Three Takeaways – Xavier edition | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Three Takeaways – Xavier edition

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
We need some out of bounds plays. Getting the ball in was scary at times.
Book and Adams are the only people I trust creating their own shot.
AG played well in the first half in distributing the ball. 2nd half not so much.
Carlton's feet are slow.
Lastly, Vital and AG would get by their man in the lane but then shoot a layup on the left side with their right hands, bringing the ball back to the defender for the block. Carlton also has no left hand, though he does try.

Reaction Score
Couple things.

1. The reach-in by Bouk cost us the game. Terrible foul. Inexcusable. That said, he is FUN to watch. Talented kid.
Yea but I like the thought, if he could’ve tied it up game over and they don’t get to get a look. It still gave us time to take the last shot, rather than them scoring easy on the last shot

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Can anyone explain why we run so many dribble handoffs through Carlton beyond the 3 point line? I get drawing the opposing big away from the basket, but when AG gets doubled and flips it back to Carlton, the set is toast.

Why not run that through Polley and Akok?
Should pick and pop/pick and roll for Polley and Akok all day. But then CV and Gilbert won’t get their 15 terrible shots per game a piece.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
We need some out of bounds plays. Getting the ball in was scary at times.
Book and Adams are the only people I trust creating their own shot.
AG played well in the first half in distributing the ball. 2nd half not so much.
Carlton's feet are slow.
Lastly, Vital and AG would get by their man in the lane but then shoot a layup on the left side with their right hands, bringing the ball back to the defender for the block. Carlton also has no left hand, though he does try.
We are T E R R I B L E out of TO and out of bounds in general. Especially when inbounding under the hoop we’re shooting at. This was actually an area of strength for KO and Danny doesn’t have it

Reaction Score
All too often we got bullied underneath by Xavier, mostly Jones on our D. We should mix in more fronting the big and quick double teaming help by whoever is guarding their worst offensive player.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
No. 1- all the lack of late game smartness was coming from the veterans. It's what lost us the game and it's unacceptable. We badly outplayed Xavier in the second half until Vital and Gilbert lost their minds.
I think that Xavier interior defense expected the drive by AG and CV and took that away and fouling them if necessary. The height of our guards against good interior shot blockers is hard to get around without alternative three point shooting. At least they made the free throws. The key was stopping the guards and they did a good job on that. I was critical of Polley on another post for his lack of rebounding but I don't recall him getting any open looks and he could only score on that play off the screen. Good defense. Xavier fouled out their own guards but denied the shots. In retrospect it looks like they had a pretty good game plan. There were a number of bonehead plays by both teams but there was no lack of intensity by either team. Very much looking forward to future Big East wars.

Reaction Score
We are T E R R I B L E out of TO and out of bounds in general. Especially when inbounding under the hoop we’re shooting at. This was actually an area of strength for KO and Danny doesn’t have it
Ollie’s inbounds play was to heave the ball to half court, which was intercepted 25% of the time.

This game was lost when Josh had the chance to slam one home and put us up 8. Instead, he took too long to collect himself, got blocked and Scruggs promptly buried a 3. Five point swing.

Reaction Score
All too often we got bullied underneath by Xavier, mostly Jones on our D. We should mix in more fronting the big and quick double teaming help by whoever is guarding their worst offensive player.
Totally agree, I would have liked to see Akok fronting their big as I don’t believe they wouldn’t be able to get the ball to him over the top

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

Wait what? KO teams were the worst I've ever seen at this.

That said, we had a couple of complete head scratchers last night which directly involved Vital and Gilbert.

Edit: actually no I'm wrong

Last edited:

intlzncster

Reaction Score
For the first three seasons, KO's teams were actually very good at plays out of TO and out of bounds.

When they had Shabazz and Boat, sure. After that, not so much.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
When they had Shabazz and Boat, sure. After that, not so much.
Agreed. But it was a notable strength in those first few seasons, and actually seemed to be an improvement over the most recent JC-coached teams. I remember thinking that KO might be some sort of savant with Xs and Os from all his time on NBA benches playing for great coaches. Didn't turn out that way, obviously, but at the beginning it looked promising.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Wait what? KO teams were the worst I've ever seen at this.

That said, we had a couple of complete head scratchers last night which directly involved Vital and Gilbert.
If you look it up, he actually consistently lead the country or was near the top in points off in bounds play’s

Reaction Score
Mike Anthony just basically wrote give the ball to Bouk.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Can anyone explain why we run so many dribble handoffs through Carlton beyond the 3 point line? I get drawing the opposing big away from the basket, but when AG gets doubled and flips it back to Carlton, the set is toast.

Why not run that through Polley and Akok?

Well, mainly for your first reason. We have to get their center out of the paint, or Vital nor Gilbert can score at the rim.

That said, when the set breaks down, we need to shift quick.

Reaction Score
No. 1: We're better than I thought we would be. Obviously it's inconsistent, obviously the offense can disappear, obviously we leave points on the table with missed bunnies and, uh, let's call it "questionable" guard play. But if you'd offered me these kinds of games – legitimate dogfights against top 25 teams with experienced guards and true Big East big men – before the season, I'd have taken it.

Honestly I thought we were going to lose this one by 10. And at halftime I thought we were going to lose by 20.

We're not particularly smart* or talented, but we've become tough. Let's hope that lasts.

* I am worried that our lack of late-game smartness isn't solely coming from the kids. Some of Hurley's rotations and play calls are pretty, pretty bad. Pretty bad!

No. 2: Unless you're snagging top 50 recruits left and right, in the college game you are who your upperclassmen are. And our upperclassmen are four 3-star recruits (Carlton, Vital, Whaley, Polley) and a high 4-star who, for various reasons, has never been able to live up to his ranking.

Xavier's best players tonight were Scruggs (top 40 recruit), Marshall (top 60) and Jones (top 100).

We are at a talent deficit and an on-court knowhow deficit against good teams. It's just reality for this year, and I suspect we'll lose more of these games than we'll win because of it. It's frustrating, but that's life.

For now.

No. 3: I told y'all a year ago that Bouk was a 5-star recruit the services had underranked b/c of the injury he suffered as a junior – he just wasn't on the circuit as much so folks didn't get to see him.

He's going to be special on both ends.
Love, love, love Bouk.

Reaction Score
This game was lost when Josh had the chance to slam one home and put us up 8. Instead, he took too long to collect himself, got blocked and Scruggs promptly buried a 3. Five point swing.

He drives me nuts with the amount of time it takes him to gather himself and go up. He's a smart player, he's crafty (at times) in the paint and he sees the floor reasonably well. He's a valuable big, but he's just not the kind of guy that's going to be dunking on people or consistently finishing over people.

Reaction Score
Bouknight is going to start, you just don’t do that in a tournament on day 1 or 2 for him when everyone else has already been playing. Hurley has had no problem taking juniors and seniors off the floor and out of the starting line-up before and we’ll see it when the time is right here. There’s more to managing a roster of different abilities and personalities when you’re actually doing it. The guys offered as saviors have their own limitations, but they’re ultimately the future, so they’ll go with them. Vital and Gilbert aren’t as bad as some are making them out to be and Adams isn’t as good. Bouknight will have his own growing pains as teams start to be able to scout him. Beat Miami, then take the week off to get healthy and right and capitalize on the relatively easier schedule.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
He drives me nuts with the amount of time it takes him to gather himself and go up. He's a smart player, he's crafty (at times) in the paint and he sees the floor reasonably well. He's a valuable big, but he's just not the kind of guy that's going to be dunking on people or consistently finishing over people.
I’m personally a huge fan of Josh. I think people might have too lofty of expectations for him. As @UConnStats stated, if he cuts down on the turnovers all is good. I also think we force to him a bit too much. The entry passes from the top of the key are disastrous and need to stop. Swing the ball and then work it inside.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TBall

Top Bottom