Three Huskies traded in one night. KLS a Spark, Gabby pairing with Stewie and Sue and Bria has a Fever | The Boneyard

Three Huskies traded in one night. KLS a Spark, Gabby pairing with Stewie and Sue and Bria has a Fever

Reaction Score
Do players ever stay on one team for more than a year in the WNBA? If they ever expand the league, the next team should be named Temporary because that's basically what these players are.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
According to Em Adler of The Next:

"Los Angeles, Seattle: The Storm traded combo forward Katie Lou Samuelson and its first-round pick (ninth overall) to Los Angeles for wing Gabby Williams, per Galligan. The only takeaways I can make here are that the impression that I and Mark Schindler of Premium Hoops and Basketball News had of her play did not jive with the team’s assessment; and, that teams’ impressions of Gabby Williams are quite divorced from her most recent WNBA play. Because the fact that the Storm, an aging team that will desperately need rookies to develop soon, had to throw in a first-round pick to add $72,000 to its cap sheet is pretty significant."

Bria Hartley was also traded to Indiana Fever in a three-team deal. Full report:
https://the-boneyard.com/proxy.php?image=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2022%2F02%2FNadiria-Evans-UNCA.jpg&hash=f3691a65172d412a4082c72c0208fe29&return_error=1

Women's Basketball Daily Briefing: Let's make a deal — or two​

The Next's Daily Briefing, featuring the W Roundup, Watch List, and Yesterday's recap with a deal-filled even and Big 12 shakeup.
www.

Reaction Score
As much as I love Gabby how is she worth KLS and a first round pick. I just don’t see it.has she been killing it in Europe more so than KLS? Does this also mean Carly‘s days are numbered in Seattle. Their overall stats are very similar the Katie‘s shooting percentages are better especially for a three point percentage at 35% to Gabbys 25%. The stats for KLS are 2021 and Gabbys or 2020+ Gabby played three more minutes per game. So why the need to throw in a number one pick just seems excessive. Who now is Seattle’s Best three point shooter and does she compare with KLS?

Reaction Score
I feel so sorry for Lou. She has had such a terrible ride so far since becoming a Pro. The only benefit of being traded to the Sparks, is returning home and being supported by family and friends.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Great. Lou goes to an undisciplined team that will ignore her on the court. And Gabby being a more instinctive type player seems to me not a great fit on the methodical Storm.

And what did Bria do to deserve Indiana,

Reaction Score
@CajunHusky - I'm not sure about her ability to sell tickets, but I do agree with you regarding Hughes and Quinn. I don't understand the hiring of Quinn except as a stop gap. Nothing necessarily against her, but what are her qualifications to coach a top ranked championship caliber WNBA team trying to make a run for another championship? To me, she appeared to be coaching by committee last year.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Last I knew Gabby was playing for Chicago in 2019. She went to France and did not play in the WNBA since 2019. So I guess the Sparks some how acquired rights to her and then traded her to the Storm. I checked the WNBA for her stats. I displayed a webpage listing all active WNBA players, no Gabby. So the Storm trade a decent role player for another role player who has been out of the WNBA since 2019. AND a first round pick! Why blow a 1st round pick for a role player. Neither have done anything amazing in the WNBA. What are they adding to their coffee in Seattle?

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Before the Sky traded her, they designated her as _______ - can't remember the exact designation but in affect as a non-reporting player - but it meant that she was not allowed to play in the WNBA for 2021 whether she would have wanted to return or not. That designation carried over with the trade.

As far as draft picks - WNBA folks don't really value picks outside of the lottery picks.

Reaction Score
As far as draft picks - WNBA folks don't really value picks outside of the lottery picks.
I agree with this assessment. After 2022 though, the talent in these drafts is going to be a lot deeper and it seems like the high school pipeline is incredibly talented too. I definitely thought Phoenix trading their 2023 first round pick was a big mistake.

Reaction Score
Last I knew Gabby was playing for Chicago in 2019. She went to France and did not play in the WNBA since 2019. So I guess the Sparks some how acquired rights to her and then traded her to the Storm. I checked the WNBA for her stats. I displayed a webpage listing all active WNBA players, no Gabby. So the Storm trade a decent role player for another role player who has been out of the WNBA since 2019. AND a first round pick! Why blow a 1st round pick for a role player. Neither have done anything amazing in the WNBA. What are they adding to their coffee in Seattle?
If you’ve seen Gabby overseas and during the Olympics she has definitely elevated her game to where it was at Uconn she brings tenacity and way better defense than KLS could bring in a more explosive package I think Seattle got a good deal IMO!

Reaction Score
Not sure if she planned on a full year, but I do recall she wanted to be able to compete in the Olympics.
The Sky suspended Gabby. Then traded her to the Sparks. Since she was suspended, she couldn't play. This was for the 2020-2021 season.
I think you're off by a year as this all happened last year. The 2020 season was the Wubble.
Before the Sky traded her, they designated her as _______ - can't remember the exact designation but in affect as a non-reporting player - but it meant that she was not allowed to play in the WNBA for 2021 whether she would have wanted to return or not. That designation carried over with the trade.

That part sucked. Even though she was committed to the French National team, I wish there could have been a provision to have it rescinded/reversed when the trade happened. Mind you, the Sparks season wasn't all that great, but I think she could have helped them.

Reaction Score
Maybe, maybe not. Lauren Cox benefitted being traded there as she wasn't any playing time in Indiana. I thought she made an impact and could prove she belonged in the league.

Also, if Katie Lou's sister is able to stick with the team this season, it could be an interesting pairing on the court at times.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I didn't think of it at first, but Gabby's half-sister plays for U. of Washington. Won't quite be like Katie Lou and Karlie both playing for the Storm, but kinda nice to have family in the same city.

Reaction Score
Maybe, maybe not. Lauren Cox benefitted being traded there as she wasn't any playing time in Indiana. I thought she made an impact and could prove she belonged in the league.

Also, if Katie Lou's sister is able to stick with the team this season, it could be an interesting pairing on the court at times.
Isn't Karlie still part of the Seattle Storm? She was with the Sparks early last season but later joined the Storm...she is currently a free agent, so not sure where she will end up.

Seattle missed Alysha Clark's defense and even her offense last year. Gabby will provide that missed defense, maybe more on that side of the ball. She can also rebound better and from what she has been doing in Europe (Sopron) when allowed to do it, she can orchestrate the offense very well. Again in Europe, her offense has improved, including 3pt shooting. EuroLeague Defensive Player of the Year last year and first team All-League team. Doing well again this year. And, one cannot measure the effect of the energy level she plays with on the team - it can't be anything but good.

#9 in 2022 draft? Not compelling....unless someone from Australia or Europe is really, really good.....but you could have a chance at any of the UConn seniors.

As much as Katie Lou is improving (also very good in EuroLeague play with her Spanish team), this trade tips in favor of Seattle, especially since this is probably Sue's last year.....shoring up the defense for one last run with Sue and probably Stewie (committed for this season only but am sure the Storm will do everything it can to hold on to her)

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Gabby will provide that missed defense, maybe more on that side of the ball.
IMO Clark was the best perimeter defender in the WNBA for a number of years. It's a crime she's never gotten DPOY. I think Williams has a ways to go to be at that level as a defender.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom