ThoughtZ™ and Hawks are giving me a headache. | The Boneyard

ThoughtZ™ and Hawks are giving me a headache.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
  1. WTF?
  2. Appears that maybe Martin is more important than the yard has given him credit for. Especially on the boards.
  3. Too much black hole syndrome going on with Sanogo. I thought we were better late in the 2nd half, when he was on the bench. We were less predictable on offense.
  4. Jackson is not remotely close to a finished product. Box score said he had 3 TOs, but it sure felt like more than that. Among other issues, when he gets his hand on a defensive board, he tries to get headed down court before he actually has control of the ball. I appreciate the hell out of his 7 boards and 4 dimes, but it doesn't feel like he's really in sync somehow.
  5. Thank the Lord for RJ Cole tonight. 50% from the floor and from 3, all his FTs, 5 boards, 4 dimes, an assist, a block and just one TO.
  6. Gaffney wasn't spectacular, but he he was 2 or 3 from three, and had a few boards and led us with 5 assists.
  7. Whaley came up big in the 2nd half. Only 8 points, but the offensive boards and the blocks and steals were key components in the win.
  8. Tyler made a couple big threes, but he definitely wasn't ON from three. He did have a couple effort plays at the basket, which were good to see.
  9. Doesn't feel like it, but according to the box score, we won this game at the FT line. Both teams shot 7 of 18 from 3. Both teams made 13 two pointers. But we outscored them from the line by 9.
  10. All in all, it was a win. But a very unsatisfying win.
  11. Now we're without Tyrese until who knows when and may be without Adama for a game or two as well.
  12. And again, WTF?

Reaction Score
Conference play starts in 19 days. We have one more cupcake in Grambling followed by St Bonaventure and WVU before we open BE play vs PC. You can make the argument that the next 19 days are the most crucial of the season. Whatever has been going wrong needs to get fixed before conference play so things don’t snowball. I think we will all feel better if we go out and beat up on Grambling Saturday.

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
Seemed to me that no one with the exceptions of Cole and (maybe) Whaley and Polley even wanted the ball when we needed to score. I know Gaffney hit 2 threes, but I just like him better on the bench than on the floor.

Tonight just reinforced my uninformed opinion of how important Reese is. If he was healthy this would have been a 20+ point win. And unlike some other guys, his level of play isn't hugely affected by who we're playing against. He just goes out and plays his best. Seems like other, "better" players vacillate between their best and about 10% of their best. We've got some fragile performers out there, and it's not a new thing.

How did Adama and Akok have so little impact in that mess of a game? Did DH get scared of a team "playing small" again, and not know how to run anything?

Martin would have ruined them.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
1. Hawkins and Gaffney get beat constantly on dribble drives to the basket. Not just this game, every game.

2. RJ is the only “scorer” whom can be counted on to produce points every game. The other “scorers”, Hawkins and Polley, put points up every third or fourth game. That doesn’t cut it. With Martin out indefinitely, and the lack of shooters on this team, those two need to produce every game…at least every other.

3. Akok? What is going on here?

Reaction Score
I am still very worried that Adams Sunoco get have in under the boards too often and does not get the ball to a team mate.

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
I am still very worried that Adams Sunoco get have in under the boards too often and does not get the ball to a team mate.
Umm, I need a decoder ring for the first part of that, but yeah. It's pisssing all of us off when there's a wide open perimeter shooter 8 ft from him and he dribbles into oblivion. Seriously, how hard can it be to coach that??

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
Umm, I need a decoder ring for the first part of that, but yeah. It's pisssing all of us off when there's a wide open perimeter shooter 8 ft from him and he dribbles into oblivion. Seriously, how hard can it be to coach that??
Don't pass him the ball unless he's inside the arc of protection. His shooting percentage bites from more than a couple feet, and he refuses to look for open teammates. At this point, giving him the ball more than 5 feet from the round thingie with the fish net skirt deal hanging from it is simply bad basketball.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
  1. Thank the Lord for RJ Cole tonight. 50% from the floor and from 3, all his FTs, 5 boards, 4 dimes, an assist, a block and just one TO.
I'm concerned that he was 'forced' into doing too much, and that it's not sustainable.
  1. Whaley came up big in the 2nd half. Only 8 points, but the offensive boards and the blocks and steals were key components in the win.
His smart play was utterly essential, and it needs to rub off on or somehow show up in others.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom