Three Leading Research Universities Join the Association of American Universities... | The Boneyard

Three Leading Research Universities Join the Association of American Universities...

Reaction Score
Hope you didn’t get your hopes up...

>>The Association of American Universities today announced that Dartmouth College; the University of California, Santa Cruz; and the University of Utah have joined the association. The addition of these three leading research universities brings AAU’s membership total to 65 institutions – 63 American and two Canadian members.

“Dartmouth College; the University of California, Santa Cruz; and the University of Utah are all distinguished institutions in their own right, and we were delighted to invite them to join the ranks of AAU,” said AAU President Mary Sue Coleman. “AAU’s membership is limited to institutions at the forefront of scientific inquiry and educational excellence. These world-class institutions are a welcome addition, and we look forward to working with them as we continue to shape policy for higher education, science, and innovation.”

“Becoming a part of AAU is particularly noteworthy, as invitations to new members are rare and extended only by vote of the current membership,” noted AAU Board Chair and Indiana University President Michael McRobbie. “These institutions will help AAU’s collective mission of further strengthening the vital contributions of leading research universities to American society.”<<

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
UC Santa Cruz. Thats a riot. My ex girlfriend was a student there. I spent a lot of time there. Didn’t strike me as remotely research focused.

Reaction Score
Really surprised Dartmouth wasn’t an original member. Shocked I tell you...

Reaction Score
So... on Suzie’s watch, we spent money like drunk sailors only to get denied P5 and AAU. Let that ineptitude sink in.

Can’t wait to hear from the yay rah Suzie fan club on this.

I don't think you know a frigging thing about ACADEMIC RESEARCH nor about P5 conference realignment. You are just a unique bird we have here in Connecticut and attached to UConn stakeholders - a Curmodgeon. Susan Herbst was a damn good President; measured against the three immediately preceding her, the accomplished a lot. In Academics. While you were whining, we did win several National Championships. We are a small State U in New England. The P5 choices ... show that the schools picked were beyond us in Demographics/Tv eyeballs & GRAFT (Louisville). Hartford folks would never allow a YUM center or Pitino party type thing.

God help Tom K taking us to the next Platform.

Reaction Score
I don't think you know a frigging thing about ACADEMIC RESEARCH nor about P5 conference realignment. You are just a unique bird we have here in Connecticut and attached to UConn stakeholders - a Curmodgeon. Susan Herbst was a damn good President; measured against the three immediately preceding her, the accomplished a lot. In Academics. While you were whining, we did win several National Championships. We are a small State U in New England. The P5 choices ... show that the schools picked were beyond us in Demographics/Tv eyeballs & GRAFT (Louisville). Hartford folks would never allow a YUM center or Pitino party type thing.

We won championships in spite of her. You really think Suzie, Warde, or Hathaway contributed to us winning National Championships? We won because Jim and Geno are the best coaches in their sports and Ollie caught lightning in a bottle with the best player in the country (won't talk about field hockey because I know nothing about it.)

What are all the great academic accomplishments? UMass is now ranked the same as us.

Reaction Score
We won championships in spite of her. You really think Suzie, Warde, or Hathaway contributed to us winning National Championships? We won because Jim and Geno are the best coaches in their sports and Ollie caught lightning in a bottle with the best player in the country (won't talk about field hockey because I know nothing about it.)

What are all the great academic accomplishments? UMass is now ranked the same as us.

We won because the University administration placed Program Building coaches in the seat and got out of their way. Jim Penders, Mike Cavanagh etc should be other names you bring up. The P5 decisions - turns out - never arc'd our way given years of Excellence in a Major Sport and the Best in the US in the only Women's sport that matters.

Why?

Louisville poured tons of ill-directed Public money towards Stadiums and sketchy coaches; then got really dirty. Rutgers? Pure happenstance that they have more TV eyeballs and demographics than the biggest state in NE? Of course not. We are what we are. And P5 was a great wish ... but we weren't chosen. Herbst salesmanship ... OR more Jim Calhoun or Geno titles would not have mattered.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score

US News isn't everything. UMass is behind UConn in most measures. I think Susan did fine as President. Sports are a minor part of the job. UConn's reputation and number and quality of applicants has risen dramatically. I do think the state's investment is the main driver of that.

UMass acceptance rate is 60%. UConn's is 49%. UConn has higher average GPA and SAT/ACT scores. UMass is more selective than the other New England flagships, but UConn is better. USNews numbers are regularly gamed by these schools (including UConn).

Edit: two dislikes, who knew we had some many people here who think UMass is better than UConn?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Ask Marty Meehan what the difference in STATE support is between Connecticut & Massachusetts to higher education. It is night & day. Susan was the beneficiary of a decade of Pride by Connecticut stakeholders. However ... that Campus in Storrs is significantly advanced in the last 10 years. It was Austin to start ... then a few bumps ... but she took the ball and ran. The faculty was upgraded. The right departments & capital budgeting decisions were made. All good. Not an A performance ... but darn good.

And yes ... moan about the P5. I would love to hear any of you make sense as to how we could have sold ourselves better.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Susan Herbst was a damn good President; measured against the three immediately preceding her

This is what we use as a measuring stick???????????????????????????

UConn has had a great run of underwhelming presidents but I wouldn't elevate SH to a damned good one based on the list of 4

Reaction Score
UC-Santa Cruz? Clearly California has a lot of pull in the AAU. How many UC campuses are part of the AAU??

Reaction Score
Ask Marty Meehan what the difference in STATE support is between Connecticut & Massachusetts to higher education. It is night & day. Susan was the beneficiary of a decade of Pride by Connecticut stakeholders. However ... that Campus in Storrs is significantly advanced in the last 10 years. It was Austin to start ... then a few bumps ... but she took the ball and ran. The faculty was upgraded. The right departments & capital budgeting decisions were made. All good. Not an A performance ... but darn good.

And yes ... moan about the P5. I would love to hear any of you make sense as to how we could have sold ourselves better.
I asked Marty and he said you are a buffoon

boba

Somewhere around Barstow
Reaction Score
UC Santa Cruz. Thats a riot. My ex girlfriend was a student there. I spent a lot of time there. Didn’t strike me as remotely research focused.
All UC campuses have a research component. We are collaborating with a lab in UCSC solely because the investigator there was named on of the best and brightest. They also have a fairly good physics program with one of the only analog computers in the world. Indeed, outside of CalTech and UCSB, UCSC is probably the best physics program in the state - which when you consider UC Berkeley has that National Lab, it is saying something. So you are wrong and spectacularly wrong to boot.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
All UC campuses have a research component. We are collaborating with a lab in UCSC solely because the investigator there was named on of the best and brightest. They also have a fairly good physics program with one of the only analog computers in the world. Indeed, outside of CalTech and UCSB, UCSC is probably the best physics program in the state - which when you consider UC Berkeley has that National Lab, it is saying something. So you are wrong and spectacularly wrong to boot.

Boo. You are no fun at all. They had a great astronomy program there too, at least when my then girlfriend attended. And she was taking a lot of theoretical math, chaos theory kind of stuff. So yes, they do research. But they have never cracked the top 100 as a research institution. So I'm not wrong, let alone spectacularly wrong, when it comes to AAU.

UCSC

UConn

Reaction Score
I asked Marty and he said you are a buffoon
Here is Marty's quote from Boston Globe:

Last year, UMass president Marty Meehan was quick to shift blame onto the state, saying, “I wish the Commonwealth would invest in us like Connecticut invests in UConn.”

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score

Yikes... very angry at me. It’s no secret that her goals were P5 and AAU and spent heavily to achieve those goals and came away with neither. Yes, UConn is better... “but I guess her best wasn’t good enough”...

Reaction Score
UC-Santa Cruz? Clearly California has a lot of pull in the AAU. How many UC campuses are part of the AAU??

SC is a very hot ocean and astro / cosmo place.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
SC is a very hot ocean and astro / cosmo place.

They had some big astronomy guys back in the 90s for sure. It’s the weirdest campus you’ll ever see. My ex gf explained that UC built it while the Berkeley riots were going on. So it’s broken into different colleges none of which are even visible from the others through the redwoods. You walk through trails in the forest to get from one to the other. There is no common area where anyone could congregate to riot. Her room looked straight at a bunch of redwoods but across the hall they had a view of Monterey Bay.

Smart kids, and Travolta made the Banana Slug T shirt immortal. So I’m ragging on it a bit but have a genuine fondness for the place.

563C8FDB-7785-4F42-8CA3-EBFFC228BDB2.jpeg

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom