Thoughts on tomorrow night | The Boneyard

Thoughts on tomorrow night

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
You couldn't really ask for anything else - two blue bloods battling it out, on the biggest stage imaginable. A vast majority of the talking heads are picking against us, but remember, we know something they don't. On paper, it seems like we could be in trouble, but I like the match-up for us. It sounds insane, because they go three deep with bouncy, large NBA players in the front court, but Kentucky has weaknesses, they're just more subtle, and you have to dig a little bit deeper to find them. As somebody who has watched a dozen + Kentucky games this season, I'm quite familiar with them.

For starters, let's talk about Dakari Johnson. He's a terror on the backboards, and there isn't a big man in the country with a better combination of foot work, size, and touch. He's basically a poor man's Demarcus Cousins, and if he sticks around for another year, 17 and 10 isn't out of the question. Ever since Willy Cauley-Stein's injury pressed Johnson into duty, he's been averaging 11 points and 5 rebounds, and that's against front courts like Louisville's.

But, here's the thing: there's a reason he only played 14 minutes a game this season, and almost none of it has to do with his production offensively. On defense, he's a bit of a laboring wanderer who tires quickly, struggles defending the pick and roll, and is still learning the intricacies of D-1 defensive schemes. Against a back court tandem as explosive and razor-quick as ours, he's a candidate to be pried away at in open space by Napier and Boatright until Calipari has no choice to take him out of the game and resort to smaller lineup with Poythress at the four and Randle at the five.

Julius Randle isn't really all that different than Johnson, he's just a little bit better in every facet. He encountered similar struggles defensively earlier in the season that Johnson's experiencing now, and although he's improved on that end, he's still susceptible to breakdowns in rotations and vulnerable against quicker stretch fours (like DeAndre Daniels). Much like Johnson, he isn't the most nimble defending the pick and roll, and if Napier and Boatright were able to eviscerate Florida - the very best defense in the land - in the pick and roll, Kentucky has quite the predicament on their hands: switch ball screens and allow Randle and Johnson to drown on the perimeter, or swarm screens and risk Daniels and Giffey getting loose from three. Neither situation is particularly desirable for the young Cats, and if they attempt to drop their big man on the high screen - which is what most teams seem to be doing - good luck with that, it will be a pitch and catch drill.

Here's another secret about Kentucky that nobody ever seems to mention: they don't protect the rim very well. Dakari Johnson, although close to seven feet and highly skilled, is vertically challenged, as is reflected by the fact that he only averages 1.6 blocks per 40 minutes. Johnson is even worse, averaging 1.0 block per 40 minutes. Marcus Lee is an explosive, rangy athlete and capable rim-protector, but his minutes have been spotty at best. Napier, Boatright, and even Giffey should benefit from this (especially after playing Florida, a team that closes gaps as well as any I've seen), but Daniels is the guy who could really exploit this weakness. Look for Ollie to design a lot of isolation's where he clears out one side of the floor and allows Daniels to attack Randle.

All this being said, Kentucky still possesses a massive height and girth advantage over us at pretty much every position, and if Nolan and Brimah don't come to play, we could be in a lot of trouble. You also have to be aware of Poythress crashing the glass from the weak side - he's mastered that art as well as any player I can remember in college basketball. I'm guessing Ollie will defend Randle and Johnson in the post the same way he's been defending every dangerous big man - stick one defender on them and shade them with Napier and Boatright. If Randle gets off, we may have to adjust and respond with the hard double, but I don't anticipate that happening. If Randle has a weakness from a scoring perspective, it's that he occasionally struggles to score over length. It's possible he could just overpower the initial defender, but if the help arrives quick enough, we may be able to force a low-percentage shot.

UConn's biggest advantage, of course, is in the back court. For anybody who still struggles to differentiate between the Harrison twins (and it took me until about mid-March), Andrew is the point guard, Aaron is the shooting guard. Aaron Harrison had had a very good point guard, and has hit an absurd three consecutive game winning threes. He's still only about a 42% shooter in the tournament, and he can be a little bit lackadaisical defensively, but he's definitely the better of the two twins. Andrew, on the other hand, just isn't a tremendously good player at this juncture. He shot just 37% from the field during the regular season (a performance he's replicated in the tournament), and he's averaging 4 turnovers a game since Kentucky's tournament opener against Kansas State.

Andrew Harrison's favorite move on offense is to barrel into traffic, toss up a shot, and hope for a bail-out foul call. In fact, Kentucky, as a team, has the tendency to storm into the lane and rely on their athleticism to bail them out. Against UConn's heavily-layered defense, and shot blockers, the ball is going to have to move, or else they'll struggle. Harrison, though, is particularly prone to playing out of control, and he's been especially loose with the ball in this tournament, accounting for 20 turnovers in five games. When you're struggling with ball control and decision making, Boatright's probably the last guard on the planet you want to be seeing. Clearly, UConn will duplicate their game plan against Florida - Boatright will hound Andrew Harrison, and Napier will remain glued to Aaron for the entirety of the game like he did against Frazier.

The height discrepancy in the back court is really of very little concern to me. I agree with those who have been saying that we tend to play better against bigger back courts (like Memphis) than smaller back courts (Louisville). There is a very pronounced quickness advantage at play here, and although Kentucky obviously has an edge in the post, I suspect Boatright and Napier will make entry passes exceptionally difficult with their relentless pressure. Aside from a brief and very disastrous Tyler Olander (I love the kid, but he's just vastly over-matched against guys like Young, not sure why Ollie even put him in that situation) cameo on Saturday, we really did a very good job of keeping Young in check and forcing him to catch it far away from the basket. If we can deny Young deep post position - who could start at left tackle in the NFL - there is no reason we can't have similar success keeping Randle at bay.

On the wing, I would expect Giffey/Kromah and Young/Poythress to play to close to a standstill. Giffey has been struggling badly with his shot lately (his attempts Saturday weren't even close), but there is no better time for him to rediscover it given the open looks that could be available against the Wildcat defense. I trust he and Kromah will both be able to contain James Young and Alex Poythress.

Don't take any of this to mean I think UConn is significantly better than Kentucky. Kentucky just beat Wichita State, Louisville, Michigan, and Wisconsin, four of the very best teams in the country. They are legitimate, and they are going to make us earn it. They had every opportunity to fold in each of their previous four games, and they just kept going. In terms of mental toughness, you won't find a team better, so don't buy into the narrative that freshman can't handle the big lights. Whatever happens, this season has been a blast, and although it sucks it has to come to an end, it would be a hell of a lot nicer to close things up on a win.

Reaction Score
Man I can't sleep thinking about Deandre giving randle the business on the hi post.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I have a hard time looking at Kentucky as the sum of its parts because at times they just look like a really good pickup team. They burn a lot of possessions without getting a good shot. If Boat and Bazz can just slow the Harrisons down enough to where they are starting the offense 10-15 seconds into the shot clock, it will cause big problems. Kentucky does not get a lot of assists, with the Wichita State game being the only game this tournament where they registered more than 9. Kentucky depends a lot on one-on-one play, which makes them very susceptible to double teams, and the OP pointed out. Kentucky does not shoot great from outside, so packing it in on Randle and the penetration is really the obvious choice on defense.

On defense they are big and physical. UConn needs some transition baskets to take advantage of our speed, and then, like the OP said, attack the basket to force help, eventually kicking out as Kentucky has to overcompensate.

I think the boards are going to be key. UConn will need better rebounding out of the center position than we saw against Florida. Daniels, Giffey and Bazz can not hold their own on the boards against a team this big by themselves. I don't expect UConn to outrebound Kentucky, but the Huskies have to keep it close.

Reaction Score
I see a Kentucky implosion. I see our guards completely controlling the game, exposing the Harrison twins, keeping them in front the entire game and not allowing them to drive. I see our help side defense being in perfect poistion as it has been the last two games. I see Kentucky going 2-15 from 3 pt range. I see Julius Randle getting two frustration fouls in the first 10 mins of the game. Sadly, I see Tyler Orlander picking up 3 fouls in 100 seconds. Finally, I see a UConn win going away. 73-60. I see a McMurphy tweet saying a nice win for a mid major. I see Doyel writing an arcticle that Kentucky picked a bad time to play its worst game and I see Goodman saying how Providence has turned down Jim Calhoun.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
It seems Kentucky's calling card is their offensive rebounding. We have to limit that while staying out of foul trouble (as others have mentioned).

I feel good about tonight. Not to take anything away from Kentucky as they are great, I just think our guys have worked for this moment for two full seasons under Ollie and our determination and poise gets us this W.

Reaction Score
If UConn is anywhere near even on the boards tonight I think we win this game. UK game is all about getting on the boards that is where they beat there last couple of opponents, limiting them to one shot is key. All the talk about the size of the Harrison as an advantage on the surface makes sense, but I think that puts them at a disadvantage against our guards, Bazz and Boat love to slap at the ball and them being smaller will make it easy because the dribble does have to come up higher on the bigger guys plus the Harrisons are not true point guards. If you turn them over that helps on the boards as they can't shoot if they don't have the ball.

I think though tonight is gonna be about a guy that we all know about but because he has not been hitting lately UK will forget about, they will be keyed on Bazz and DeAndre but Neils I think is gonna have a big night. He is 0-forever since hitting that big 3 against Iowa St late. I think tonight he is going to have lots of open looks tonight and I think that tonight is the night they are going to start falling. One last key AB and Phil need to stay on the floor they might not have the girth to bang all night down low but they have the length and athleticism that could frustrate UK. Basically we need AB and Phil to do what Jake and Souley did to Elton Brand in 1999 just frustrate the hell out of them down low.

patrick

Hurley4#6
Reaction Score
I think though tonight is gonna be about a guy that we all know about but because he has not been hitting lately UK will forget about, they will be keyed on Bazz and DeAndre but Neils I think is gonna have a big night. He is 0-forever since hitting that big 3 against Iowa St late. I think tonight he is going to have lots of open looks tonight and I think that tonight is the night they are going to start falling.

THIS:

SHOOTERS KEEP SHOOTING!!!!!

Reaction Score
We need the D by our guards to be every bit as good as it was versus MSU and FLA. Need to disrupt their guards trying to get the ball down low.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
Thanks for this analysis and all the others you sent along over the year, especially during the tournament. I cannot disagree with anything you've said, lets hope we can duplicate the defense we had against Florida.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom