Three four-star recruits in 15 days for UConn, all recruited by different assistant coaches | The Boneyard

Three four-star recruits in 15 days for UConn, all recruited by different assistant coaches

Reaction Score
Good article from the New Haven Register about how UConn is recruiting.

“I knew they were gonna do a good job recruiting,” said John Mosco, Diggins’ head coach at Archbishop Wood in Philadelphia. “And then, when they announced last year they were going to the Big East, I said that’s gonna get them back to where they were. Because they’re all hard-working guys, and they all know talent. I think they’re doing a tremendous job in getting involved with players and getting players to go there.”

For those without Register access: Three four-star recruits in 15 days for UConn, all recruited by different assistant coaches

Reaction Score
Terrific article by Dave Borges. We really do have some good sportswriters covering the UConn beat.

I swear when we were in the AAC it felt like the beat writers were losing interest (granted there weren't a lot of great story lines happening). Once we went back to the big east we started getting great content again from the horde and on a consistent basis too.

Reaction Score
I swear when we were in the AAC it felt like the beat writers were losing interest (granted there weren't a lot of great story lines happening). Once we went back to the big east we started getting great content again from the horde and on a consistent basis too.
Ive missed more games since joining the AAC than i did in the 25 previous years combined. Now that we`re in the Big East again once we get things going after this Covid thing i will be making Uconn games a priority again. I dont plan on missing a game.

Reaction Score
Ive missed more games since joining the AAC than i did in the 25 previous years combined. Now that we`re in the Big East again once we get things going after this Covid thing i will be making Uconn games a priority again. I dont plan on missing a game.
Was awfully hard to get excited for that UConn/Tulane game on the road when we were 4-7 in that conference and had Capt Mope sitting on the sidelines whining while the college basketball world was passing him by.

Reaction Score
It became a chore to watch a game rather than something I would plan my days around in order to watch. It was like a bunch of energy vampires sucking the soul out of you for 90 minutes

Reaction Score
"But the Huskies aren’t totally done recruiting for that class. James Bouknight would appear highly likely to declare for the 2021 NBA Draft, so UConn will continue to look for players....Bouknight’s decision wouldn’t come until after this upcoming season (if it’s played), and most of the top 2021 recruits will likely be off the board by then. But the Huskies will be keeping an eye on the grad transfer or regular transfer market.

Sounds like we'll be waiting until the spring for any more 2021 talents then.

Reaction Score
"But the Huskies aren’t totally done recruiting for that class. James Bouknight would appear highly likely to declare for the 2021 NBA Draft, so UConn will continue to look for players....Bouknight’s decision wouldn’t come until after this upcoming season (if it’s played), and most of the top 2021 recruits will likely be off the board by then. But the Huskies will be keeping an eye on the grad transfer or regular transfer market.

Sounds like we'll be waiting until the spring for any more 2021 talents then.
I know some schools over-recruit, especially when they know multiple players are going to the draft. Are we allowed to extend offers to guys for the current class now that we're supposedly full up? Or are we stuck waiting until Bouknight officially declares... I guess I just don't see why we'd be in the transfer market if we could be aiming for a normal 5 star freshman recruit.

Reaction Score
I know some schools over-recruit, especially when they know multiple players are going to the draft. Are we allowed to extend offers to guys for the current class now that we're supposedly full up? Or are we stuck waiting until Bouknight officially declares... I guess I just don't see why we'd be in the transfer market if we could be aiming for a normal 5 star freshman recruit.

Don't technically have to wait I believe, though it would obviously be harder to convince a recruit to come when no spot is available yet. Seems like our coaches aren't interested in that though.

Reaction Score
Don't technically have to wait I believe, though it would obviously be harder to convince a recruit to come when no spot is available yet. Seems like our coaches aren't interested in that though.
Got it. Makes sense. So more of an unwritten rule that minimizes risks.

Reaction Score
It became a chore to watch a game rather than something I would plan my days around in order to watch. It was like a bunch of energy vampires sucking the soul out of you for 90 minutes

I personally don't know a single fan, even diehard alumni, who stayed fully committed during the AAC/KO era. It was outright torture to watch and this is coming from someone who's been a Knicks fan for 30 years; I actually found the Knicks more palatable than UConn over the final four years of the AAC.

I knew enough guys who'd watch every game, many others who'd watch all of the good/real games (skip the cupcakes). Every last one of them was reduced to watching maybe a dozen games a year and maybe only a few from start to finish. A few friends went from near-diehard fans to not recognizing half the names on the roster. They have all come back in the last year.

Reaction Score
LSU and Will Wade regularly over recruit and even accept commitments over 13. I can't see Hurley doing the same though

Reaction Score
Not sure exactly where to put this, but...

Finally got around to watching the 7OT game. GREAT game. Rashool fouled out in the second OT, so this is from about 35 minutes of play. Definitely looked like the best player on the court today. Roach/Keels each had 30 points, but also played 20+ more minutes of basketball.

26 PTS
5 REB
4 AST (7 potential/foul)

3 TO
2 STL
2 BLK

5/10 2FG
4/8 3FG
4/5 FT

• Guarded by #1 Jeremy Roach a 2020 5* for most of the game… Keels when he was out of the game. Trevor Keels (2021, #16), Dug Mcdaniel (2022 4* with a bunch of offers) and a few different low-major guys are all on the team.
  • Just not a very fundamentally sound defender 1v1. Did look better this game though with higher effort. He seems to have a good sense for off-ball steals, getting steals/blocks/charges though. Doesn’t really even make an effort to stop drives generally--that will be a HUGE change for him when he gets on campus. I’d expect us to put Hawkins on their #1 guard and Diggins on the 2nd best.
  • Great to see him respond so positively to an amped crowd vs a top 15 high school team in the country. Should mean that he is focused and capable in big moments. Looked like the best player on the court IMO… wasn’t really wow’d by Keels during regulation.
  • Tremendously calming presence vs pressure for his team. They would have gotten blown out by a little press bc of nerves without rahsool. Even in the chaos of a 7OT game, he’s always the first guy to call together huddles.
  • When Paul VI went to a full denial on Rahsool things got pretty ugly for archbishop wood. He’s far and away the most talented kid on his team.

ARCHBISHOP WOOD vs PAUL VI "7 OVERTIME THRILLER IN MANILLA" LEGENDARY GAME!!!
  • Steal + the assist
  • 3 ball
  • Offensive board and mid-range J
  • Forces a TO on the 4*
  • Nice fight for the board
  • Block and a 3 on the other end. Nice recovery and rotation after he gets beat off the dribble. IQ play… follows it up with a trailing 3. FANTASTIC sequence.
  • Step-back 3
  • GREAT back cut and tough finish off two feet
  • Nice transition move and gets the goaltend
  • Nice block on McDaniels after a crappy closeout.
https://youtu.be/KgBAMDIToyw?t=2113
  • Wild sequence here… good potential assist to the 3* D1 football recruit, and an offensive board and-1 finish.
https://youtu.be/KgBAMDIToyw?t=2651
  • Euro from the corner for 2 on an OOB.

Reaction Score
Not sure exactly where to put this, but...

Finally got around to watching the 7OT game. GREAT game. Rashool fouled out in the second OT, so this is from about 35 minutes of play. Definitely looked like the best player on the court today. Roach/Keels each had 30 points, but also played 20+ more minutes of basketball.

26 PTS
5 REB
4 AST (7 potential/foul)

3 TO
2 STL
2 BLK

5/10 2FG
4/8 3FG
4/5 FT

• Guarded by #1 Jeremy Roach a 2020 5* for most of the game… Keels when he was out of the game. Trevor Keels (2021, #16), Dug Mcdaniel (2022 4* with a bunch of offers) and a few different low-major guys are all on the team.
  • Just not a very fundamentally sound defender 1v1. Did look better this game though with higher effort. He seems to have a good sense for off-ball steals, getting steals/blocks/charges though. Doesn’t really even make an effort to stop drives generally--that will be a HUGE change for him when he gets on campus. I’d expect us to put Hawkins on their #1 guard and Diggins on the 2nd best.
  • Great to see him respond so positively to an amped crowd vs a top 15 high school team in the country. Should mean that he is focused and capable in big moments. Looked like the best player on the court IMO… wasn’t really wow’d by Keels during regulation.
  • Tremendously calming presence vs pressure for his team. They would have gotten blown out by a little press bc of nerves without rahsool. Even in the chaos of a 7OT game, he’s always the first guy to call together huddles.
  • When Paul VI went to a full denial on Rahsool things got pretty ugly for archbishop wood. He’s far and away the most talented kid on his team.

• Steal + the assist
  • 3 ball
  • Offensive board and mid-range J
  • Forces a TO on the 4*
  • Nice fight for the board
  • Block and a 3 on the other end. Nice recovery and rotation after he gets beat off the dribble. IQ play… follows it up with a trailing 3. FANTASTIC sequence.
  • Step-back 3
  • GREAT back cut and tough finish off two feet
  • Nice transition move and gets the goaltend
  • Nice block on McDaniels after a crappy closeout.
  • Wild sequence here… good potential assist to the 3* D1 football recruit, and an offensive board and-1 finish.
  • Euro from the corner for 2 on an OOB.

That was one intense HS game- and worth a watch durning the covid sports purgatory we are living in- thank you.

Reaction Score
LSU and Will Wade regularly over recruit and even accept commitments over 13. I can't see Hurley doing the same though
Wade doe$ have certain advantage$ in per$uing a different $trategy.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Good article from the New Haven Register about how UConn is recruiting.

“I knew they were gonna do a good job recruiting,” said John Mosco, Diggins’ head coach at Archbishop Wood in Philadelphia. “And then, when they announced last year they were going to the Big East, I said that’s gonna get them back to where they were. Because they’re all hard-working guys, and they all know talent. I think they’re doing a tremendous job in getting involved with players and getting players to go there.”

For those without Register access: Three four-star recruits in 15 days for UConn, all recruited by different assistant coaches
this was mentioned by many of us before this article
but thanks anyway it is a decent article

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Right? It was like missing games (based on forgetting they were playing) wasn't embarrassing.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Whole heartedly agree.

Reaction Score
I personally don't know a single fan, even diehard alumni, who stayed fully committed during the AAC/KO era. It was outright torture to watch and this is coming from someone who's been a Knicks fan for 30 years; I actually found the Knicks more palatable than UConn over the final four years of the AAC.

I knew enough guys who'd watch every game, many others who'd watch all of the good/real games (skip the cupcakes). Every last one of them was reduced to watching maybe a dozen games a year and maybe only a few from start to finish. A few friends went from near-diehard fans to not recognizing half the names on the roster. They have all come back in the last year.
I felt like a bandwagon fan because I was exactly as you just said. And I've been on the BY since 1998/99. I didn't know anyone and they played like crap. Glad I'm not alone

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HassanDawg

Top Bottom