Good crowd tonight, and I was happy with 3rd period effort. They could have folded but played well and had a chance. That said this season is very frustrating and basically over.
At this point I hope we can win a few games and build some momentum for next year.
- If Uconn was going to be good this year we needed very good goaltending. Outside of a few games it’s actually been bad overall and downright hideous at times. Tonight Huska was terrible and basically had us climbing uphill all game. In my opinion just let Vomacka play now.
- Our defenseman and play in our own zone is awful. We make too many soft plays and as a result turn it over far to frequently. Newpower had a good game tonight but has been bad overall. In fact only Karashik to my eye has played well consistently. Gendron has also been OK but after that it’s bad.
- Whoever made the decision that ishakov should not be on first PP unit needs to have their head examined.
- Ishakov makes some bad plays at times but his overall presence and playmaking ability far outweighs this and he should be getting maximum ice time.
- I don’t buy we are young theory. We played better early in the season. These freshman are older for the most part (compared to basketball freshman). We lost some games we never should have early and now we have fallen apart. That to me is on coaching.
- The fact that we draw a good crowd when we are a bad team makes me feel good, however the crowds have been diminishing and without wins any momentum built off last years results is diminishing quick.
- There have been discussions about facilities and recruiting etc lately but I would think anyone looking rationally at the situation would say playing in front of good crowds at XL is not a bad thing. If we could start winning the crowds will be significantly bigger consistently. I think you can sell the fact that you are playing in front of large crowds every game to potential recruits. So get on campus facilities straight for practice/training and play wherever. But get students to the games.
- Apparently tonight was the first game they offered buses to students. That should be offered every game. When I was a student I never had an issue hopping on a bus to see hoops at XL. Was it better at gampel, of course, but to me it was certainly not some huge obstacle to attend a game.