Thurs. games -- TN and FSU lose; MissSt escapes (merged threads) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Thurs. games -- TN and FSU lose; MissSt escapes (merged threads)

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Deshields went out early with a neck injury (She was on the court for 4 minutes and carted off in a stretcher - I think she went to the hospital - hope she's ok - poor kid)...

But just wow. Stunningly bad loss...

Reaction Score
And Florida State lost to Virginia 60-51. Romero had 3 points on 1-8 shooting, 1-5 FT's. Did she get hurt too?

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I've had my eye on Clemson this season and last - 'cause the have totally s&cked since forever. But Coach Smith is turning them around.

It's pretty hard to go any direction but up from 4-25, which was their record last year. They went 9-2 in the OOC this year, but their nonconference SOS was #210. This is a team that lost at home to Oregon by 30. They did beat Georgia Tech for a decent win.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Tennessee beat Bama 42 straight times and now have lost 2 in a row to them.
I did not know that. In spite of no DD, there is no way to sugar coat just how bad a loss that is... On a positive for them, JUCO transfer Nunn lit it up with 15 points and 15 boards. Russell had 17 and 9...

Reaction Score
Yes hope DD is OK ... But wow Tennessee is a poor excuse for a hoops team.... I am sorry I have never teed off on them before but tonight is so tempting to do so.... Tennessee is simply not committed to play basketball with the big girls.... they have no heart.... you have the #1 and #6 overall nationally ranked players on your front line and you get out rebounded on the offensive glass 22-10 .... even your coach says that it is merely a question of effort. These gals have absolutely no heart. I am sorry to our TN friends who post here.... it is terrible basketball to watch... porous defense.... that makes Alabama look lightning quick..... and how can you air ball an uncontested layup? Announcers give excuse to the team .... said that "without Tea Cooper and without Diamond this game, Holly Warlick's hands have been tied" REALLY? What does that mean exactly? Call it for what it is guys, a pitiful performance!!!! Announcers also pointed out that 5 of TN's losses were by 19 pts. Failed to say that a few of the wins were by scant margins..... should we say that too ... that a few wins could have been losses? It all is just terrible basketball.

Reaction Score
We see how different UConn is from Tennessee. UConn plays their hardest on every play of every quarter of every game. And it doesn't matter whom they're playing. Tennessee players can't be bothered to exert themselves when they're playing nobodies. They only get up to play when they're in "big" games. But since they lose to the nobodies, their "big" games are only big games to them.

24 losses in two seasons. And counting. And these are the people who "refuse" to play UConn? Give me a break!

Reaction Score
Just got home from the UVA game. FSU didn't lose just because Thomas went down. FSU has the best rebounding margin in the ACC - UVA outrebounded them by 10. FSU is a pretty good 3 pt shooting team (Romero one of the best in the country) - their 3 starting guards shot 3 for 20. UVA has a swarming defense that can be effective for periods of the game - tonight it was consistently tough. UVA has played some pretty good teams tough. Lost to Louisville after blowing a big lead. Same with Syracuse. Sure losing Thomas made a difference, but she wasn't dominating. I think Monday's double OT game might have had a bigger impact. UVA has been on the verge of this all year. They're starting 3 freshmen. They look really ugly at times - yes, missed tons of layups! Tonite they finally pulled it all together for a whole game. GO HOOS!

Reaction Score
And Florida State lost to Virginia 60-51. Romero had 3 points on 1-8 shooting, 1-5 FT's. Did she get hurt too?
No, Romero not injured. As I mentioned on another thread, UVA played well, Thomas went down in the third quarter...and FSU may have been impacted by the 2 OT game on Monday.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
It's pretty hard to go any direction but up from 4-25, which was their record last year. They went 9-2 in the OOC this year, but their nonconference SOS was #210. This is a team that lost at home to Oregon by 30. They did beat Georgia Tech for a decent win.

They are really young.... I dont think they have any seniors or juniors that play significant minutes.... I know at least they dont have any seniors. They had a few transfers out in the past few seasons. But they are a scrappy bunch. They had a 40+ game conference losing streak.... which they ended a few weeks ago with the win over GaTech. I watched the last few minutes on replay.... they were so excited to break the streak.... they celebrated as if they were going to the Final Four. :)

Reaction Score
Surfed around the various games tonight and one thing struck me. There aren't many teams to be concerned about from a UCONN perspective, especially no teams in the ACC.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Once again when pressed ND went to 1 on 1 ball with 11 assists on 32 made baskets. Turner played only 19 mins, was 4-4 and 9 points. Shame, but as I've said before, this is a sure route to a SS or at best E8 exit.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Once again when pressed ND went to 1 on 1 ball with 11 assists on 32 made baskets. Turner played only 19 mins, was 4-4 and 9 points. Shame, but as I've said before, this is a sure route to a SS or at best E8 exit.

Kind of hard to say that offense was the problem when ND shot 55%. Assist totals notwithstanding, I didn't think ND abandoned the offense. Definitely was not in sync but that's to be expected with no Westbeld and Turner out for long stretches.

ND needs both of them fit and in form to be successful in the tourney.

Out of curiosity, did you watch the game?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Stanford & Cal tied at 66 with 1:40 left.

Hard-fought game by both teams. The rebounding Samuelson only has 3 ribbies, but has 15 points. Alanna Smith has 27 off the bench, but just fouled out.

Edit: Karlie ices it, making 2 FT's with 4 seconds left. Final Stanford 72-66

Last edited:

JordyG

Reaction Score
Kind of hard to say that offense was the problem when ND shot 55%. I didn't think ND abandoned the offense. A lot of the points came from Marina off the dribble or using screens, which were good shots that came in the flow of the offense but wouldn't lead to an assist.

Some. I didn't say scoring 84 points is bad. What you're saying is just putting a positive spin on what I've just said. Their offense of dribbledribble shoot against a marginal Clemson team is okay because you won. My argument is once again it ain't gonna work when the The Dance starts, and that this team tends to devolve into this style once the pressure starts. Muffet's response to this game was "We didn't come prepared to play today". My eyes say that perhaps this is becoming a trend, and that involving Turner for more than 4 shots is a better road to a championship.

Last edited:

JordyG

Reaction Score
Kind of hard to say that offense was the problem when ND shot 55%. Assist totals notwithstanding, I didn't think ND abandoned the offense. Definitely was not in sync but that's to be expected with no Westbeld and Turner out for long stretches.

ND needs both of them fit and in form to be successful in the tourney.

Let me be a little clearer. Against GT ND had 16 assists on 38 made FG's. Tonight, 11/32. Not a good trend. Hopefully against Syracuse this will change. I've said often that to me Muffet is the 2nd best coach in WCBB. I also don't hold the animosity some here have for ND. Against any other team than UConn I actually root for ND. Well, actually I'd root for Dawn against you guys. Otherwise, I've been a fan of Muffet and her program.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
ND Won the Game, but no way should they be giving up 80 points to Clemson. They'll play better teams early in the NCAA tournament and can't be giving up 80 points. If they do, like last year, they'll not see the F4.

No Westbeld (ankle). Turner in foul trouble all game. When both of them are our ND has no post presence. Kristina Nelson is not effective.

Arike was off her game, too. Mabrey had her A game and that's all that saved ND. It was bowling shoe ugly.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Stanford has been kinda lucky to pull out a couple wins lately. Smith really bailed them out, the starters other than Samuelson struggled to score tonight. The Cardinal have a rematch w/ Cal in Palo Alto (stupid scheduling quirk w/ the Pac 12 where you play your rival in back-to-back games), then finish the season on the road at the Oregon schools. Against OSU will probably be a low scoring tight game. The Ducks have been coming on strong lately, both games could be a tough test for Stanford.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
Stanford & Cal tied at 66 with 1:40 left.

Hard-fought game by both teams. The rebounding Samuelson only has 3 ribbies, but has 15 points. Alanna Smith has 27 off the bench, but just fouled out.

Edit: Karlie ices it, making 2 FT's with 4 seconds left. Final Stanford 72-66

Karlies a BEAST!!!!

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Notre Dame plays Syracuse on Sunday 5 PM ESPN2. Should be an interesting game. Saw a Tweet where Syracuse is expecting 10,000 fans at the game. Which would be an attendance record. Maybe that's why Coach Q was still playing his starters and was pressing late in the blowout win over North Carolina.

With the FSU loss, Maryland has definitely moved up to a #2 Seed. Wouldn't surprise me, by Selection Date, Maryland is not a #1 Seed.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
They are really young... I dont think they have any seniors or juniors that play significant minutes... I know at least they dont have any seniors. They had a few transfers out in the past few seasons. But they are a scrappy bunch. They had a 40+ game conference losing streak... which they ended a few weeks ago with the win over GaTech. I watched the last few minutes on replay... they were so excited to break the streak... they celebrated as if they were going to the Final Four. :)

You're right about no seniors on Clemson, but their leading scorer is a junior, and out of 8 players averaging more than 18 minutes per game, four are juniors (plus two sophomores and two freshmen).

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Clemson scores 80 on ND, but Duke can only manage 58 Head bang

You're right about no seniors on Clemson, but their leading scorer is a junior, and out of 8 players averaging more than 18 minutes per game, four are juniors (plus two sophomores and two freshmen).

Well as least I was right about something :p

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom