Three Maya Moore Trade Ideas And How They Might Effect Her Fellow UConn Sisters In The WNBA | The Boneyard

Three Maya Moore Trade Ideas And How They Might Effect Her Fellow UConn Sisters In The WNBA

Reaction Score
Three Maya Moore trade ideas
by Howard Megdal January 22, 2019

To be sure, no one else on the free agent or draft lists could change a franchise’s direction quite as much as Moore, a four-time WNBA champion and former league MVP, still just 29 years old. Even in a down season, Moore led anyone else available on the free agent market, restricted or unrestricted, in 2018 win shares.

While Moore’s 2019 intentions remain opaque for now, if she were to ask for a trade, organizations around the league would put together significant trade packages to try and add the most accomplished player in the league. We ran some trade ideas by WNBA talent evaluators to try and shape them.

Trade 1: Atlanta trades Tiffany Hayes, Brittney Sykes and the eleventh pick in the 2019 draft for Maya Moore
This one gets a significant return for Reeve, a lead scorer who can create her own shot and defends well in Hayes, even a UConn product and just a few months younger than Moore to boot, signed through 2021. And then there’s Sykes, an extremely productive two-way player who is still under contract at rookie-deal rates through 2020, should the Lynx choose to pick up her option. Finally, at the eleventh pick, the Lynx could either add another young player, or try to package that pick with the team’s natural sixth pick to move up. Something akin to a 2019 lineup of Sylvia Fowles, Napheesa Collier, Hayes, Sykes and Danielle Robinson…

Trade 2: New York trades Kia Nurse, Kiah Stokes, the second overall pick and a 2020 pick for Maya Moore
In this one, the Lynx would be going all-in on the future. Stokes is a strong rebounder and rim protector, if an imperfect fit next to Fowles. But it also gives the Lynx a shot at Asia Durr, and a three-guard setup with Durr, Nurse and Robinson would create matchup problems galore, not to mention adding an element of athleticism that was often missing from Minnesota’s lineups last season, along with a shot at a 2020 pick (though one likely lower, if Moore were to suit up for the 2019 Liberty). For New York, it provides a legit two-star setup with Moore and Tina Charles…

Trade 3: Connecticut trades Chiney Ogwumike, Morgan Tuck, Lexie Brown and the ninth overall pick for Maya Moore
This solves a problem Connecticut Sun general manager Curt Miller has faced for two years now: Ogwumike is a legit star, but his best lineup, statistically, deploys Jonquel Jones at the five and Alyssa Thomas at the four. Now, the logjam would break up, with Maya Moore as the three alongside those two. (Oh, and it would add some additional fans in the seats who remember Moore’s college days, too.)

I like door #2. :cool:

For the complete analysis on all three and the full article, click HERE

Reaction Score
I could see Moore going to Atlanta to be closer to where she went to high school. She’s won her championships and had her all-star seasons. Not to say those types of seasons are done for her, but after being away since she was 18 and went to UConn, I could see the draw of playing closer to home. She’s won everything and now it’s time to go where she wants to go. Not to mention the duo of Moore and McCoughtry could be really fun to watch.

Reaction Score
The question is why would Minnesota want to trade Maya?
Because for the same reason that Maya wants to be traded. In fact in saying it is her request gives the team the out to do so. The Minnesota roster has aged out. They are going into a rebuild mode and it should take them a few seasons to become legit contenders again. They could trade Maya for younger players and future picks which would help the rebuilding process. And a trade to the right team might put her on a team that is a contender now.

Reaction Score
I am amazed that no poster has suggested that she play at Connecticut. Don't you love Moore anymore?

It is interesting that all the trade packages include a high percentage of former UConn players.

Reaction Score
I am amazed that no poster has suggested that she play at Connecticut. Don't you love Moore anymore?

It is interesting that all the trade packages include a high percentage of former UConn players.
As a UConn, WNBA, and especially Maya Moore fan living in Texas, I wouldn't mind seeing her play in Dallas. I don't think she would be a good fit on the Dallas roster, but it would nice to get to see her more often.

Reaction Score

See Java Man's Tuesday 2:11 PM post concerning an article featuring 3 trade options.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr. Cam

Top Bottom