Thoughts on the state of the program | The Boneyard

Thoughts on the state of the program

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
howdy fellas,

I was reflecting on the program and thinking about ollie succeeding calhoun. We will never have another Calhoun. It is awfully reminiscent of my steelers when mike tomlin took cowhers roster and won the big dance. Nothing against ollie, he was masterful. But we have a new regime now and i like it. My only worry is the conference we are in. Any insight on the potential to switch? I think Hurley is the real deal but being in the AAC will not bode well long term. Maybe one of yall knows a stud QB that could put the football team back on track and thus propel us to where we need to be. Just my thoughts.

Reaction Score
The conference does not seem to be as much of a negative as some believe it to be. The staff is very strong from top to bottom and recruiting looks very strong. No reason to believe that UConn wont be back to being ranked regularly and an NCAA caliber team within a season or two. Personally, I think a 20 win season would be a great start, followed by an NCAA tourney run next season. Just my opinion, but I think its a realistic view.

Reaction Score
Conference affiliation in basketball appears to have a less of an impact on basketball than on football, in part due to the fewer football games. The primary impact seems to be at Selection time in that an average P5 team would be selected before a good, but, not great non P5 team. I also see a greater impact on the non-revenue/Olympic teams for schools outside of the P5 programs due to less funding available.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
We are in the AAC. That is not going to change anytime soon.

We have a coach who is experienced, a plan for recruiting and a game plan for the floor. Way too early to tell if Hurley could be the next Calhoun.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
Masterful is also one of the first words I would use to describe Kevin Ollie's tenure here.

Reaction Score
strange post for someone who's been here for over a couple years

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
The conference does not seem to be as much of a negative as some believe it to be. The staff is very strong from top to bottom and recruiting looks very strong. No reason to believe that UConn wont be back to being ranked regularly and an NCAA caliber team within a season or two. Personally, I think a 20 win season would be a great start, followed by an NCAA tourney run next season. Just my opinion, but I think its a realistic view.

Honestly, the thing I'm most concerned about is keeping this staff together for 4+ years. They are really, really good. But Both Kimani and Kenya will have HC opportunities in the coming years. I know Kimani is interested in pursuing that; don't know about Kenya.

Yes, I know I'm getting ahead of myself here, it's just that building UCONN backup is going to take time and serious effort. It's not going to happen in a year or two (in terms of how the country/recruits view us unilaterally).

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Ok, I take it back but "masterful"?

Yeah that was bad. I choose to believe he left out the "in his first 2 years" piece of the thought.

Although, if you are feeling extra generous, the rest of his time was masterfully bad.

Reaction Score
Does anyone else get even the slightest feeling that if Hurley does do well (which I 100% think he can be more than competent, especially over masterful KO) that some schools could come calling and try and lure him away? I just hate the thought of having a few good years of solid seasons + tournament wins turnaround and suddenly he's jumping ship.

Reaction Score
Masterful... lol

That said, the AAC has proven to be a good all-sports league (football, basketball, and baseball) and trending up.
Currently 3 undefeated teams in FB.. the #4 RPI baseball.. and finished with 3 Top 25 ranked teams in basketball last year, with a down UConn and Memphis. Now that UConn and Memphis are recruiting blue chips, the conference is far surpassing the naysayers.

Reaction Score
Ostriches

Get a broader look. Kevin Ollie (if he never does anything going forward) is one of the weirdest stories of modern College Basketball. That arc ... from the 2014 run (and a darn good effort with the burden given him by the Calhoun problems) to our last two years. Where else in all the years since Bird v Magic, do you find a guy who pushes a well-constructed 8 man rotation through the 6 games winning March Madness. And then flatlines. So ... Masterful. But sheesh. What the hell was that?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
The conference is a problem largely from a revenue perspective. Not really from a competition perspective. Take for example, the Big East, the overall payout is similar, and the AAC should exceed the Big East payout in its next contract. On a competition level you have these programs. Take a look at recent performance and history in the modern 64 team era.

UConn Nova
Cincinnati Xavier
Wichita State Butler
Memphis Seton Hall
Houston Providence
Temple Georgetown
SMU Creighton
UCF Marquette
Tulsa St. Johns
Tulane DePaul

Now we also have ECU and USF and they suck. But aside from that, looking beyond the last two years, does anybody see any long term advantage for the Big East? I don't. There is some ancient history with Georgetown, Depaul, Marquette and St. Johns, but they have shown no real signs of return to that glory. I think the top 8 on the AAC side are better than the top 8 for the Big East. It's the bottom where they get better, but not by much.

Long story short, UConn is UConn, and can be as successful in this league as Nova has been in the NBE.

Reaction Score
Maybe one of yall knows a stud QB that could put the football team back on track and thus propel us to where we need to be. Just my thoughts.

This just makes me sick to my stomach. We missed out on a power conference because our football program is trash.

Reaction Score
Conference affiliation in basketball appears to have a less of an impact on basketball
It still has an impact, sometimes 1 to 2 seeds (or even more in extreme cases). I mean, no way Uconn deserved ONLY a 9 seed in 2016 when they had to play Colorado and then Kansas. Should have been a 7 seed at least. They were not on the bubble prior to the shot, contrary to popular belief.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom