Thoughts on the game | The Boneyard

Thoughts on the game

Status
Not open for further replies.

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
- UConn deserved to win. We did a great job containing their stud backs. Graham's running style was a good match-up for our fast linebackers and Shell tripped up on his own a couple of times. We moved the ball well on the ground and through the air and the OL played its best game in a long time

- Pitt isn't talented at all. Apart from their defensive backfield and their RB's, they were terrible. Donald is their only capable DL, their linebackers were the worst we have seen since the NCSU game, and they have less prop-level talent than we do according to NFLdraft.com. This is a game UConn should win, and I don't give too much credit to the staff for beating a less talented team than us at home.

- Loved the play action call that got picked off by Pitt's safety. Loved it. UConn would have gone up 31-10 and coasted to a victory. The odds of Whitmer missing a throw that badly, considering how well he played thoughout the rest of the game, were no worse than Chad missing another chip shot field goal.

- The same players on defense get abused wekk in and week out. Our defense consists of either really talented players who may play on Sunday, or MAC caliber players. The safties were beat all day.

- Hated the prevent defense in the second half. Pitt's OL is awful at picking up the blitz and our DE's do not get a pass rush. Blitz Sunseri to death.

- I like Whitmer, and this is the best set of receivers we have ever had (not saying much). If only we had a running game to open up the play action pass...

-Pitt was too conservative in the first half. They pressed more in the second half and while we got some big plays off it (Phillip's catch to seal the game, McCombs big run) they still played much better when they got more aggressive.

- Why don't we audible? Pitt wasn't exactly subtle with their blitzes. On one play, we had a long developing pass play drawn up and Pitt stacked the box with 8 players; an obvious sellout blitz. Whitmer changed the protection scheme but didn't change the play. The result? An 8 yard loss.

- We did a great job avoiding penalties. To have a shot the next two weeks, we need to continue this trend.

We are 4-6 and haven't played a single good team this year. Pitt and a healthy Maryland team were the only two passable teams we've beaten, and neither are going bowling (nor are they more talented than us). Western Michigan is abysmal and is losing to Buffalo as I speak (with a healthy Carder). NCSU and Syracuse are average. USF sucks. Temple sucks. Rutgers has beaten no one all year and has struggled against some bad teams. With the adequate talent on this team, we should be bowl eligible already. We are not. I don't support Pasqualoni and don't think he should be given a third year. I do give him credit for a well-coached game yesterday though.

Reaction Score
I liked the pass call too. Every single poster that is bitching about the pass would have crucified GDL as being too conservative and predictable if we'd run and missed an easy field goal. Coaches need to have some faith in their players. None of us like the coaching staff, but I really don't see the point in starting a new "fire the coaches" thread after every game. Some people would just rather complain than enjoy the victory which is pretty puzzling to me.

Reaction Score
The problem is this: under Pasqualoni, even our wins feel like losses.

Rod Gilmore was exactly right about that interception. We're in the red zone, we should take our time and kill as much clock as possible, we get a touchdown great, but a field goal puts the game all but out of reach because there would have been about 3 minutes left.

RedSoloCup

2 golf tournaments...
Reaction Score
The problem is this: under Pasqualoni, even our wins feel like losses.

Rod Gilmore was exactly right about that interception. We're in the red zone, we should take our time and kill as much clock as possible, we get a touchdown great, but a field goal puts the game all but out of reach because there would have been about 3 minutes left.
And John Madden was explaining how the Pats shouldn't go for it... right at the beginning of their big run. I liked that we went for it because I am tired as heck of us being down, and want the guys to get some fire.

If the catch went, the sideline and bye weeks would have been on FIRE... As it is, we didn't lose, we should put it in the past like the rest of the season and move on.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I liked the pass call too. Every single poster that is bitching about the pass would have crucified GDL as being too conservative and predictable if we'd run and missed an easy field goal. Coaches need to have some faith in their players. None of us like the coaching staff, but I really don't see the point in starting a new "fire the coaches" thread after every game. Some people would just rather complain than enjoy the victory which is pretty puzzling to me.

I would have crucified the FG kicker if he misses a kick inside of 25 yards that would've put the team up by three scores with less than 5 minutes to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom