Three Way CT Sun Trade Sun Get Kizer & Draft Pick | The Boneyard

Three Way CT Sun Trade Sun Get Kizer & Draft Pick

Reaction Score
The Sun to me have become a way station for lottery picks on their way to other teams. They remind me of the Kansas City A's back in the 50's and 60's who sold off their talent every summer to the Yankees. Back when the order of the draft was held behind closed doors the Sun would always end up at the back of the line. I'd love to become a fan but when the league obviously funnels stars to favored franchises it seems futile to do so when the deck is stacked against your team.

To my way of seeing things, the league is taking advantage of the fact that the popularity of women's basketball in the area will keep fans attending regardless of the product and arranges for the stars to play elsewhere. As long as the Sun draw good sized crowds they will remain an also ran. And when they stop drawing those crowds they will disappear.

When will CO be gone? Not long after she gets healthy IMO.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
The Sun to me have become a way station for lottery picks on their way to other teams. They remind me of the Kansas City A's back in the 50's and 60's who sold off their talent every summer to the Yankees. Back when the order of the draft was held behind closed doors the Sun would always end up at the back of the line. I'd love to become a fan but when the league obviously funnels stars to favored franchises it seems futile to do so when the deck is stacked against your team.

To my way of seeing things, the league is taking advantage of the fact that the popularity of women's basketball in the area will keep fans attending regardless of the product and arranges for the stars to play elsewhere. As long as the Sun draw good sized crowds they will remain an also ran. And when they stop drawing those crowds they will disappear.

When will CO be gone? Not long after she gets healthy IMO.
I think that is a conspiracy theory with no evidence to support it. The Sun's problems began with their own decision to let Mike Thibault go, without having a really viable alternative. The league certainly had nothing to do with the Tina Charles fiasco either -- that was totally homemade. And the fact that Katy Douglas left to be close to home and then came back when she could hardly play physically anymore didn't help.

If Chiney leaves, it will be to be closer to friends and family, which is why a lot of players move around in the WNBA. The salaries aren't enough to compensate them for being away from home during the summer, which is the only time that most of them are able to spend in the USA.

Regarding this specific trade, I like it. Camille Little is a very dispensable player, in my opinion, and Lynette Kizer (as a proven player) is more valuable than a mere hope to Jillian Alleyne would have worked out. I was very impressed with what I saw of Kizer in the Indiana games at Mohegan Sun last year.

Reaction Score
I've always liked Jillian Alleyne and thought she might develop into a really valuable
part of the Sun. No doubt though that Kizer is a stronger player now and a better bet
in the short term.

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
OK, first and foremost, Camille Little was a class act while here. Despite not being really happy with the move from Seattle to Uncasville, she was a real pro and worked diligently to lead her younger teammates both vocally and by example. She was a very good defender for her size and more than a few times kept the Sun in games with her 3-point shooting and work around the basket. I hope she is happy at her next stop.

Lynette Kizer always seemed to play pretty well against the Sun, hopefully she can improve on that WITH the Sun. Especially without Chiney, the Sun needed more "presence" inside, Kizer should bring that. I have no idea what kind of teammate she is, but considering all that has gone on before, and Coach Curt's emphasis on building a team-first culture here, I would have to believe that HE believes she will be a good addition in that regard.

Even without Chiney, it will be interesting to see how the post rotation develops and mixes "smalls" - (Thomas, Tuck, Gray and maybe Stricklen) with the "bigs" (Kizer, Jones and Hamson, if she makes it out of training camp).

Bottom line is this trade looks ok to me. If Kizer is motivated and continues her promising year-over-year development, AND Camille's 3-point production can be offset by a more consistent Bentley, Banham, Thomas and even Jones... I think we improved. I was looking forward to seeing Alleyne play, but as mentioned earlier, she was a truly unknown quantity.

Now what might we get with the #8? :rolleyes: Could there be a keeper hiding at that point in this first Sun post-Sienko draft?? :) Good luck, Coach Curt!

psconn

Reaction Score
what ever happened to Hightower?

Her specific situation is unknown to me. After two injury-plagued seasons and a stint playing in Israel, it was announced in February of 2016 that Alley was going to undergo microfracture surgery for her left knee. The expected recovery was about 9 months. I saw her a couple times during last season, so I figured she would be in training camp this year but I have seen nothing about her. A HEALTHY Hightower near her previous All-Star form would be a big help to this squad.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I know nothing about this trade yet I'm pretty sure the Sun got the worst of it.

psconn

Reaction Score
what ever happened to Hightower?

More on Alley Hightower... Ned Griffen of The Day believes she will be in camp and that she is healthy. Best of luck to her in her comeback attempt.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
More on Alley Hightower... Ned Griffen of The Day believes she will be in camp and that she is healthy. Best of luck to her in her comeback attempt.
thanks, I think she was good for the Sun

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom