Thoughts on UConn MSU | The Boneyard

Thoughts on UConn MSU

Reaction Score
We never should've lost that game. We're a much better team than MSU but didn't bring it at all for first 24 minutes of game.

Sanogo is a beast but he's one of the biggest black holes I've ever seen. The ball goes in and it never comes out. Cole is everything for this team, we can't expect him to run everything all the time though. Starting to think Hurley needs to throw Diggins into the fire because Gaffney simply can't run the team. Going to have to give Diggins some real minutes in some of the easier games.

Tyrese played like a warrior, he forces it sometimes but I love the way he plays. Jackson made some boneheaded plays but loved his aggressiveness.

Akok a total no show, not good. Polley did what he does when his shot isn't falling, went into his shell.

Last game took too much out of us mentally and physically and not having Whaley was huge.

Game never should've come down to it the way it did. We still have no idea how to close games and the refs took over. At least 3 horrible calls against us near the end.

This one hurts because we're a much better team than MSU if we're at full strength and just playing our game. We're really good but this was a really bad game from us. Bounce back tomorrow.

Reaction Score
Agreed about Gaff. Had hoped Gaff and Akok would take major steps forward this year. And they certainly might. But in these two games against high level competition, Gaffney and Akok seemed limited.

Yes, I'd like to see spot duty -- maybe a few minutes here or there for Diggins. We cannot expect the season to be injury-free. Looks like Hurley will run Jackson as the Point Guard if necessary. He looked pretty good today.

Very frustrated with this game. UConn was up 55-48!

Reaction Score
Akok is a total non-factor, which isn't surprising. This is what I expected all offseason but I did start getting my hopes up with the flashes he showed early

Reaction Score
Late in the game Hurley appeared distracted by the Cole foul call.

We could have tied the game (3 pointer) if we could run a play for Polley or Hawkins (who wasn't on the floor). I wonder if Hurley had remained focused he would have put Hawkins in for the final play.

Reaction Score

We could have tied the game (3 pointer) if we could run a play for Polley or Hawkins (who wasn't on the floor). I wonder if Hurley had remained focused he would have put Hawkins in for the final play.
Geezus, Hawkins wasn't even on the floor? Didn't even notice that. Hurley was distracted by the refs and Cole fouling out at the end of the game. Late game situations remain a huge problem for us.

Reaction Score
Love him, but Tyrese made both the best play of the game with block and dunk, and the worst play of the game with the handover pass with 50 seconds left and needing a bucket. It sealed the win for MS.

Reaction Score

With Cole out that shot should have been Polley or Hawkins. Poor coaching and execution.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
I'm starting to realize that Akok is likely never going to be what he was before his injury, and that's ok. I'm disappointed Polley didn't get any open looks. That could have changed the game. Gaffney is strong but not particularly smooth.

Hawkins and Polley need to play more going forward. Cole, Martin, Jackson, and Sanogo are a great core but we need the aforementioned two to be hitting threes. I feel that Whaley has regressed a little but he is a glue guy so he is important.

I honestly don't think Johnson is ready. I do think we should give Diggins some play as opposed to Gaffney.

Reaction Score
The play was drawn up for Polley but he couldn't get open
Watch it again, there was no play drawn up for Polley. There was no play, Polley just stood out way off on the perimeter with no screens being set for him. We didn't even have the proper lineup on the court.

Watch "UConn vs Michigan State | Full Match Highlights | College Basketball Season 2021/22" on YouTube

Reaction Score

Agreed. Personally, I would’ve passed it to one of the stallions to the rim for a quick two and then force them to put two back on the scoreboard via the foul line.

Reaction Score
Agreed. Personally, I would’ve passed it to one of the stallions to the rim for a quick two and then force them to put two back on the scoreboard via the foul line.
That's textbook, unless you have an open look from 3.

Reaction Score
Disappointing loss. Have to stop squandering leads late in the game. Overall just a poor game for us. Hope we run VCU out of the gym tmr.

Reaction Score
My biggest takeaway is that Gaffney is not the #2 guy. When Cole went out he was head down. Missed a number of open passes to Hawkins, Polley and others.

Reaction Score
About gaff being able to lead us to the final 4 next year if Cole doesn’t come back…

Reaction Score
UConn 3pt attempts:
Cole 2-2
Rest of team 0-14
To me, feels like tired legs from previous 2OT game. I get they are young and bounce back quickly but it seems like the obvious explanation.
As horribly as they played for a lot of the game the game was still there's and they found ways to lose at the end. It's a recurring theme and should no longer be happening with how good they are. This is a veteran team and closing out games should no longer be like pulling teeth...

If you notice the announcers never even talked about MSU the whole game, it was all about how talented UConn is and how this is a team that will be there late into March. Yesterday's game should have been a comfortable win and today they should've won fairly comfortably once they finally grabbed control of the game.

Reaction Score
Akok is a total non-factor, which isn't surprising. This is what I expected all offseason but I did start getting my hopes up with the flashes he showed early
Akok does not have the body to bang with these guys. We have to admit that.

Reaction Score
About gaff being able to lead us to the final 4 next year if Cole doesn’t come back…
I think it's pretty clear he's coming back. Hurley's not going to go into a season with all that talent and only Diggins to run the point.

Reaction Score
The play was a quick 2. Gaffney was going to try to exploit a switch to get to the rim, hope for a 2, makeup foul call or kick for a wide open 3. It wasn't there and he panicked

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
- as bad as those calls were, and they were awful, they lost this game getting dominated on the glass and on the 50/50 balls for 3/4 of the game. Just totally outworked

- way too much sanogo touched outside the post. It’s a waste

- Jackson turned the ball over too much in some opportune times, the Martin turnover at the end was also egregiously bad.

- lack of 3pt shooting didn’t help

- the bench gave little after a 2OT game

- the end of clock management was bad. At the half, sanogo dribbling out a shot clock, and what ever that was at the end of the game.

- they should’ve buried this team based on talent

Reaction Score
Agreed about Gaff. Had hoped Gaff and Akok would take major steps forward this year. And they certainly might. But in these two games against high level competition, Gaffney and Akok seemed limited.

Yes, I'd like to see spot duty -- maybe a few minutes here or there for Diggins. We cannot expect the season to be injury-free. Looks like Hurley will run Jackson as the Point Guard if necessary. He looked pretty good today.

Very frustrated with this game. UConn was up 55-48!
With less than 5 mins to go!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Simon

Top Bottom