Through bruises and missing teeth, Donovan Clingan helping UConn men: 'We didn't know he'd be this dominant' (Mike Anthony) | The Boneyard

Through bruises and missing teeth, Donovan Clingan helping UConn men: 'We didn't know he'd be this dominant' (Mike Anthony)

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
“Trying to back him down like I was backing down high schoolers, and I wasn't going anywhere,” Clingan said. “It's like trying to move a brick wall. Adama is the reason why I keep getting better. Battle against him, one of the best big men in the country, is a privilege for me. It also helps him, too. He doesn't see too many seven-footers. Practicing against someone who is 7-2 definitely helps.”

Clingan never lacked confidence, never felt uncomfortable.

“He's a guy who wants to do it,” said Sanogo, a captain who is hard on new players, setting an immediate expectation. “A lot of freshman when they come, they see some things they don’t want to do. They want to go home. Donovan was not that type of person. It was impressive.”

This! This is the best way! They have spoken!

Reaction Score
They had a team photo shoot after practice, the night of Donovan’s Red Fox event and he took the initiative and responsibility on his own to text 4 times: about the delay, when he left, when he was near and about ready to pull in. Very impressive diligence for a guy his age. He arrived only 5 minutes late but there were no worries since we knew what was going on.

Reaction Score
I just wish we tried playing adama and dc together a few x
Eh, they did. Sanogo just isn't mobile enough to stay with a 4. The only thing we haven't tried is the reverse. Clingan doesn't even have Sanogo's mobility on defense, but he might have the length to deal with a 4, except on the 3 point line. Not sure how many 4s are running around coming off screens, but that would definitely be a problem as well.

I think a lot of us thing of this as a thing based on the more traditional center and power forward where both guys are really post players. But in today's game, that's rarely if ever true. Putting two big posts out there creates just as much of a mismatch when UConn is on defense as the reverse.

Reaction Score
Eh, they did. Sanogo just isn't mobile enough to stay with a 4. The only thing we haven't tried is the reverse. Clingan doesn't even have Sanogo's mobility on defense, but he might have the length to deal with a 4, except on the 3 point line. Not sure how many 4s are running around coming off screens, but that would definitely be a problem as well.

I think a lot of us thing of this as a thing based on the more traditional center and power forward where both guys are really post players. But in today's game, that's rarely if ever true. Putting two big posts out there creates just as much of a mismatch when UConn is on defense as the reverse.
So our high hedge defense leaves Adama on point guards and that’s ok but he can’t guard a 4 with his great feet? Of course he can.

Reaction Score

“I get nervous about that much attention and money for an 18-, 19-year-old,” he said. “And as a father, I’ve got to set him up for success because I want to make sure that he’s mature enough to handle not only the money, but just the pressure and everything that he’s going to be under.”

This is what I mentioned in a post a couple months ago. His father is very smart. Getting to the NBA as quickly as possible isn't always the best thing. It's another world being a professional in the NBA compared to being in college.

Reaction Score
“I get nervous about that much attention and money for an 18-, 19-year-old,” he said. “And as a father, I’ve got to set him up for success because I want to make sure that he’s mature enough to handle not only the money, but just the pressure and everything that he’s going to be under.”

This is what I mentioned in a post a couple months ago. His father is very smart. Getting to the NBA as quickly as possible isn't always the best thing. It's another world being a professional in the NBA compared to being in college.
Amen - That’s the right approach. Seen guys who do it this way and guys who don’t. At the end of the day, the guys who do it this way are much better off in life.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom