Throw him the damn ball. | The Boneyard

Throw him the damn ball.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Giff played well today. He was wide open on many occasions but they barely ever look his way.

Reaction Score
I noticed that as well, started feeling sorry for him. Watching his bench demeanor you couldn't tell if it bothered him. He was a cheerleader all the way. He could turn into a secret weapon with more court time.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
He can shoot. When he's wide open, I agree. Get him the ball.

Reaction Score
Was nice to see him get some minutes today.
Definitely can shoot the ball.
Had a couple nice steals as well....

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
He's almost always wide open, other teams just don't defend against the guy. I'm not sure why, because he's an efficient long range shooter.

Reaction Score
I opened the thread to see if it was going to be about Lamb or Drummond. Neils? I like him too, but three or four shots a game might be enough for him.

Reaction Score
giffey doesnt need the ball more. if hes open and theyre giving him the shot take it but he should never be the #1 option on the floor. i like gif and with the talent he clearly has it surprises me that hes not a better player. im really pulling for him though and i love his attitude.

Reaction Score
I opened the thread to see if it was going to be about Lamb or Drummond. Neils? I like him too, but three or four shots a game might be enough for him.

duck* that. If he is as open as he was today, I'm letting him take those shots. He can shoot the open shots.

Reactions: Fe
Reaction Score
Honestly, if he could consistently be a reliable spot-up three-point shooter, he'd add a lot to the offense, just by opening up driving lanes for Lamb, Napier and Boat, and preventing double-teams for our bigs. DD started the year looking like he'd be good in that role, but his three-point shooting has fallen a bit. Roscoe showed that range in flashes last year, but it hasn't been there this year. We don't need a lot of offense from the 3 spot with this team, but it'd help if the person was a threat and could keep his defender (or his side of the zone) honest.

Reaction Score
Next year will be Niels' and Roscoe's big chance to take a large step forward. When Jeremy leaves there will be a significant opportunity for those two, plus DeAndre. I know Omar Calhoun is coming and he will contribute, but the junior versions of Niels and Roscoe may be ready to take the next step. As far as this season goes, Niels just needs to hit the open shot, continue to play solid D and make some nice passes when he gets in there.

Reaction Score
Being a great team is about taking the best shot you can get each time down the floor. If Giff, or Lamb, or Napier, or Daniels, or the BS, and maybe RS, is wide open, and I mean wide like your typical Sprawlmart shopper's ass, then that will generally be the best shot. Generally.

If the other team, for whatever reason, leaves any of our 3 shooters open, then you feed them the ball. 3 shots. 20 shots. It doesn't matter. Guys shouldn't get shots to make a quota, and they shouldn't pass on shots or get frozen out because they're over their quota. If they're open and it's the best shot, get them the ball.

BTW - our 3PT% is tops in the BE. How's that for a change?

Reaction Score
It depends when he is open. I don't like launching threes early in the shot clock, unless it's a wide open three by Lamb. I know Bazz does it occasionally, but that's part of game and it is rare.

I think Giffey was open on the wing early in the shot clock and Bazz was wise to run the offense. I didn't get the sense he was being frozen out. But it is obviously the offense doesn't run through Giffey and he probably should get more touches.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
It was the same story last year. Bazz in particular would rather pull a Dyson than give the ball to an open Giffey.

Reaction Score
It was the same story last year. Bazz in particular would rather pull a Dyson than give the ball to an open Giffey.

Who's Dyson and whoever he is, what's he doing in this thread?

C

Chief00

Quite frankly, our team ball movement, spacing and player movement is a work in progress. AD is often open for dunks as well and doesn't receive the ball. On a team in which guards are legitimately looked to to score points you have this dynamic. Last year we found the right balance, saw some progress toward it yesterday - but still much more work to be done.
From a coaches perspective, Giffey clearly knows how to play the game the right way - so I do see JC turning to him at the end of close games; when you need that BB IQ in the game. I also like Daniels and quite frankly both Giffey and Daniels get minutes primarily at Roscoe's expense. But neither is the rebounder or tough defender Roscoe can be if we play straight man. If we play some helpping out concept in the man defense then Roscoe often gets in in between land and makes poor decisions - so when we are in that type of defense - I prefer Giffey or Daniels.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Giffey got the ball fine. The only major blunder on this note I saw was late 1st half when Boat ignored a wide open Lamb left and decided to dribble into traffic and force it right.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Giffey got the ball fine. The only major blunder on this note I saw was late 1st half when Boat ignored a wide open Lamb left and decided to dribble into traffic and force it right.
Exactly. That was about the only "forced play" in which there was an obvious better option.

I'm with Prezident, the idea of shot quotas is less important than looking for the open player or best shot. It is obvious from the St. John's game that a number of players can score. Over 60% made shots is absurd.

I felt the guards were comfortable with Niels and were not trying to exclude him in any way. They were trying different things first, per the coaches.

One of the difficulties all of us should take into consideration about game play is that as fans, we are seeing a camera perspective of the floor, which is quite different from the guards perspective. We cannot tell if the people playing the guards influence the plays from our perspective.

Reaction Score
When I opened this thread, I thought it was going to be about Drummond and Oriakhi. I realize neither of them are smooth operators down low, but I think they can be adequate enough where it at least opens things up for our guards, plus, the only way they'll get better in the post is by getting the ball. Oriakhi in particular has had some nice moves these last couple of games, and he's the type of guy whos whole game picks up once he gets a couple buckets down low.

On Giffey, I agree. I trust him shooting the three much more than Daniels at this point in time. Every time he shoots it I think the ball is going in. He needs more minutes. He makes good decisions with the ball, he plays good defense, and he's a knockdown shooter, or close to it.

All that said, Shabazz is maybe the best PG we've had since Marcus in terms of seeing the floor, and getting guys the ball in position to score. Some of the passes he makes to Drummond blow your mind. Him and Drummond seem to be developing a special connection.

Reaction Score
Not if he is making them.

Reaction Score
Must be because he's obsessed with throwing alley-00ps.

Reaction Score
I love Niels Giffey. I think he will play an important role in this team this year. The man knows how to score.

I think it is becoming more obvious who our scorers are on the team and who is not. Jim Calhoun has the great ability of being able to put a group on the floor that can match with any team. I think Giffey is one of the best shooters on the court, so if we ever were to get down in a match, I'd actually expect us to see him play significant minutes. On the other hand, I don't think we'll see much of him if UConn is leading unless we have significant foul trouble at PG. I see him as being the boost of energy off the bench that can land a couple of 3s, especially if Lamb and Napier start getting doubled. And Giffey's defense is passable so that he could be a real contributor in the +/- ratio.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom