Three of Sixteen! | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Three of Sixteen!

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
Given the tournament has been mostly chalk so far (all 1 and 2 seeds advancing), I think it's more instructive to see which teams underperformed:

#3 seeds: UK (SEC) lost in first round, Baylor (B12) lost in second
#4 seeds: Auburn (SEC) lost in first round, Kansas (B12) lost in second--though to a 4 seed, so MINOR upset and that team was done

Other notable losses: #6 seed SC (SEC) losing to #11 seed Oregon; #5 Wisconsin (B10) losing to #12 JMU; #12 Grand Canyon over #5 Saint Marys (WCC)

So I would argue SEC has been biggest bust thus far; B12 has slightly underperformed.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
And yet of the top 14 on Kenpom, 13 are in the sweet sixteen. SDSU is #17, Clemson 23. NC State is the only really bugaboo at #52 but then again they are a surprise 11 seed who got the Auto bid.

KenPom continues to update his rankings, so of course the teams that continue to win will pull ahead of the teams that lost their last game and are no longer playing.

Reaction Score
Celebrate Fired Up GIF by NCAA March Madness

big east fans when they beat a 16, 15, 14, 11, 10, and 9 seed.
Just wondering, how are the Bearcats doing? Have not seen the scores of any of their games lately.

Reaction Score
Big East in the House! Three members of this year's Sweet Sixteen!
Haha…. Read thread title and thought it was about the 3 pt shooting against NU.
Was going to say I didn’t think it was that good.

Reaction Score
Given the tournament has been mostly chalk so far (all 1 and 2 seeds advancing), I think it's more instructive to see which teams underperformed:

#3 seeds: UK (SEC) lost in first round, Baylor (B12) lost in second
#4 seeds: Auburn (SEC) lost in first round, Kansas (B12) lost in second--though to a 4 seed, so MINOR upset and that team was done

Other notable losses: #6 seed SC (SEC) losing to #11 seed Oregon; #5 Wisconsin (B10) losing to #12 JMU; #12 Grand Canyon over #5 Saint Marys (WCC)

So I would argue SEC has been biggest bust thus far; B12 has slightly underperformed.
I'm glad to see the SEC struggle. It's karma for SEC Commissioner Greg Sankey, who just last week suggested that tournament is giving away too many automatic bids to smaller conferences. Looks like the committee gave too many bids to the SEC.

Reaction Score
KenPom continues to update his rankings, so of course the teams that continue to win will pull ahead of the teams that lost their last game and are no longer playing.
Good point

Reaction Score
Gonzaga was the only team to jump into the top 14, past Baylor. They were 15. SDSU was 20, now 17.
He just has no idea how the metrics work but knows for sure they are terrible. It’s so funny.

Reaction Score

That is your B12 conference winner, Cinci's overlord, punching the B12 competition: nobody.

Reaction Score
Is this really that impressive? I guess it’s good no one was upset but UConn was the only team to play a single-digit seed and Colorado and Oregon gave Marquette and Creighton all they could handle. Let’s see how this weekend goes before we consider the conference strength.

Colorado now that they put their injuries behind them are a top 20 team. They were way under-seeded for their skill level (though not for their resume). And Creighton missed so many open looks on a fluke shooting night against a team coached by someone intimately familiar with McDermott's game and still found a way to pull off the W. Yes, them making it to the sweet 16 is impressive.

Reaction Score
As long as Marquette goes 1-1 in a close loss to Houston, they met expectations, good season. As long as Creighton plays Tennessee close everything else, a win included, is just gravy. BE not quite playing with house money, but close. Creighton individually is.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score

I actually have to root for Cincy tonight, being half Lithuanian. Lukosius needs a trophy as he's probably gonna have to go back home to fight Russians next year.

Reaction Score
Unfortunately for kobe, those bearcats just didn’t have enough basketball might to stave off a dominating performance by this guy:

View attachment 98280
Missed great marketing potential there by not extending the team a (deserved) bid. Kind of shocked actually. Had this team been an 11 or 12 that upset Clemson or San Diego St or something, social media and sports shows around the country would have been ablaze.

Reaction Score
The only downside to BE teams continual advancement is that they are the teams who have the 'best shot' at beating us. Put one in the Final Four and things will certainly become interesting, especially with those two remaining BE teams. Of course we have to do our part as well.

caw

Reaction Score

A) movement at this point in the season is not that big. 3/17 Kenpom had the following (I don't have 3/18 or 3/19 unfortunately but those days shouldn't factor in much):

1) UConn (same now unless noted going forward)
2) Houston
3) Purdue
4) Auburn (Still at 4)
5) ISU (7th now)
6) Zona (5th)
7) Tennessee (8th)
8) Duke (6th)
9) UNC (9th)
10) Illinois
11) Creighton
12) Marquette (13th)
13) Bama (14th)
14) Baylor (15th)
15) Zags (12th)
21) SDSU (17th)
35) Clemson (23rd)
58) NC State (53rd)

So since the tournament started you can only really argue I should have said 13 of the top 15 are in the sweet sixteen instead of saying 13 of the top 14. Gonzaga moved passed Baylor (and a few others) but the top 15 only shifted up and down in the top 15. SDSU/Clemson and SDSU only saw jumps of 4, 12 and 5 respectively. Not enough to make a complaint about the ratings IMO.

Perhaps you could argue Clemson was overseeded by where Kenpom metrics would place them but have risen since.

B) Torvik has the following through March 19th (AKA before the tournament):

1) Houston
2) UConn
3) Purdue
4) Auburn (now at 5)
5) Zona (now at 4)
6) ISU
7) Tennessee
8) UNC
9) MU (now at 10)
10) Duke (now at 9)
11) Creighton
12) Bama (now at 14)
13) Illinois
14) Saint Marys (now at 15) - edited to not confuse with other SMU
15) Zags (now at 12)
28) SDSU (5th seed and now at 24)
31) Clemson (6th seed and now at 26)
63) NC State (now at 60)

So on Torvik the only "big" movers since the start of the tournament were SDSU (4 spots), Clemson (5 spots), and NC State (3 spots).

So if you really want to argue the metrics such as Kenpom and Torvik are still updating through the tournament you are accurate but it is irrelevant to the argument about metrics being accurate pre-tournament.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom