Thoughts on the lack of assists? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Thoughts on the lack of assists?

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Except it wasn't the entire game. We scored about 10 points over 13 minutes to start the 2nd half while turning a 9-point lead into a 5-point deficit. The lack of adjustment almost cost us the game.

Fortunately, we finished the game strong and got some timely buckets and free throws.

But KO simply has to develop another option for when "go 1-on-1 off the dribble" isn't working.

Disagree. We were still getting what we wanted during the drought for the most part. We just didn’t finish. Vital and Whaley and Larrier missed at least 6 combined bunnies in that stretch. It’s one thing if you are getting stymied in the lane. Then you adjust. We weren’t getting stymied. We just missed a bunch of gimmes. I’m glad they stuck through it.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Disagree. We were still getting what we wanted during the drought for the most part. We just didn’t finish. Vital and Whaley and Larrier missed at least 6 combined bunnies in that stretch. It’s one thing if you are getting stymied in the lane. Then you adjust. We weren’t getting stymied. We just missed a bunch of gimmes. I’m glad they stuck through it.
They were missing the kinds of easy baskets that made me cringe; I was almost certain they were going to come back and bite us.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I think it was largely by design. We were getting to the hoop or getting fouled. No need to dish.

Especially with last night's refs, it was the right call.

Reaction Score
Thought the announcers were fair.

There were times when we moved the ball well got the defense out of position and then went isolation and had a lot of success. Then for early in the 2nd half there was a lot more zero passing, just crash into the lane and hope for the best. There's certainly room for improvement offensively

Reaction Score
I don't think I've ever seen a Uconn game like that, it was kind of a weird night.

Reaction Score
We had them in foul trouble almost the entire game. Refs were calling a tight game, gotta figure Ollie wanted our guards to penetrate hard to the rim and look for those fouls. Will inevitably result in few assists but gotta work with what the game gives you.

Reaction Score
The positive about the low assists is that you (or at least I) can remember the important ones:

1. Vital assist to Larrier for the 3 to tie
2. AG's assist to Anderson for the 'dagger' dunk (that was the best!)

That was all that matters to me.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I don't think I've ever seen a Uconn game like that, it was kind of a weird night.
That makes two of us, sort of.

I streamed the top-of-the-backboard view, thinking it was just some crappy ESPNU feed. I mentioned it in the game, but nobody replied, leaving me to think that you all saw it that way. Comments about the announcers made no sense because there was NO announcement, just the ambient sound of the arena.

I had no idea that such a view was a thing. And I don't like it recommend it. But I can attest that odd spins on missed free throws were noticeable (as well as annoying).

Love that there's another game in less than 6 hours.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I 've discussed this with others in other threads
1. Nobody on UConn (or OU) were consistent in their outside shooting and after missing a few the UConn players became gun shy
2. No big guys were looking for a shot inside or gaining position to take a pass for a shot - they were concentrating on rebounding
3. Oregon guards were very slow of foot - UConn had them crazy trying to keep up and when they did Oregon fouled

It was a great strategy by KO and company. If UConn converted on a majority of the drives - it would have been a 20-30 pt win
Besides I don't think OU had 10 assists so there wasn't much sharing overall - strange game but GREAT outcome

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score

Exactly this. That’s not to say there weren’t some poorly executed sets where our guards had to launch an NBA three at the end of the shot clock (I remember two from Anderson) but I saw a lot better movement without the ball - and Ollie having the guards take advantage of mismatches off the dribble.

Reaction Score
The positive about the low assists is that you (or at least I) can remember the important ones:

1. Vital assist to Larrier for the 3 to tie
2. AG's assist to Anderson for the 'dagger' dunk (that was the best!)

That was all that matters to me.

Re: #2 I wanted to watch the game again to see if there were enough off-ball cutters coming with the penetration exactly as Anderson did on that play. Ideally that is a wing move and not a guard to get putback dunks/o rebounds/ alley oops. That will give a higher % shot than the kick out where we shoot -1000% from 3.

When only 4 guards are on the floor it turns into a guard responsibility I guess.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
We're playing Adams off the ball too much. That's a big part of it. Then again, last night's game was so lane driving-centric that nobody was going to rack up too many assists.

Reaction Score
Far too much 1 on 1, 2, 3,. On that steal Vital spun himself into a turnover.

Reaction Score
Exactly.

One of the dumbest coaching decisions I’ve seen.

I’ve got a potential All American pg as a junior, let’s hand the keys to a freshman. Kemba wasnt given the keys to the car over Price, Napier wasn’t handed the keys to the car over Kemba, and Boat wasn’t handed the keys to the car over Napier.

You send Adams two messages that way.

1. Adams needs to adjust to Gilbert and Larrier.

Again, stupid. In terms of pack order, Adams should be number 1. Larrier and Gilbert need to adjust to him.

2. Adams is just out there to score. This limits Adams and it limits the offense.

An immediate change from Gil to Adams would significantly benefit the offense. Not sure what Ollie thinks he’s doing.

Reaction Score
Exactly
An immediate change from Gil to Adams would significantly benefit the offense. Not sure what Ollie thinks he’s doing.

Have to agree. Adams should see more time starting the offense.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom