Three Takeaways – Iona Edition | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Three Takeaways – Iona Edition

Reaction Score
I mean this game was sort of the inverse of some of the games earlier in the season where the underclassmen really carried the load and the upperclassmen weren't good. Tonight, it was the other way around. Obviously, you'd like to think about what could happen if everyone brings something to the table on a given night that we might be a lot better than anyone thought.

That being said, i'm just glad that this year, there just always seems to be SOMEONE who can step up even when things aren't firing and that's not something we could say the last few years.

It's just gotta be a matter of keeping these kids' heads in the game for a full 40. We still just have too many lapses where it's 6-7 minute stretches of bad decisions and bad defense and I dunno... SEEMS like it's getting a little better; but it worries me against good teams. I'd really like to see this team stop creating so much work for itself and start going for kill shots earlier, but that's all part of learning how to win, too.

What makes me feel good though - w/ the exception of the St Joe's game, we're beating every team that we should beat - and St Joe's was kinda cancelled out by the Florida win, so i'm fine. We're officially in that 'should beat all the teams we should beat, but totally capable of stealing some big wins and giving good teams a real run for their money on a given night' territory - and that's really all my ask was for this year.

And how about that Agee kid? If we did have to burn a scholly on a grad transfer, get that kid in here. I loved him. As a one year guy?

Reaction Score
He definitely telegraphs every pass from the perimeter when we are in probing mode early in the clock. But his "in the flow" passes seem more instinctive.

I think my.concern right now would be that he's not a "triple threat". He's obviously going to hand off the ball or pass when he does... he often doesn't even look at the hoop. Which is a big no no. In jay wrights practices he calls that an auto TO in scrimmages. I'm sure Hurley and co. Are teaching the skill too. He's just lagging behind on offense compared to his really mature defense

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Agee was killing us in the first half, even when he didn’t have the ball.

They were putting him 25’ from the basket which had Josh suspended in space about 18’ out. Josh can’t defend anything in that kind of space, so they were going four on five on some possessions.
Can't decide how much of the improvement in the second half was the changes Hurley implemented defending Agee or the sprained ankle. I'd go with the changes. Kid is a legitimate player.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
The implementation of double teaming Iona's players and rotating was a thing of beauty by the starters. We've done it on full court presses and at pick and rolls but not in the corners. The subs struggled with it. I'd say they worked on this over the week and the older players picked it up but the younguns struggled with it. Players lose effectiveness when they are thinking about the game.

Of course Akok is the exception. Quite a remarkable young man.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
We really need to learn how to throw a decent lob. Akok can get up there and so can Bouk.
Whaley can too. Hurley loves the lob, he’s trying to implement it we just haven’t been able to execute. That’s one of the biggest knocks on Carlton offensively his lack of athleticism takes the lob to him out of the playbook. With Javonte Brown Ferguson you will see us run the lob to the center.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Obviously, you'd like to think about what could happen if everyone brings something to the table on a given night that we might be a lot better than anyone thought.

It's just gotta be a matter of keeping these kids' heads in the game for a full 40. We still just have too many lapses where it's 6-7 minute stretches of bad decisions and bad defense and I dunno... SEEMS like it's getting a little better; but it worries me against good teams. I'd really like to see this team stop creating so much work for itself and start going for kill shots earlier, but that's all part of learning how to win, too.

It's funny, although we have veterans who have been here awhile, we are still a young team that way. Just no consistency on a number of levels. Perhaps it's a 'young' team in terms of coaching.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
His motor was not like this at Putnam. He has clearly put in the work. Easily in the best shape on the team IMO. He looks like he could play 2 games straight easily.
This is a classic example of a kid who really is "all in" and takes the suggestions and teaching of the staff along with his own internal motivation. Coming here for the spring semester and working out with Sal, staying here for the summer. The combination of self motivation, teachability and other worldly athleticism? The sky is the limit. There will be a lot of jaw dropping in the times to come. These guys are really starting to put it together.
I could not have expected this much growth so soon. Keep it up DH and Staff!

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Whaley can too. Hurley loves the lob, he’s trying to implement it we just haven’t been able to execute. That’s one of the biggest knocks on Carlton offensively his lack of athleticism takes the lob to him out of the playbook. With Javonte Brown Ferguson you will see us run the lob to the center.
... and Sid. We have a lot of targets if we can get down the placement and timing.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
I guess I imagined the Bouk to Sid lob in yesterday's game.

i mean its an exaggeration to say there has been 1 lob all year, anyone who watches or goes to every game knows that, but you could count this year on one hand (figuratively, not literally,................. although maybe.............)

as opposed to a game where Brimah scored 40 at XL and 15 of those buckets (30 points) were lobs. I had a big problem with that back then, because that was the epitome of cupcake feasting because you knew we would never be able to run that against any D1 team 200 or above so what did we gain out of that excercise?

But we have the horses now to throw and finish lobs, like to see a few more, we'll get there.

Reaction Score
Damn fine thread Matrim, splendid work. It really engenders the best discussion and most interesting debate.

Reaction Score
Akok should be option 1 during any transition. He always runs so you know he’ll be there. He can catch and finish and is probably faster than anyone who guards him. We don’t look for him enough.
Akok is going to have his break-thru game soon. And when he becomes an option on offense we are going to be real fun to watch.

Reaction Score
[QUOTE="RichZ, post: 3354947, member: 534"
He definitely telegrapGreaths every pass from the perimeter when we are in pro7bing mode early in the clock. But his "in
[/QUOTE]

Reaction Score
Seen all of the games in person or TV this year. Have enjoyed that this team has the hope to break our bad run. All of the 10 players are contributing and stepping up when needed. The coaches have done a beautiful job of meshing all of the parts. The team chemistry seem to be what is needed to win. This is one of the best threads and very enjoyable to read. Thanks BYs.

Reaction Score
Watching the Iona replay on SNY. After the game, DH blamed his subs for Iona getting back in the game. That was pretty much true in the first half. But not true when Iona made a run in the 2nd.

AG played great 75% of the game, distributing, driving, taking (and making) uncontested 3ptrs.

The other 25% of the game he was looking only to score, not looking to distribute, while taking (and missing) contested shots.

Most of that was during a stretch in the 2nd half with the result being a 20+ lead shrinking to 10.

CV was equally to blame in that stretch, also forcing shots and throwing the ball away.

If these two guys can just eliminate that mentality (which, to their credit, they have mostly done since Xavier debacle) this team will be able to compete against anyone. AG, under control, driving and dishing, makes this team really dangerous. Getting closer...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom