Three Huskies traded in one night. KLS a Spark, Gabby pairing with Stewie and Sue and Bria has a Fever | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Three Huskies traded in one night. KLS a Spark, Gabby pairing with Stewie and Sue and Bria has a Fever

Reaction Score
Isn't Karlie still part of the Seattle Storm? She was with the Sparks early last season but later joined the Storm...she is currently a free agent, so not sure where she will end up.

Seattle missed Alysha Clark's defense and even her offense last year. Gabby will provide that missed defense, maybe more on that side of the ball. She can also rebound better and from what she has been doing in Europe (Sopron) when allowed to do it, she can orchestrate the offense very well. Again in Europe, her offense has improved, including 3pt shooting. EuroLeague Defensive Player of the Year last year and first team All-League team. Doing well again this year. And, one cannot measure the effect of the energy level she plays with on the team - it can't be anything but good.

#9 in 2022 draft? Not compelling....unless someone from Australia or Europe is really, really good.....but you could have a chance at any of the UConn seniors.

As much as Katie Lou is improving (also very good in EuroLeague play with her Spanish team), this trade tips in favor of Seattle, especially since this is probably Sue's last year.....shoring up the defense for one last run with Sue and probably Stewie (committed for this season only but am sure the Storm will do everything it can to hold on to her)
Thanks for the correction. I forgot that Karlie ended up in Seattle.

freekimchee

food whisperer
Reaction Score
As a Merc fan, I love this. It enabled PHX to land DeShields (sign and trade) plus it opened up some cap space by dealing Hartley for the possibility to sign another former Husky, Charles.

Reaction Score
IMO Clark was the best perimeter defender in the WNBA for a number of years. It's a crime she's never gotten DPOY. I think Williams has a ways to go to be at that level as a defender.
Clark was a good defender, but it helps to have Stewie, and Howard on the team.
Stewie has never gotten the credit she should for how her length and guickness, helps others on defense.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Clark was a good defender, but it helps to have Stewie, and Howard on the team.
Stewie has never gotten the credit she should for how her length and guickness, helps others on defense.
Howard got her due w/ a DPOY. The year Stewie was out, Seattle was still a good defensive team.

Reaction Score
Howard got her due w/ a DPOY. The year Stewie was out, Seattle was still a good defensive team.
They played a lot slower pace, and were not very good that year. But Howard was a very good player. Not having Bird and Stewart made them an average team. Offensively they had a hard time scoring.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
They played a lot slower pace, and were not very good that year. But Howard was a very good player. Not having Bird and Stewart made them an average team. Offensively they had a hard time scoring.
It was a struggle, but they still made it to the playoffs and won a first round game. I was fairly impressed with what they managed to do w/out Stewie and Bird. Their D kept them in a lot of games, since as you noted they had a hard time scoring.

Reaction Score
IMO Clark was the best perimeter defender in the WNBA for a number of years. It's a crime she's never gotten DPOY. I think Williams has a ways to go to be at that level as a defender.
The Sky never really settled Gabby's position on defense: some against forwards, some in the backcourt.

However, in Europe, her teams gave her better description of what she can do for the team. Being voted EuroLeague Defensive Player of the Year and All-League first team is not exactly something to sneeze at, is it? Have you seen any of her work with Sopron when she got that award?

But the proof will be when she plays in the WNBA again.....

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
The Sky never really settled Gabby's position on defense: some against forwards, some in the backcourt.

However, in Europe, her teams gave her better description of what she can do for the team. Being voted EuroLeague Defensive Player of the Year and All-League first team is not exactly something to sneeze at, is it? Have you seen any of her work with Sopron when she got that award?

But the proof will be when she plays in the WNBA again.....
Gabby was a great defender in college. It's reasonable to think she can become that in WNBA, but she hasn't shown it yet. Clark has. There's no insult there saying Williams hasn't shown she's as good of a defender as Clark. Frankly I don't care what players do in the EuroLeague. Someone always goes off there, and it often doesn't translate when they are back in the W.

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
Add in Charles to Phoenix, Mercury...putting her with DT...should be fun.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Jayda Noble. She's athletic, but she's not Gabby.

Reaction Score
Gabby was a great defender in college. It's reasonable to think she can become that in WNBA, but she hasn't shown it yet. Clark has. There's no insult there saying Williams hasn't shown she's as good of a defender as Clark. Frankly I don't care what players do in the EuroLeague. Someone always goes off there, and it often doesn't translate when they are back in the W.
Alysha Clark played the same year in Europe when Gabby won Defensive Player of the year in the EuroLeague. So, if Alysha is much better defensively than Gabby, why did she not win the DPOY instead? I think you never saw how Gabby played there last year to earn the awards.

Someone always goes off there, and it often doesn't translate when they are back in the W. Beg your pardon? Starting with Stewie, Diana and Sue who have "gone off" there, many more have and played great in the WNBA.....and that includes Griner, Howard, etc. Oh yes, Vandersloot as well, etc., etc.....

Careful with the generalizations.....

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
One Husky who isn't on the move, Kiah Stokes resigned w/ the Aces. Not sure if that was expected.

I heard that she was near signing with Atlanta. Then Liz Cambage spoke out about the players' pay vs. Becky Hammon's pay and suggested she would not play in the W. At that point, Vegas signed Stokes.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Alysha Clark played the same year in Europe when Gabby won Defensive Player of the year in the EuroLeague. So, if Alysha is much better defensively than Gabby, why did she not win the DPOY instead? I think you never saw how Gabby played there last year to earn the awards.

Someone always goes off there, and it often doesn't translate when they are back in the W. Beg your pardon? Starting with Stewie, Diana and Sue who have "gone off" there, many more have and played great in the WNBA.....and that includes Griner, Howard, etc. Oh yes, Vandersloot as well, etc., etc.....

Careful with the generalizations.....
We'll just agree to disagree. I'm only interested in what players do in the WNBA. How they perform in various overseas leagues doesn't really interest me. When Gabby shows she's one of the top defenders in the WNBA, then I'll be on board with it. Until then...

Reaction Score
As a Merc fan, I love this. It enabled PHX to land DeShields (sign and trade) plus it opened up some cap space by dealing Hartley for the possibility to sign another former Husky, Charles.
Not a big fan of DeShields. Athletic, but last year inconsistent shooting, poor attitude.

Reaction Score
I heard that she was near signing with Atlanta. Then Liz Cambage spoke out about the players' pay vs. Becky Hammon's pay and suggested she would not play in the W. At that point, Vegas signed Stokes.
Liz is no loss for the WNBA, she has a lot of personal problems. She would be better off taking an entire year off.
She needs to get in a better place mentally, before she comes back to basketball.

Reaction Score
We'll just agree to disagree. I'm only interested in what players do in the WNBA. How they perform in various overseas leagues doesn't really interest me. When Gabby shows she's one of the top defenders in the WNBA, then I'll be on board with it. Until then...
You remind me to someone who claimed to love tennis and its history BUT would only judge them on what the players accomplished on hardcourts, specifically the big tournaments in North America: USOpen, Indian Wells, Miami, Cincinnati, Canada as the basis for judging their play and place in the world of tennis. Of course we know that all these same great players travel on to play year round on other surfaces: grass, clay elsewhere in the world. The adjustments in how they play on different surfaces are lost to him.....and, of course, only a few of the best on hardcourts do as well on grass and clay, indoors, too.

This acquaintance totally missed the rest of players' body of work that define the totality of their capabilities and accomplishments......

If you don't know, the EuroLeague is the top tier overlay league across several member countries in Europe - only the best teams qualify for each season. All of the WNBA players go there, if they can, where they are better rewarded for their efforts. We often talk of WNBA super teams but I dare you to find one that can beat UMMC Ekaterinburg which currently have in their roster: Stewie, Griner, Jonquel Jones, Meeseman, Vandersloot, Quigley, Alba Torrens and some of the best Russian players. Naturally, they were champions last year and are steamrolling opponents this year.

In a year (2020-2021) when Stewie was voted Final Four MVP, you would think she, Griner or Jones could have taken DPOY (yeah, being together spread the defensive contributions among them). But it went to Gabby. And, the EuroLeague season MVP went to Alina Iagupova.

Reaction Score
Didn't accept my first line edit, so here it is:

Making an observation not a judgment.

You remind me......etc.

Reaction Score
You remind me to someone who claimed to love tennis and its history BUT would only judge them on what the players accomplished on hardcourts, specifically the big tournaments in North America: USOpen, Indian Wells, Miami, Cincinnati, Canada as the basis for judging their play and place in the world of tennis. Of course we know that all these same great players travel on to play year round on other surfaces: grass, clay elsewhere in the world. The adjustments in how they play on different surfaces are lost to him.....and, of course, only a few of the best on hardcourts do as well on grass and clay, indoors, too.

This acquaintance totally missed the rest of players' body of work that define the totality of their capabilities and accomplishments......

If you don't know, the EuroLeague is the top tier overlay league across several member countries in Europe - only the best teams qualify for each season. All of the WNBA players go there, if they can, where they are better rewarded for their efforts. We often talk of WNBA super teams but I dare you to find one that can beat UMMC Ekaterinburg which currently have in their roster: Stewie, Griner, Jonquel Jones, Meeseman, Vandersloot, Quigley, Alba Torrens and some of the best Russian players. Naturally, they were champions last year and are steamrolling opponents this year.

In a year (2020-2021) when Stewie was voted Final Four MVP, you would think she, Griner or Jones could have taken DPOY (yeah, being together spread the defensive contributions among them). But it went to Gabby. And, the EuroLeague season MVP went to Alina Iagupova.
But Stewie was the playoff MVP.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom