Throwing the Ball to the Ref After a Make | The Boneyard

Throwing the Ball to the Ref After a Make

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Has anybody else noticed Spencer and Newton doing this?

After a tough made basket, they'll make a point to grab the ball out of the net and toss it to the ref. It's a subtle thing, but buys us a few seconds to get back on D and shuts down any kind of a counter-break. Heady.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
I've noticed it, and I know you're not supposed to handle the ball after a make. The refs could warn for delay for doing that, but if you throw it to them they're less likely.

Reaction Score
Yes, i noticed it too. It happens more this season than ive ever seen before.

I never considered that they were doing it to buy time. If so, it's a cool idea. Ive seen Diarra do it a few times too.

I always thought they were near the ball and didnt want to get a delay of game. But you may be right.

Reaction Score
I know Jokic did something similar with an inbounds recently that killed several seconds in a close game in the closing minutes.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
I know. It should be a delay of game every single time. Fir everyone. It’s rarely called.

The reason it isn’t is because that’s not really practical. If it’s obvious they’re going out of their way to grab the ball or delay, it’s automatic.

Reaction Score
I know. It should be a delay of game every single time. Fir everyone. It’s rarely called.
This is the rule:

1. Attempting to gain an advantage by interfering with the ball after a goal or by failing to immediately pass the ball to the nearest official after a whistle is blown. (See Rule 10-4.1.1)
So immediately getting the ball and throwing it to the ref I guess technically could be called but it would be absurd if it was, unless the scoring player was going way out of their way to retrieve the ball. It is certainly not a required foul by the rule book.

Reaction Score
It's actually not in the rulebook written that way. It has language that says" Attempting to gain an advantage by interfering with the ball after a goal or by failing to immediately pass the ball to the nearest official after a whistle is blown"

There are many times where the ball goes through the hoop and it drops quickly and o boarders are jumping for rebounds and it just lands in their lap. By natural reaction they catch it. Because this happens they don't make the rule that you can't touch it after it goes in. Also, when the ball is rolling down to the other side of the court and a guy from the scoring team grabs it and throws it to a ref they don't want to have to penalize that player. Now there is grey area there because our guys are certainly making a predetermined decision to grab the ball and throw it to the refs. That should/could be a delay of game.

Reaction Score
This is the rule:

1. Attempting to gain an advantage by interfering with the ball after a goal or by failing to immediately pass the ball to the nearest official after a whistle is blown. (See Rule 10-4.1.1)
So immediately getting the ball and throwing it to the ref I guess technically could be called but it would be absurd if it was, unless the scoring player was going way out of their way to retrieve the ball. It is certainly not a required foul by the rule book.
While I appreciate anyone digging into a basketball rule book, I think the part that you highlighted does not pertain to this specific act. You highlighted a part about a player not giving the official the ball after a whistle has been blown (i.e., a foul called or a travelling violation). After a made basket, there is no whistle, so I don't think this part really addresses the issue.

Like others have said, it should be called a delay of game immediately (the first time it happens is the official warning). The next time anyone on that team does it again, or any one of the other 3 DOG violations, the team is assessed a technical foul (at least at the HS level...NCAA has slightly different rules on technical fouls that I'm not 100% up on). It clearly gives the new defense an opportunity to set their press up, which puts the offense at a huge disadvantage. It's definitely on purpose in my mind, but like others have said, rarely called.

Reaction Score
Refs need to crack down on it. And if anything, it hurts UConn's ability to play fast after an opponent make.

What I noticed last night was Spencer taking time to grab the ball after Butler makes. The clock continues to run and the five second to inbound the ball doesn't start until he picks up the ball. Slowly milking the clock even further.

Reaction Score
While I appreciate anyone digging into a basketball rule book, I think the part that you highlighted does not pertain to this specific act. You highlighted a part about a player not giving the official the ball after a whistle has been blown (i.e., a foul called or a travelling violation). After a made basket, there is no whistle, so I don't think this part really addresses the issue.

Like others have said, it should be called a delay of game immediately (the first time it happens is the official warning). The next time anyone on that team does it again, or any one of the other 3 DOG violations, the team is assessed a technical foul (at least at the HS level...NCAA has slightly different rules on technical fouls that I'm not 100% up on). It clearly gives the new defense an opportunity to set their press up, which puts the offense at a huge disadvantage. It's definitely on purpose in my mind, but like others have said, rarely called.
Fair enough. I have literally never seen it called outside of truly egregious instance where the ball is held before being thrown back. In practice, I clearly refs feel that it does not rise to gaining an advantage, even if that is the intent.

Reaction Score
didn't they get a delay of game for this recently? Feels like it was called in either the St Johns or Prov game but I'm not 100% sure

Reaction Score
Makes me think of...

1707334995110.png

Reaction Score
Touching the ball through the hoop, if there is an advantage gained, it should be delay.

Everyone does it, true, but I don’t think giving it to the officials after I falls through the basket is legal. That should be an automatic delay

Reaction Score
Refs need to crack down on it. And if anything, it hurts UConn's ability to play fast after an opponent make.

What I noticed last night was Spencer taking time to grab the ball after Butler makes. The clock continues to run and the five second to inbound the ball doesn't start until he picks up the ball. Slowly milking the clock even further.
Yeah, this too, especially with a moderate lead late in the game, effectively makes the 30 second clock 33-35 seconds and reduces the game by a possession if done several times over 5 minutes, which matters when the opponent needs to overcome a 3+ possession deficit.

Reaction Score
You could also do the “inadvertent” kick of the ball after a made basket. I’ve done that trick many a times back in the day to slow down a fast break. :Oops:

Reaction Score
That’s been going on forever, it’s definitely not to delay the other team. I think it’s more of a swagger thing like” I just got a bucket- grabbed ball thru hoop- here , take that” / mic drop kind of thing- I do it in pickup after an assertive hoop. Not a big deal. I like it.
Btw- is it possible we have 4 guys on our team in the running for all big east first team ? Newton Spencer, Karaban , Clingan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom