Thoughts | The Boneyard

Thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
So I will begin by saying I don't know I'm right with any of these thoughts, except the one that will pertain to the BY in general:

1) Gibbs is a really good pick up. He was a few months ago and still is. He's the guy and he will assist in the growth of Jalen Adams. He's our best shooter and his experience will be welcomed as the year progresses. Anyone who has hung him out to dry already is fair-weather to me - he's been playing a long time. Let's not go on a couple bad games. We sound like too many other's teams fans.

2) Jalen will be great. He will eventually be consistent but is not now, not close as proven. He was excelelnt that last 8-10 minutes yesterday that's a great start and hopefully the beginning of his growth spurt.

3) KO needs to get Sterling and Jalen more time together, they're our best playmakers and the only 2 who can play the point with the speed required and the ability required on the offensive end. I think Jalen in the game will help Gibbs and visa versi. For the most part I believe these 2 and Purvis should be the 3 in the rotation and at times in there together. Sam and Omar when needed for either foul trouble or to check to see if they can make some shots.

4) Miller is an excellent defender who has been tested on that end with touch fouls. He does seem to get lost but many times it's him trying to help out from other areas of concern, it's gonna happen because he's the smartest defender on the interior by far and will try to anticipate. Also need to get him involved in the offense more, especially against any man D's we see as he is explosive to the rim.

5) Everyone is in love with DHam as am I but he never gets hit with the "could be better" bug that is running rampant around here. He is still turning it over and making bad decisions more than he should. Yeah he has to try to do things but still, make smart plays. And his defense, not Gibbs, is the worst on the team. He's forever leaving his man to try to make a play. His almost triple-double stuff is great but many of you need to watch the game a bit more before you unload on so many others.

6) This is a good team and it only get better. The chemistry which we thought we saw ve the Mianes and UNH's is making its way in but takes time. Give it that.

Oh yeah and 17-20 at the FT line yesterday a positive note!

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
So I will begin by saying I don't know I'm right with any of these thoughts, except the one that will pertain to the BY in general:

1) Gibbs is a really good pick up. He was a few months ago and still is. He's the guy and he will assist in the growth of Jalen Adams. He's our best shooter and his experience will be welcomed as the year progresses. Anyone who has hung him out to dry already is fair-weather to me - he's been playing a long time. Let's not go on a couple bad games. We sound like too many other's teams fans.

2) Jalen will be great. He will eventually be consistent but is not now, not close as proven. He was excelelnt that last 8-10 minutes yesterday that's a great start and hopefully the beginning of his growth spurt.

3) KO needs to get Sterling and Jalen more time together, they're our best playmakers and the only 2 who can play the point with the speed required and the ability required on the offensive end. I think Jalen in the game will help Gibbs and visa versi. For the most part I believe these 2 and Purvis should be the 3 in the rotation and at times in there together. Sam and Omar when needed for either foul trouble or to check to see if they can make some shots.

4) Miller is an excellent defender who has been tested on that end with touch fouls. He does seem to get lost but many times it's him trying to help out from other areas of concern, it's gonna happen because he's the smartest defender on the interior by far and will try to anticipate. Also need to get him involved in the offense more, especially against any man D's we see as he is explosive to the rim.

5) Everyone is in love with DHam as am I but he never gets hit with the "could be better" bug that is running rampant around here. He is still turning it over and making bad decisions more than he should. Yeah he has to try to do things but still, make smart plays. And his defense, not Gibbs, is the worst on the team. He's forever leaving his man to try to make a play. His almost triple-double stuff is great but many of you need to watch the game a bit more before you unload on so many others.

6) This is a good team and it only get better. The chemistry which we thought we saw ve the Mianes and UNH's is making its way in but takes time. Give it that.

Oh yeah and 17-20 at the FT line yesterday a positive note!
Skimmed through. Agree with most of it except the part with Hamilton on offense. The only thing he needs to work on is spinning the other way in the lane or having another go to move. I can live with a bad play here or there from him. Also purvis needs to keep doing what he's doing by attacking the rim. He's Really the only one that can get to the rim and draw contact. If he's out there Gibbs or Adams have to be also to let him play off the ball and for them to spread the floor.

H

huskies2929

I agree with your thoughts in Dham. His defense needs work. His strength is on ball and that's still pretty bad. He needs to recognize he is not that quick laterally, cut out the move for the steal and just lock down on his man and help when needed. That being said, I can't complain too much. Our offense runs through him better than anyone else.

Miller's defensive IQ is absurd.

I agree with not giving up hope on Gibbs. Two bad games at a new school with new players. A guard struggles with new faces more because he's still learning the other players rhythm and high % spots. Hell learn the schemes and be back to his first-team BE self soon.

Jalen could be scary good in time. He has a solid head in his shoulders and o expect he'll start scoring, distributing more and he gets more comfortable in the offense. Scouting reports from hs said he was only an average defender. KO must be wearing off on him because he's better on that end. KOs defensive schemes are more complicated than his guard-oriented offense, so I am really impressed. He's got the athleticism and wingspan (6'6 on a 6'2 guard) to be a killer out there.

Reaction Score
Gibbs is a talented player who will help us with his shooting and ballhandling -- I can't even quantify the upgrade he is over Terrence Samuel -- but I don't see much of a pure PG/floor-general type leader in him.

Maybe it's not strictly necessary if we have Hamilton in the de facto point guard role, but I'm not sure this leadership-by-committee is going to get us through tough games in March.

The good news is we have a lot of time to iron that out. The bad news is these games early in the year arguably matter more than those in January/February.

Reaction Score
Good point on Miller. He sort of reminds me of Giffey early in his senior year when he was over-helping like crazy.

His defense on Wiltjer down the stretch was about as good as it gets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom