Three big 12 teams possibly joining the Big East | The Boneyard

Three big 12 teams possibly joining the Big East

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Plenty of rumors going around. I heard that the SEC is considering Missouri and/or West VA

Reaction Score
Missouri has state of the art facilities, plus a natural rivalry with Kansas. However even if they interest the BE, I would think other conferences would be hunting them down too (particularly now that 12 teams doesn't seem to be a limit anymore) Really we're entering uncharted waters at this point.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
if the big east does go for ku, k state, and mizzou, they need to drop ND, Seton Hall, Depaul, PC

Reaction Score
if the big east does go for ku, k state, and mizzou, they need to drop ND, Seton Hall, Depaul, PC
Where do you guys get this "just drop Team X" stuff? the options are add teams or split between football and basketball. The Big East is NOT dropping teams. mianly because they can't. And in particular they aren't dropping charter members like PC and Seton Hall. They can't do it. Teams can leave, or teams can be added based on the league's approved procedures. They can't be kicked out short of taking some action which violates the league agreements (eg, dropping a sport, downgrading to D-2 thigns like that.) The one team that was dropped, Temple, was in a very different situation. they were an associate member for football only. Not a full member.

Reaction Score
In part the NCAA is responsible for making this happen, too. On the basketball side in particular, conference standings no longer make any difference. If you can finsih 11th in your league, 3 spots below the midpoint, with a losing league record, and still get an NCAA bid, what the heck does conference play mean? Not a thing. it is merely a scheduling (and income producing) entity. So why not expand to 20 or 24 or 30 even. Play in divisions. have a nice meaningless tournament come march, tkae your NCAA bid and go on to the real event.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Where do you guys get this "just drop Team X" stuff? the options are add teams or split between football and basketball. The Big East is NOT dropping teams. mianly because they can't. And in particular they aren't dropping charter members like PC and Seton Hall. They can't do it. Teams can leave, or teams can be added based on the league's approved procedures. They can't be kicked out short of taking some action which violates the league agreements (eg, dropping a sport, downgrading to D-2 thigns like that.) The one team that was dropped, Temple, was in a very different situation. they were an associate member for football only. Not a full member.
yeah so does pc, seton hall, depaul, have football teams? so if they dont they would not be a full member and nd is independent

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
right. can't drop but what in the current charter would prevent the football schools from "splitting off"? for lack of a better name, the divisions could be called Big East Football and Big East Hoops Only. frankly if the BE football conference got up to 12 schools, i wouldn't mind a home and home every season on the hoops side for the 11 schools we'd play. or they could spilt it into 2 divisions and play 5 teams home and home, and the other 6 teams alternating every year but 1 game only.

Reaction Score
right. can't drop but what in the current charter would prevent the football schools from "splitting off"? for lack of a better name, the divisions could be called Big East Football and Big East Hoops Only. frankly if the BE football conference got up to 12 schools, i wouldn't mind a home and home every season on the hoops side for the 11 schools we'd play. or they could spilt it into 2 divisions and play 5 teams home and home, and the other 6 teams alternating every year but 1 game only.

Yes, but of the nine (including TCU but not Notre Dame) current football members, how many are competitive in hoops as well?

UConn: Won the national championship, no questions there.
Syracuse: Also a premier program
Cincinnati: I think they're overrated. They got a boost this year because of their SOS from playing in the Big East. Won't happen here.
Rutgers: One of the worst hoops teams in the Big East. Right now, there are a bunch of teams bringing us up, thankfully.
Louisville: A middle-of the road program, but not what it used to be.
South Florida: Terrible hoops school. Football is good, though.
West Virginia: Sort of in the same class as Louisville, except that they never were a nationally premier team.
Pittsburgh: Plays well during the regular season, but always flops come March Madness.
TCU: Terrible. Way worse even than USF.

In the non-fb half, you'd have Nova, UND, DePaul, Seton Hall, Georgetown, Marquette, Providence, and St. John's. Six of those are Top 25 schools, but none, with the possible exception of ND and maybe Nova, are truly premier.

So all in all, excluding the three hypothetical additions, that conference would have two, maybe three premier programs, another three or so upper level programs who are probably Top 25 material, but not even close to national championship material, and then Rutgers, USF, and TCU, who are there to play football. Now, who would we add? They would have to be football schools. Villanova could make it easy and upgrade to FBS. But to bring it up to 12, say you add Kansas and Missouri. Kansas has a great, premier hoops program and a bad football program. Mizzou has a decent hoops program and a very good football program. But I doubt the Tigers could compete with UConn, 'Cuse, and Pitt. So all in all, I think a split would be a lose-lose proposition. You're splitting up the good hoops schools, and there's really no way to improve football without hurting hoops even more and vice versa.

Reaction Score
I don't know how anyone can say that Louisville is a"middle of the road team"with 8 final fours and 2 National championships. Plus they have a premiere coach!
Also, let's not ignore the fact that both Seton Hall and Providence were original members of the BE before we cast them aside. This thread is all too reminiscent of a few years back when the ACC raided the Big East and we all wondered where UConn would end up. Since then both UConn's football and basketball teams have prospered. I think that once again we will be all right.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Barring a dramatic intervening event the concept two divisions (although perhaps with different names) I think this is a logical mid step before breaking apart.

Reaction Score
I feel weird for saying this, but I would miss Seton Hall as a BE team, it's a shame really, SHU used to be a competitive dark-horse BE team at one time, now they're just struggling.

Reaction Score
Louisville certainly is not a middle of the road program in basketball by any stretch. Louisville will be a valuable school to have in the Big East in the future.

Reaction Score
Yes, but of the nine (including TCU but not Notre Dame) current football members, how many are competitive in hoops as well?

Cincinnati: I think they're overrated. They got a boost this year because of their SOS from playing in the Big East. Won't happen here.
Rutgers: One of the worst hoops teams in the Big East. Right now, there are a bunch of teams bringing us up, thankfully.
West Virginia: Sort of in the same class as Louisville, except that they never were a nationally premier team.
Pittsburgh: Plays well during the regular season, but always flops come March Madness.

In the non-fb half, you'd have Nova, UND, DePaul, Seton Hall, Georgetown, Marquette, Providence, and St. John's. Six of those are Top 25 schools, but none, with the possible exception of ND and maybe Nova, are truly premier.

So all in all, excluding the three hypothetical additions, that conference would have two, maybe three premier programs, another three or so upper level programs who are probably Top 25 material, but not even close to national championship material, and then Rutgers, USF, and TCU, who are there to play football. Now, who would we add? They would have to be football schools. Villanova could make it easy and upgrade to FBS. But to bring it up to 12, say you add Kansas and Missouri. Kansas has a great, premier hoops program and a bad football program. Mizzou has a decent hoops program and a very good football program. But I doubt the Tigers could compete with UConn, 'Cuse, and Pitt. So all in all, I think a split would be a lose-lose proposition. You're splitting up the good hoops schools, and there's really no way to improve football without hurting hoops even more and vice versa.
Is this a joke? lol

Reaction Score
"With the heart of the Big 12 gutted, that would allow the Big East to follow through on its reported plans to add Kansas, K-State and Mizzou"

could you imagine those three in the big east:confused: imagine uconn at kansas in february both ranked in the top 5.

Reaction Score

I gotta agree with what some of the others have said here. Louisville went to the Final Four in 2005 and have an outstanding history/tradition and facilities. Uconn and Syracuse are top notch obviously. Pitt is a perennial Top 10 program their postseason problems notwithstanding. WVU is solid in hoops and went to a Final Four a few years ago too. Add KU to that mix and that is an awesome basketball conference. Mizzou and Cincy have both had their Top 25 success too.

Reaction Score
The Big East football schools could certainly split off, join with the remaining B-12 schools and form a new conference, and my guess is that that is what has been threatend if the basketball members don't support the addition of new football members. the format being considered is the 12 football/20 basketball model. Football would be 2 divisions of 6 teams each, most likely East (UCONN, Syracuse, Rutgers, Pitt West virginia, South florida) West (Kansas, K-State, Missouri, Cincinatti, Louisville, TCU) with a championship game. basketball would be 4 5 team divisions which would play home-home in the division (8 games), then 1 division on the road and a second division at home (10 games total) They would not play one division each year.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Louisville has probably the nicest arena in the country, sells out 22,000 , recent high-level success, and PRINTS MONEY HAND OVER FIST.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom