow, I just saw something in the UAB-Charlotte game that I have never seen in all my years.

Charlotte had the ball near the end of the first half, with a 2-second differential between game and shot clocks. A Charlotte player took an outside shot just before the shot clock expired. Her shot glanced off the rim and was caught by a UAB player, who, having heard the buzzer go off, then casually flipped the ball up and into the basket.

The UAB player was obviously thinking that the half was over, not realizing that it was still a live ball with over 1 second left on the game clock. Luckily her team is still up by 15, and she herself has been having a great game, 5-5 on 3-pointers. But man, if Charlotte happens to come back...

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
The Big South tournament has both the host teams playing first.... in the 6pm slot. Gonna be near empty gyms for the second games of the double header

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Wow, I just saw something in the UAB-Charlotte game that I have never seen in all my years.

Ha. You get own goals in soccer or a confused player running the wrong way for a TD in football on rare occasions. I think the only time I've seen a defensive player score for the other team in basketball is a fluky tip in. Oops.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I wanna say something... but i dont wanna jinx it

Plebe

Reaction Score
I wanna say something... but i dont wanna jinx it
LOL I have a strong idea what you want to say.

It has to do with a school whose name rhymes with Tadford.

Or does it rhyme with My Point?

Reaction Score
Ha. You get own goals in soccer or a confused player running the wrong way for a TD in football on rare occasions. I think the only time I've seen a defensive player score for the other team in basketball is a fluky tip in. Oops.
I guess these don’t count as defensive players: A long time ago I was at a Stanford men’s game when a Cardinal forward got a layup on the wrong basket off the opening tip.

And this is pretty crazy.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
sadpanther.jpg

:(:(:(:(:(:(:( My Panthers go down to defeat..... 65-61.. just second home loss of the season...... Head bangHead bangHead bangHead bangHead bang

Plebe

Reaction Score
View attachment 40926
:(:(:(:(:(:(:( My Panthers go down to defeat..... 65-61.. just second home loss of the season. Head bangHead bangHead bangHead bangHead bang
I watched the end of it. A rather anticlimactic finish to an otherwise good season.

Would you say this is the "low point" of the season? :rolleyes:
And would you say that their season went "south" in a "big" way tonight? :cool:

Sorry, couldn't resist.
But what would you have rather seen? A drubbing in the 1st round of the NCAAs or maybe a win or two in the WNIT?

Reaction Score
Red Flash win again. Move to NEC final. I like Jess Kovatch. If they make to NCAA, I hope they do better than against UCONN last year. The coach that had them play so fast and loose last year has taken time off. The athletic director, Susan Robinson Fruchtl, has them playing a different style this year; slow game and pressing defense.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I watched the end of it. A rather anticlimactic finish to an otherwise good season.

Would you say this is the "low point" of the season? :rolleyes:
And would you say that their season went "south" in a "big" way tonight? :cool:

Sorry, couldn't resist.
But what would you have rather seen? A drubbing in the 1st round of the NCAAs or maybe a win or two in the WNIT?

Its a senior led team... and HPU has never been in the NCAA's.... so I would rather see them get an invite even if it meant a first round stomping.

Reaction Score
copying my post over:

1 seed James Madison (17-1, 25-4) vs 9 seed Hofstra (3-15, 10-21). JMU won regular season 77-54 and 59-44.
JMU led 26-16 at half then fell apart in 3Q, getting outscored 21-6. They lost 57-50 !
Pretty amazing upset.
They _might_ have been a bubble team had they lost in the final. But, no, they're WNIT bound after such a horrific loss.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom