Three Arguments for GOAT | The Boneyard

Three Arguments for GOAT

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
With Taurasi breaking the scoring record once again the GOAT discussion has been revived. While I've favored Taurasi in the past as GOAT at UConn I'm more equivocal than some (including Auriemma, who clearly seems to favor Taurasi). While I agree with Wally East that teammates matter, it also matters what impact the GOAT has on teammates. Yet even Auriemma, an undisputed GOAT in his own right, cannot get the best out of every single player. With that in mind I have arguments in support of either Taurasi, Moore or Stewart depending upon the type of team they are on.

First I'd like to give a nod to the UConn player who is never in the discussion, despite being an Olympian, WNBA MVP and collegiate MVP. In other words, Charles has the talent and pedigree that should put her in the discussion, why hasn't she been? The answer is Moore. Charles could have conceivably won a championship leading a team without Moore ... if she worked as hard on her game as she did after Moore became a Husky.

This is the argument in favor of Moore. None of the others have as much dedication or determination as Moore. This is a particularly good attribute for a GOAT if you are surrounded by all stars whose natural talent perhaps has gotten in the way of their own determination. Why try so hard when you are naturally so good? Well, Moore is the reason why. She's even better than you are yet she's working harder; are you just going to sit and watch or climb on board?

Moore joined a team full of extremely talented players in the Lynx, yet they seriously underperformed until she arrived. More telling, I think, is the play of the newcomer Fowles. I know people favor Griner as the most naturally gifted center, and she is for playing all over the court, but given her body type and other factors I'll take a seriously determined Fowles over Griner for playing solely near the basket. Moore is the GOAT for all stars that need to be motivated.

Yet it should be noted that Moore also has not won a college championship without Charles, or without at least a minimum of two other Olympians on the roster. It should also be noted that she did not win a championship her senior year precisely because she was so good, yet too willing to put everyone on her back while they failed to "climb on board."

I do not think Taurasi is the type of player Fowles needs for greatness, only someone like Moore will do. However, Taurasi is the type of player Griner needs, despite being an all star in her own right .... and for that matter Strother, Turner or Crockett .... who clearly are not. Maybe I'm being too subjective here, but I've always had the impression that Griner needed to be inspired, shot with confidence, more than motivated. In any case, Taurasi is the GOAT you want when you need to boost the confidence of teammates and inspire them to play their best, rather than take a back seat as you take over a game. And let's face it, despite bballnut's superlatives in describing Taurasi's supporting cast on the Mercury, they simply don't compare to Moore's supporting cast on the Lynx.

I've spent more time thinking about how Taurasi and Moore compare, but I don't think anyone can deny Stewart being placed in the GOAT discussion at this point for UConn. Moore is the motivating GOAT, Taurasi the inspiring, I hereby claim Stewart the calming GOAT. She doesn't really look to put a team on her back or motivate them like Moore, or lead or inspire them to play better like Taurasi, but it seems she calms her teammates when needed. They don't take a back seat so much as see Stewart cover their mistakes or come up with a needed play, seemingly without effort, and that settles them down. (As an aside, I've never made up my mind who actually can do more different things better on the court, Moore or Stewart, but Moore makes it seem it's with more athleticism, Stewart makes it seem it is with less effort) I don't think Stewart would be of as much use on a team of all stars like the Lynx, or with Charles as a teammate, or of as much use with teammates like Strother, Turner and Crockett (though Strother did seem not to handle having to be the one very well), but with very good players like Hartley and Dolson, facing a team of equal talent that seemed to have their number, Stewart was just the calming GOAT the doctor ordered.

So I'm equivocating to the end. I don't get the certainty some folks have, though I guess that's just how people are. I will say this, all three have value in terms of what they intangibly do for teammates, which is why all three will be in the discussion for GOAT of the WNBA (Stewart, too, eventually) and Griner, despite greater physical gifts than perhaps all of them, will not. Yes, teammates matter, but for essentially the same reason what really matters is what you do for teammates.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
My hat is off to anyone who can write something so seriously analytical this early in the day (8:57 here)! DT is the GOAT, but, yes, she may be eclipsed in time. I do agree that Griner will never be it. She is a complimentary player, though very, very good in her position.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Always like your posts Digger. A little confused as to which you are trying to define college or WNBA GOAT and it is fun because all the players being discussed have played in the WNBA period so you can discuss both and either separate or combine the periods of their career.

It is also interesting that the three (and adding Charles the four) all play fundamentally different positions - DT at combo guard, Moore at wing and Stewart at forward (with Charles at power forward/center.) I would add in a fifth in Sue at PG (Moriah may challenge over time.) With the fifth player it would make for a devastating starting five.

For their career as a whole I have to go with DT - adding in Europe I think it is not close - Maya has made a smart professional choice in playing in Asia as it is a much shorter season and her body gets some down time each year, but the Chinese competition is just not the same as what is available in Europe.

The position issue is also important as DT is able to influence the offense more from her guard position than the others can.

All three have that 'calming effect' on teammates and it has manifested itself on different NTs - DT in this last Olympics was the one to score early and often and settle the team. Maya specifically in the 2010 WC but also in 2012 seemed to take on that role. Stewart hasn't done it on the NT but did it frequently on her college teams.

Basketball is such an interesting game because the five players on the court are so interdependent, especially in the women's game that we often overlook players like Sue and Moriah and how they impact a team because they are never leading in scoring or rebounding or blocked shots and seldom in 'wow' plays. Yeah, they get lots of assists, but that is always in the hands of the recipient actually making the shot. But having a really good PG is the best way to start a successful team.

Reaction Score
Since longevity is part of the criteria, the designation should be GOAT - to date. That might reduce the angst some feel and give their favorites hope for the future.

Wally East

Posting via the Speed Force
Reaction Score
I have more thoughts about this that I'll post after I have more time but Tina Charles, as great as she is, is behind Rebecca Lobo in the UConn GOAT rankings. Rebecca is better across the board statistically speaking as compared to Charles.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I have more thoughts about this that I'll post after I have more time but Tina Charles, as great as she is, is behind Rebecca Lobo in the UConn GOAT rankings. Rebecca is better across the board statistically speaking as compared to Charles.
I'll be interested in seeing your thoughts on it. As much as I like Lobo, I think I'd give the nod to Charles but I haven't really thought about it.

Back to the larger discussion, if we are talking "GOAT at UConn" which would imply best UConn career, I think you'd have go with Stewart. Four championships and 4 NCAA MVPs is a tough hand to beat.

If you are talking GOAT for women's BB players, then I think Taurasi's success at every level, her scoring, and her clutch play makes her the clear choice.

Last edited:

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score

Love them both. Big difference is Rebecca came in and believed from day 1 and listened. Tina, honest to God, for the first 2 1/2 years wanted to make it a contest of wills! Do you remember?

Reaction Score
I think if you asked Rebecca if she was better than Tina she would laugh. But women's basketball had improved a lot by the time Tina got there. And I think the GOAT discussion was not just about UConn but also about after college play. Rebecca did next to nothing post college. Tina has put up huge, ridiculous numbers in the WNBA against the best talent in the world. I love Rebecca, but can you imagine how sore she would have been after facing Tina?

Wally East

Reaction Score
Hmm. Maybe we need to define GOAT of what, precisely :)

For me, what happens after players leave UConn is interesting but of less consequence. Plus, in terms of comparisons, it's a lot cleaner and easier. How does one compare Jen Rizzotti's time in the ABL to Renee Montgomery's time in the WNBA? And I don't have the knowledge to start including European play.

And then there's this:

I think if you asked Rebecca if she was better than Tina she would laugh. But women's basketball had improved a lot by the time Tina got there. And I think the GOAT discussion was not just about UConn but also about after college play. Rebecca did next to nothing post college. Tina has put up huge, ridiculous numbers in the WNBA against the best talent in the world. I love Rebecca, but can you imagine how sore she would have been after facing Tina?

Well, among her many fine qualities, Rebecca is fairly humble, so I wouldn't be surprised if she laughed it off. But that does lead to a few interesting questions.

What is the methodology for this? What do we compare?

If we're just going to say that women's basketball keeps evolving than no player from the past can ever compete in the present? Twelve years passed between DT's freshman season and Stewie's, so is Stewie automatically better since she competed against players who are (supposedly) bigger, faster, and stronger? Not only are her stats much better but she put up those better stats against better players. (That's only 3 more years than between Rebecca and Tina, by the way.)

Or do we just compare how players played against their competition? Do we look at how Rebecca dominated her competition and then compare that to how Tina dominated hers without placing them in direct competition (i.e., Rebecca could bench X but Tina could bench X + Y) (by the way, I have no knowledge of whether Y is a positive or negative number)?

The second way is definitely easier. We don't have to speculate, "Well, the progress between 1992 and 2007 was more/less significant than the progress between 2000 and 2013, even though there's an overlap of seven years." And that's all it would be, too, without hard data like numbers for bench press or times for sprinting full court.

Then, there's the issue of team performance. Do we say that D's 3 rings > Maya's 2, therefore D is better? If so, Stewie has 4: Is she better than D? No? How does that make Stewie not as good? Well, then, back to D and Maya, are they equal? D won 3 but lost 1 with the same personnel that went undefeated the next season and played like poop in losing (in both halves, so, Geno's mythical/legendary halftime ranting breakdown only had so much impact). Maya never had a game in the Final Four like that. But her teammates couldn't come through for her when she was a senior. Is that her fault? Is it her teammates' fault? Or Geno's fault for doing the recruiting/coaching? Do we look at just one game? If so, how much weight do we give it? And are you willing to say that D > Maya because X didn't score more and UConn lost to Stanford in 2011? But if that matters, doesn't that bring you back to 4 > 3?

Either championships won matter or they don't. Can't be sometimes or in some cases.

But, if they do matter, how much?

And, if you believe that it does matter, then are you willing to say with that in mind, Stewie > D since Stewie won 4?

Welcome back to the beginning of the circle, my friend :)

Additionally, there's:

D beat Tennessee. But Stewie and Maya never had that chance. Does that matter? Tennessee had lost a lot of luster, especially by the time Stewie played. Was beating Notre Dame enough?

On the other hand, Stewie and Maya never lost to Villinova or (shudder) Boston College.

So, does four-year UConn record matter?

TL;DR (because someone will ask, that's "Too long; didn't read"): Rebecca is humble. What are we taking into account for GOAT? Don't be lazy and just say, "Well, Geno says D is the GOAT, so, the end.

CL82

Reaction Score
@Wally East I like your thought process. We should do a UConn GOAT poll. It's as good an off season topic as any. The criteria would be based on UConn the candidates UConn years only. Do you want to set it up?

To me the GOAT performs at the highest levels. 4 natties and 4 MVPs puts Breanna at the top

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
Hmm. Maybe we need to define GOAT of what, precisely :)

What is the methodology for this? What do we compare?

First, I don't believe I've ever confessed to you, as I have to UcMiami, Cocohusky and some others, that I enjoy your posts, precisely because your commitment to empiricism (whether you consider it as such or not). I minored in statistics, I call myself an empiricist, I'm always cognizant of the validity and reliability of data.

Your focus here is on reliability. How can one reliably compare? How can a methodology be adopted to come up with an undisputed answer?

The answer I believe you are driving at, or at least hope, is that we can't because of that other equally important ingredient of empiricism, validity. What is the most valid criteria for comparing a GOAT? This is difficult, I would say impossible, because there are intangibles involved, namely the impact a player has on teammates. I recall one year when Parker won MVP she had one of the worst +/- on her team, which failed to win a championship. By most things you could reliably measure (except +/-) she had a superlative year, yet were any of those reliable measures the most valid to compare? The most valid criteria probably were not reliably measurable.

That's why I equivocate to the end. I happen to think THE most valid criteria is not points, rebounds or any of the reliable measures, but rather the important criteria of the impact a superstar has on the rest of her team. All three of UConn's potential GOATs had a positive impact on their teammates, but that impact differed.

With a nod to UcMiami, yes, all three calmed their teammates. All three, in fact, motivated their teammates with their determination. All three, in fact, instilled their teammates with confidence. Yet when I read the comments of their teammates Taurasi is particularly cited for leadership and making her teammates believe, Moore is particularly cited for her work ethic and determination, Stewart is particularly cited for being able to do anything she wants on the court (including by Taurasi) and calming her teammates down. Which is the most valid of these unmeasurable criteria? Well, that brings us to another sticky wicket. It depends on who your teammates are.

So if you are trying to make the argument that there can be no certainty to this argument I'm full square with you. That doesn't mean the argument can't be had, it's fun, as long as it's done with a degree of humility.

Reaction Score
I'll be interested in seeing your thoughts on it. As much as I like Lobo, I think I'd give the nod to Charles but I haven't really thought about it.

Back to the larger discussion, if we are talking "GOAT at UConn" which would imply best UConn career, I think you'd have go with Stewart. Four championships and 4 NCAA MVPs is a tough hand to beat.

If you are talking GOAT for women's BB players, then I think Taurasi's success at every level, her scoring, and her clutch play makes her the clear choice.
Not sure why many measure "greatness" based solely on offense. Lobo or Stewart were outstanding at all facets of the game-offense, rebounding, and particularly defense. They not only led the team in scoring but shut down other team's top players. I don't follow women's pro sports enough to comment, but relative to overall performance and winning at the college level, have to go with Stewart.

CL82

Reaction Score
Not sure why many measure "greatness" based solely on offense.
Because, in the end, putting the ball in the hole is the most visual aspect of the game.

I agree that it isn't the only the factor though. In the 1999 UConn MBB national championship game against Duke Ricky Moore's outstanding defense against Trajan Langdon was the one of the biggest factors in the game.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
First, I don't believe I've ever confessed to you, as I have to UcMiami, Cocohusky and some others, that I enjoy your posts, precisely because your commitment to empiricism (whether you consider it as such or not). I minored in statistics, I call myself an empiricist, I'm always cognizant of the validity and reliability of data.

Your focus here is on reliability. How can one reliably compare? How can a methodology be adopted to come up with an undisputed answer?

The answer I believe you are driving at, or at least hope, is that we can't because of that other equally important ingredient of empiricism, validity. What is the most valid criteria for comparing a GOAT? This is difficult, I would say impossible, because there are intangibles involved, namely the impact a player has on teammates. I recall one year when Parker won MVP she had one of the worst +/- on her team, which failed to win a championship. By most things you could reliably measure (except +/-) she had a superlative year, yet were any of those reliable measures the most valid to compare? The most valid criteria probably were not reliably measurable.

That's why I equivocate to the end. I happen to think THE most valid criteria is not points, rebounds or any of the reliable measures, but rather the important criteria of the impact a superstar has on the rest of her team. All three of UConn's potential GOATs had a positive impact on their teammates, but that impact differed.

With a nod to UcMiami, yes, all three calmed their teammates. All three, in fact, motivated their teammates with their determination. All three, in fact, instilled their teammates with confidence. Yet when I read the comments of their teammates Taurasi is particularly cited for leadership and making her teammates believe, Moore is particularly cited for her work ethic and determination, Stewart is particularly cited for being able to do anything she wants on the court (including by Taurasi) and calming her teammates down. Which is the most valid of these unmeasurable criteria? Well, that brings us to another sticky wicket. It depends on who your teammates are.

So if you are trying to make the argument that there can be no certainty to this argument I'm full square with you. That doesn't mean the argument can't be had, it's fun, as long as it's done with a degree of humility.
I think you have come down to the only true reality - GOAT or just greatness in a team sport is fundamentally in the eye of the beholder whether that be a teammate or fan. Some of the greatest players in team sports have never won the ultimate prizes or have won but far less frequently than players no one sees as 'great'.

Add in eras as the sport they compete in evolves and it becomes even more 'eye of the beholder' as the discussion about Charles and Lobo brings up, and longevity adds another dimension - Tina Thompson was very good for a very long time so she got the scoring record, but I never hear her name mentioned in GOAT discussions, yet Diana passing that record, to some, validates or at least adds to her candidacy as the GOAT.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Then, there's the issue of team performance. Do we say that D's 3 rings > Maya's 2, therefore D is better? If so, Stewie has 4: Is she better than D? No? How does that make Stewie not as good? Well, then, back to D and Maya, are they equal? D won 3 but lost 1 with the same personnel that went undefeated the next season and played like poop in losing (in both halves, so, Geno's mythical/legendary halftime ranting breakdown only had so much impact). Maya never had a game in the Final Four like that. But her teammates couldn't come through for her when she was a senior. Is that her fault? Is it her teammates' fault? Or Geno's fault for doing the recruiting/coaching? Do we look at just one game? If so, how much weight do we give it? And are you willing to say that D > Maya because X didn't score more and UConn lost to Stanford in 2011? But if that matters, doesn't that bring you back to 4 > 3?
What I find sort of amusing is that when it was just DT vs. Maya the deciding factor for many in favor of DT was 3 vs. 2 in our yearly discussions. For many of those who cited that fact, now that Breanna is there at 4 vs. DT's 3, number of championships is no longer relevant because while DT only has 3 she is still the Uconn GOAT because __________ [fill in the blank.]

Wally East

Reaction Score
What I find sort of amusing is that when it was just DT vs. Maya the deciding factor for many in favor of DT was 3 vs. 2 in our yearly discussions. For many of those who cited that fact, now that Breanna is there at 4 vs. DT's 3, number of championships is no longer relevant because while DT only has 3 she is still the UConn GOAT because __________ [fill in the blank.]

This. This this this this this. So much this :D

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
DT is the greatest winner, the greatest killer, the best smack talker, and 'elevator of teammates' I've ever seen. Some people like to plug Maya, probably because she's a nice, sweet, ideal daughter type. As opposed to DT's tough, brash bravado from the streets of Chino. But you take Maya, I take DT...and I will win. :cool:

BTW, I love the fact that the choice is between 2 UCONN players. Add Stewart in the for the future and it's a 3-fer

Reaction Score
Not sure why many measure "greatness" based solely on offense. Lobo or Stewart were outstanding at all facets of the game-offense, rebounding, and particularly defense. They not only led the team in scoring but shut down other team's top players. I don't follow women's pro sports enough to comment, but relative to overall performance and winning at the college level, have to go with Stewart.
I think one of the reasons that scoring is in many people's minds the greatest factor in determining greatness is that it is easier to measure. A player may not even have had many blocks or steals but never let there opponents touch the ball; that player would be unlikely to be in the discussion of GOAT.

But I think a commission of Boneyarders or whomever could be set up to determine the specific criteria of what determines greatness. Many would be unhappy with the results. Like UCMiami said, it is really in the eye of the beholder.

If I was asked, though, who was the GOAT just at UConn, I would say Breanna Stewart. The young woman can do it all and is physically capable of doing more than anyone else could ever do at UConn. Besides that, she lived up to her potential, with four championships and four MOPs. Really, how can you argue with that? I know, someone will find a way.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Stewart led UConn to the title as a freshman. DT shot the team out of the game as a freshman. The only way you can give it to DT is if you think the freshman year doesn't count. (I'm just talking UConn career here, DT is the GOAT for WBB overall.)

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Stewart led UConn to the title as a freshman. DT shot the team out of the game as a freshman. The only way you can give it to DT is if you think the freshman year doesn't count. (I'm just talking UConn career here, DT is the GOAT for WBB overall.)

Nah, I look at the cast of characters they played with over their careers. I don't think anybody else on the planet carries the Jr and Sr year DT teams to titles. That's still the greatest feat I've seen in WCBB. It was like Danny Manning carrying Kansas to a title. Just unreal.

Also, that team that DT played for lost their 2 best/most experienced players later in the year. That was huge. Subtract Dolson and Hartley from Breanna's team...and do you think she wins it? I'd bet all my money no.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Nah, I look at the cast of characters they played with over their careers. I don't think anybody else on the planet carries the Jr and Sr year DT teams to titles. That's still the greatest feat I've seen in WCBB. It was like Danny Manning carrying Kansas to a title. Just unreal.

Also, that team that DT played for lost their 2 best/most experienced players later in the year. That was huge. Subtract Dolson and Hartley from Breanna's team...and do you think she wins it? I'd bet all my money no.
Add Asjha, Tamika, Sue, Swin to freshman Maya or freshman Breanna and do you really think they would lose? :eek::rolleyes:

As I have posted before - the 2003 and 2004 teams were actually full of talent including upper class talent - what people all remember about that 2003 class was that it couldn't win in 2005 or 2006, but that was more the result of the coaches failing on the recruiting front in 2004 and 2005 than of their skills.

Wally East

Reaction Score
The answer I believe you are driving at, or at least hope, is that we can't because of that other equally important ingredient of empiricism, validity. What is the most valid criteria for comparing a GOAT? This is difficult, I would say impossible, because there are intangibles involved, namely the impact a player has on teammates.

It's definitely very difficult/impossible/subjective to measure impact on teammates. Making things even more difficult is measuring defense. One can look at blocks and steals but that's not the whole story. If someone is a lock-down one-on-one defender, will it follow that fewer passes get made to the player she is defending?

I would love if +/- was available to us for UConn players. I would be willing to bet the staff has it.

And thank you so much for saying you enjoy my posts :)

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Add Asjha, Tamika, Sue, Swin to freshman Maya or freshman Breanna and do you really think they would lose? :eek::rolleyes:

Yeah, I do. That was sophomore Bird/Cash/Swin though. Not the upper class version. The only one of those players who truly was a factor in that FF game was Bird. They missed their senior leaders.

As I have posted before - the 2003 and 2004 teams were actually full of talent including upper class talent - what people all remember about that 2003 class was that it couldn't win in 2005 or 2006, but that was more the result of the coaches failing on the recruiting front in 2004 and 2005 than of their skills.

What? because they didn't have great freshman and sophomores they couldn't win it? Come on. As upperclassmen, most of these kids wouldn't have seen much time on recent UCONN teams. Anne, Barb, and Moore could have gotten minutes. To say these were great players is truly looking back through blue tinted glasses.

Wally East

Reaction Score

Yeah but they had already lost to ND. D scored 6 and fouled out -- in 15 minutes. In the Bird at the Buzzer game, she fouled out again in 29 minutes but did score 14 points but was 5 of 14. UConn won this game w/o Svet and w/ Shea for just one half. The team w/o the two of them was pretty loaded.

In the FF game, D really did shoot UConn out of the game. 1 of 15 AND she fouled out. She had a big part in UConn losing each game.

If UConn didn't have Dolson and Hartley against ND in the FF in 2013? Hartley had 15 points but 6 TOs. Dolson had 9 points but 7 TOs. There would've been more minutes for Tuck, Mo, and Kiah. Stewie (and KML) would have wound up with more shots. The 2013 team wasn't as deep as the 2001 team but I wouldn't be surprised if Stewie carried the team.

On the flip side, here's a question: How does the '01 team compare to the '11 team?

Saying D is the greatest winner in history and then ignoring when she didn't win AND when other players win more is a bit inconsistent, don't you think?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom