Through 2 Games | The Boneyard

Through 2 Games

Reaction Score
This year, through 2 games, we are 2-0.

Last year we were 0-2.

This team has some obvious short comings but I think they have shown a marked improvement from last year.

Not only in talent and execution but in heart and hustle also.

This team looks like it gives a crap.

Yankees32123

'99, '04, '11, '14, '23
Reaction Score
This time last year we were 0-2 and then lost Gilbert and Larrier for the season in our next two games, so pretty much anything is an improvement from that. BUT I agree I do see good improvements in key areas i.e. rebounding (big dogs Onuorah and Cobb can eat), disrupting passing lanes (thanks Polley) and having Jalen, Terry and Alterique out there together.

I'm not worried about Vital, his shot will start falling if he takes better shots and he'll find his role. I'm EXTREMELY impressed with Anderson and Polley. Having those dudes contributing at a high level is going to be key. Overall, there have been a lot of negatives, but we are trending in the right direction.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
No one is pushing our Large Adult Rebounding Sons (#LARS) around this year
I agree. I mean Adrien toughness. Bazz, boat, and Kemba confidence

Reaction Score
His on the ball defense and veteran leadership are both things this team desperately needed
So different from Gibbs who was a scorer first but also had jalen apprenticing.

Reaction Score
And unexpected, no?

No I think they were somewhat expected. Competent guard. Athletic with a willingness to take and make big time clutch shots. His video coming in had him pulling up for long 3s to win games.

Think the only question was would those traits translates over to the caliber of players hell face in AAC or our out of conference opponents.

His midrange pull up game has been was nice to see yesterday.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
There are some very nice pieces to work with on this team. The bigs are energetic and the perimeter players can get to the rim. We threw up our share of bricks last night but that will get better. There are some other things to work on but all in all I look forward to seeing how much this team can improve as the season moves on.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
No I think they were somewhat expected. Competent guard. Athletic with a willingness to take and make big time clutch shots. His video coming in had him pulling up for long 3s to win games.

Think the only question was would those traits translates over to the caliber of players hell face in AAC or our out of conference opponents.

See, I thought he'd be a 10-15 minute player, tops. I though Adams, Gilbert, and Vital would all get north of 25 minutes and fill 70-90 of the minutes afforded to the backcourt. I didn't know what to expect from Anderson. So from that angle, he is a pleasant and unexpected surprise.

Last edited:

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
See, I thought he'd be a 10-15 minute player, tops. I though Adams, Gilbert, and Vital would all get north of 25 minutes and fill 70-90 of the afforded to the backcourt. I didn't know what to expect from Anderson. So from that angle, he is a pleasant and unexpected surprise.

We're still only 2 games in. Vital proved his worth in a number of games last year, he's just off to a slow start this year. And ultimately, I imagine Vital's ceiling > where Anderson is at.

That said - it's nice to have his experience out there at the moment while the team is still getting used to playing together.

Reaction Score
Last year we were 0-2.

And last years team would be 0-2 this year too. Even if they were to play even against SB for the first 30 minutes, once they go down by 9, they would have folded and it would have been similar, if not worse than the game vs Wagner. I also think Uconn from last year loses that Colgate game by a few points.

Honestly, it means little, but Colgate, so far at least, is a better team than Wagner and Stony Brook, so far, is head and heels above NEastern from last year. Uconn is struggling to beat low majors, but these 2 are at least better than the first two low majors last year who beat the Huskies. Ok, that hurt to say...sigh.

Husky25

Reaction Score
And last years team would be 0-2 this year too. Even if they were to play even against SB for the first 30 minutes, once they go down by 9, they would have folded and it would have been similar, if not worse than the game vs Wagner. I also think Uconn from last year loses that Colgate game by a few points.

Honestly, it means little, but Colgate, so far at least, is a better team than Wagner and Stony Brook, so far, is head and heels above NEastern from last year. Uconn is struggling to beat low majors, but these 2 are at least better than the first two low majors last year who beat the Huskies. Ok, that hurt to say...sigh.
Good think you typed it!!!

Not afraid to admit that I started to use the double time speed on the DVR when they went down 9, just like last year. It was late and I was getting tired. I did watch in real time once UConn cut the lead to 3 again.

Reaction Score
Good think you typed it!!!

What do you mean? What I mean is, I think Uconn has made strides in the first two games this year. They overcame adversity and beat a better low major team than the two that beat Uconn last year.

Husky25

Reaction Score
What do you mean? What I mean is, I think Uconn has made strides in the first two games this year. They overcame adversity and beat a better low major team than the two that beat Uconn last year.
You said it "hurt to say," but you didn't say it. You typed it...Bad late day humor...:p

It hurt to read, but I understood what you meant after stewing on it for a couple a few.

Reaction Score
As I watch both games I can see that our offense isn’t bad at all. We’re moving the ball from one side to the other, A lot of movement we just have to make shots. Too many times we get a good shot and instead of taking that shot they over think, which leads to traveling and throwing up wild looking shots at the basket. I also see that we’re not hitting the big man running down the lane after the screening motion. Nevertheless, I love our new style approach on offense

Reaction Score
I also see that we’re not hitting the big man running down the lane after the screening motion.
Agreed. I noticed at least a couple times last night that Cobb and/or Onuorah set a screen at the foul line then rolled to the basket (as they should) and were wide open for a layup but the guard with the ball never even looked at them. If you're going to pick and roll then you at least need to take a quick peek when the 5 rolls to the basket.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

A10 & AAC are the same level

Reaction Score
I just wanted to add, I understand this is off topic, but Uconn’s Announcer Gary Apple is a very likable announcer, hard not to like that guy.

Makes me feel like home when I hear his voice, very comfortable.

Not sure how you all feel??

Reaction Score
As I watch both games I can see that our offense isn’t bad at all. We’re moving the ball from one side to the other, A lot of movement we just have to make shots. Too many times we get a good shot and instead of taking that shot they over think, which leads to traveling and throwing up wild looking shots at the basket. I also see that we’re not hitting the big man running down the lane after the screening motion. Nevertheless, I love our new style approach on offense

You know, I was thinking this too.

They are motioning better on offense than years past, not just passing the ball around the perimeter.

Now they just need those shots to fall.

Reaction Score
I hope this is sarcasm
What do you disagree with, you think its harder to score in the AAC than in the A10? Non-conference wise he will be facing a tougher schedule but in-conference he's not stepping up a level, both conferences are relatively on the same level of players/competition.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom