Three Seconds? | The Boneyard

Three Seconds?

Reaction Score
Okay, it is a minor thing, but it bugs me! Just watched the replay of the Q game. Z was called for two 3 second violations. I didnt think at least one was justified when I saw them live. Watching on replay and watching the clock it seems that neither was correct. Idont have slo-mo, but in both cases it seems to have been called early.
Can anyone verify?
Z has enough trouble not getting the benefit of the doubt on fouls. She shouldnt have to deal with fast counting refs too! :confused:

Reaction Score
Okay, it is a minor thing, but it bugs me! Just watched the replay of the Q game. Z was called for two 3 second violations. I didnt think at least one was justified when I saw them live. Watching on replay and watching the clock it seems that neither was correct. Idont have slo-mo, but in both cases it seems to have been called early.
Can anyone verify?
Z has enough trouble not getting the benefit of the doubt on fouls. She shouldnt have to deal with fast counting refs too! :confused:
I always wondered how they call those. Does anyone know how it works? We know you have ten seconds to bring the ball up or five seconds to inbound, but that's easy enough for a ref to count while looking at the ball, but how does the three second thing work?

Reaction Score
I think once the ball crosses half court you can't have even one foot in the lane or I think what they now call the restricted lane for three seconds, else.... One of the reasons they have three refs is there's a ref under the basket whose job is to count with their hand (supposed to), much like they do on inbounds, three seconds. I think those days are long gone by most current refs and they just wing it, thus the inconsistencies.

Reaction Score
I think once the ball crosses half court you can't have even one foot in the lane or I think what they now call the restricted lane for three seconds, else.... One of the reasons they have three refs is there's a ref under the basket whose job is to count with their hand (supposed to), much like they do on inbounds, three seconds. I think those days are long gone by most current refs and they just wing it, thus the inconsistencies.
What if there are multiple players though? I mean they're human. How are they keeping track of the count for all of the players that might come and go through the lane?

Reaction Score
What if there are multiple players though? I mean they're human. How are they keeping track of the count for all of the players that might come and go through the lane?

It's judgement. They don't make any count with the hand, nor are they supposed to. If a player stops in the lane and begins to post up, then they may begin a silent count. I didn't see the plays that precipitated the post, but I do know that in most of the three second calls, the players are in the lane for well over three seconds.

One thing I have noticed is that the officials in women's games seem to emphasize this more. In the men's game, if a player has been in the lane for three seconds but is now moving out, the refs won't call it. In the women's game, they sometimes do.

One thing about three seconds which most people don't know: the count is suspended if a player makes a move to the basket - either via dribbling or merely by turning and beginning a shot -after having established position in the lane. To prevent a three second call in this scenario, the player must shoot the ball, not pass it.

One other thing, as pointed out in the post just below. The three second count is only made when the offense is in possession of the ball. So if there is a shot attempt or a loose ball, the count is ended and does not begin again until the offense clearly has possession of the ball.

Last edited:

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
A player when in the lane has two seconds to catch the ball. After catching the ball a new three second count should start if she makes an immediate move to the basket. However, if she passes the ball or fumbles it the three second call should be made. Also, players may stand in the lane while contesting for rebounds until the ball is scored or secured by someone and dribbled or passed out to a teammate without three seconds being called.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
At least the second seemed extremely quick and she reacted as if to say“where did that come from.”’

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
I was taught that when aware the player is in the lane and not moving across, start a silent slow 3 count after 3 if the player is not moving make the call, if they are moving out let it go. A player would actually get about 5 seconds in the lane with about 3 in a stagnant position. Then you get the zigzag player who starts out and then doubles back without getting fully outside the lane, she gets the whistle

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Can anyone verify?
One was legit, but the 2nd one was just a bad call by the ref on the baseline. I have no idea what the ref was looking at and why she pulled the trigger (whistle) so quickly.

Reaction Score
Could not sleep so at 3AM I watch the replay of the UCONN/Q game. I was at the game Monday and the two three second calls bugged me. I was going to post that this morning but OldAlum beat me to it. The first call was at 7/30 of the second quarter and the second one was at the end of the quarter. Both were called by the same ref and both calls were wrong. If some one has the skill to post both calls please do so. Thanks , See you all in Albany and Columbus.

Reaction Score
Can anyone verify?
I agree . Watching the replay yesterday, my count on both 3 second calls barely made 2 seconds. They really stood out as being super quick calls. Then. I won't even get into the refusal to call any fouls on Q during the 4th quarter. The officiating in wcbb is simply atrocious ! But then again, the officials must be following the instructions given to them, I guess ?

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
I haven’t watched the replays but keep in mind that a new rule for WBCC this year is that the player must bring both feet outside the lane to reset the 3-second count — in the past, at all levels of bball (to my knowledge) , it has always been enough just to bring one foot out of the lane in order to start a new count.

Reaction Score
I haven’t watched the replays but keep in mind that a new rule for WBCC this year is that the player must bring both feet outside the lane to reset the 3-second count — in the past, at all levels of bball (to my knowledge) , it has always been enough just to bring one foot out of the lane in order to start a new count.
Understood, but if you watch the replay, I'd like your take then. Two of the quickest 3 second calls I've ever seen.

#1florida

Midwest Husky
Reaction Score
I was taught that when aware the player is in the lane and not moving across, start a silent slow 3 count after 3 if the player is not moving make the call, if they are moving out let it go. A player would actually get about 5 seconds in the lane with about 3 in a stagnant position. Then you get the zigzag player who starts out and then doubles back without getting fully outside the lane, she gets the whistle
The count is, one-thousand one, one-thousand two, one-thousand three. Normally, the ref is correct, but, more times than not, they allow a player to stay too long. Especially the so called stars.

Reaction Score
The count is, one-thousand one, one-thousand two, one-thousand three. Normally, the ref is correct, but, more times than not, they allow a player to stay too long. Especially the so called stars.
That was my thought as well. But in these instances if I counted I didn't get past "two, one th..." And trying to look at the clock on the screen, it seemed too quick as well.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
Actually
it’s one Mississippi two Mississippi three Mississippi unless you’re in Louisiana where is Mississippi one Mississippi two Mississippi three. Not to say Louisiana is backwards or anything

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
@VAMike23 I did not even realized they had changed that rule because I was always taught and taught to the rule where both feet must clear the pain to avoid that 3 second call- aka the new rule.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
@VAMike23 I did not even realized they had changed that rule because I was always taught and taught to the rule where both feet must clear the pain to avoid that 3 second call- aka the new rule.
Yes, you are right. Both feet had to be out of the lane or a three second count should have been called, even if a foot was on the line. I am not familiar with the new rule.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Can anyone verify?

Watching a replay of this game, I noticed that too. I ran it back 3 times. It was more like a 2 second call. :confused:

Reaction Score

This "rule change" was really more of a clarification since players always were required to have both feet out of the lane to avoid a three second count.

Here is the old rule from 2016-17 (which is identical to the one used in 2015-16 and 2014-15, plus other older years):

"Art. 2. It is a violation for a player to have any part of her body remain in the three-second lane for more than three consecutive seconds while the ball is in control of that player’s team in her frontcourt."

And here is the "new" rule, which is in the rulebook used for 2017-18 and for 2018-19:

"Art. 2. It is a violation for a player to have any part of her body remain in the three-second lane for more than three consecutive seconds while the ball is in control of that player’s team in her frontcourt. To establish a position outside the three-second lane, the player must place both feet on the playing court outside the lane."

- - - - -

Note that under the older rule, if any part of the body - including even one foot - was in the lane for more than three seconds, it was a violation. The addition to the rule really didn't change much of anything. The only very minor change is that the new rule precludes a player from having one foot out of the lane and the other foot in the air, possibly above the edge of the lane. To establish legal position, both feet theoretically have to be touch the court outside of the lane. Note that the men's rule continues to be identical to the old women's rule - yet enforcement is the same, i.e. both feet have to be out of the lane.

Having said that, most refs - at least the better ones - apply a bit of common sense. If a player is on the way out of the lane at the end of three seconds, they won't whistle a "gotcha" foul. Also, if a player clearly is not trying to gain an advantage but has her heel touching the edge of the lane, they also usually won't call it.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
There must be more to the rule than what is quoted above. I thought the plain-English version of the rule was that the player can't be in the lane for more than 3 consecutive seconds without someone on her team taking a shot. The shot could be from the perimeter, but as soon as the shot is launched, the 3-second count ends without a violation. Also, I thought that if a player in the lane receives a pass from a teammate, a new 3-second count begins that must end with a shot, either by her or by a teammate.

And of course, if the ball is on the rim following a shot (I guess that means it isn't under the control of her team), then offensive players can be in the lane to attempt to rebound it for as long as they like (i.e., as long as putback shots keep going up and missing).

Reaction Score
There must be more to the rule than what is quoted above. I thought the plain-English version of the rule was that the player can't be in the lane for more than 3 consecutive seconds without someone on her team taking a shot. The shot could be from the perimeter, but as soon as the shot is launched, the 3-second count ends without a violation. Also, I thought that if a player in the lane receives a pass from a teammate, a new 3-second count begins that must end with a shot, either by her or by a teammate.

And of course, if the ball is on the rim following a shot (I guess that means it isn't under the control of her team), then offensive players can be in the lane to attempt to rebound it for as long as they like (i.e., as long as putback shots keep going up and missing).

What you say in the first paragraph is exactly what the rule says: "It is a violation for a player to have any part of her body remain in the three-second lane for more than three consecutive seconds while the ball is in control of that player’s team." . . . . Once a shot is released, the ball is no longer in control of that player's team, so the 3-second count ends. As for the second part, that is incorrect, a new count does not begin if a player receives a pass. However, as the rule says, the count is suspended if the player makes an immediate move to the basket or shot.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom