Thoughts on Starlink internet | The Boneyard

Thoughts on Starlink internet

QuickDraw

Hi Ho SILVER
Reaction Score
I was thinking of going with Starlink for our household internet, my questions would be if anyone has tried or uses it & what are your thoughts on it? is it worth the near $700 price tag for the purchase of the equipment? this is the biggest point of hesitation for me because you purchase the equipment which can be returned within 30 days but am unsure of return shipping fees. service is currently $110 month with no limits but they reserve the right to set limits in the future.

Reaction Score
I was thinking of going with Starlink for our household internet, my questions would be if anyone has tried or uses it & what are your thoughts on it? is it worth the near $700 price tag for the purchase of the equipment? this is the biggest point of hesitation for me because you purchase the equipment which can be returned within 30 days but am unsure of return shipping fees. service is currently $110 month with no limits but they reserve the right to set limits in the future.
Out of curiosity, where do you live? It feels like a service/price tag that you only use if you have literally no other reasonable option. I would imagine anyone in at least a reasonably populated area would have access to faster and more reliable internet at cheaper prices. If you're in a very rural area, I could imagine it being more enticing.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
I’m just generally curious if anyone has used Starlink and what their experience has been

QuickDraw

Hi Ho SILVER
Reaction Score
I live in Harwinton. Where my home is located phone lines are to old to carry even DSL and the cable is about a 1/4 mile away which would need to be trenched, cable run with direct burial being the cheapest but not my preferred method compare to laying conduit which adds a significant cost increase, and according to Charter they will also need to amplify the signal which will require a larger dog house for the equipment at the street which will increase the cost and they only cover the first $1,500.and the rest falls to me which leads to me to believe starlink might be the most cost effective for my circumstance where as cable could run me thousands. We have been getting by with mobile hot spot for years now but it is very limited as you could imagine.

QuickDraw

Hi Ho SILVER
Reaction Score
Out of curiosity, where do you live? It feels like a service/price tag that you only use if you have literally no other reasonable option. I would imagine anyone in at least a reasonably populated area would have access to faster and more reliable internet at cheaper prices. If you're in a very rural area, I could imagine it being more enticing.
Above post is my reply. oops

Reaction Score
I have Starlink, have had it for about 9 months now. I live about 9 miles away from the closest ISP (comcast here). Prior to this, nothing other than HughesNet was available with a ridiculous data cap. Cell service is a no-go here as well, at least until the leaves fall. Starlink has been awesome, we pay 110 a month and set up was 500 at the time. High speed for what we need, able to watch UConn, football, do the Peloton and make phone calls/send messages. Latency is pretty good, dropouts dont last more than a minute or two and with good positioning is not an issue. Works great in the snow because of the pre-heat function, the only issue is heavy downpour the signal gets spotty.
Also, if they do set a data cap its rumored to be around 1 TB, which wont be an issue for 99.99% of people

QuickDraw

Hi Ho SILVER
Reaction Score
I have Starlink, have had it for about 9 months now. I live about 9 miles away from the closest ISP (comcast here). Prior to this, nothing other than HughesNet was available with a ridiculous data cap. Cell service is a no-go here as well, at least until the leaves fall. Starlink has been awesome, we pay 110 a month and set up was 500 at the time. High speed for what we need, able to watch UConn, football, do the Peloton and make phone calls/send messages. Latency is pretty good, dropouts dont last more than a minute or two and with good positioning is not an issue. Works great in the snow because of the pre-heat function, the only issue is heavy downpour the signal gets spotty.
Also, if they do set a data cap its rumored to be around 1 TB, which wont be an issue for 99.99% of people
I pulled the trigger and decided to do it, $690.22 total for the equipment & they say up to 2 weeks for delivery, but I'm betting on sooner. We got rid of Dish a couple of months ago so I will need to stream the games for sure.
I appreciate your input.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
had hughes a while back at another locale. im generally patient and don't expect too much, but hughes was just too wonky, all the time.
im sure that they'll be better as time goes on. the fiber finally came to that place, so no more need for the sky.

elon rules.
monday (sunday?) last, here in Connecticut, we watched him, from the porch looking south with binocs, deploy 52 more starlink sats. kinda fired out in staccato fashion. how cool was that? (prolly shown on some local news stations).
he sent to Ukraine, the moment the war started, a complete starter kit for starlink --instant success! russians got their minds blown, and had no answers. prolly saved kiev at that time.
the number of folks i know now using starlink steadily grows.
great choice. always bet on elon's stuff -the panels, the rockets, the cars, and now the sats. his stuff works, even when pioneering.
no brainer.

we're just in the 'car phone' stage for this sat stuff. cf. 'Sky Force.'

Reaction Score
I recently worked with a tech support guy who said he lived in the Northern part of Minnesota. He doesn't have access to fiber up there, got Starlink, and raved about it. Says it basically enabled him to continue working remotely, so it was definitely worth it to him.

Reaction Score
I live in Harwinton. Where my home is located phone lines are to old to carry even DSL and the cable is about a 1/4 mile away which would need to be trenched, cable run with direct burial being the cheapest but not my preferred method compare to laying conduit which adds a significant cost increase, and according to Charter they will also need to amplify the signal which will require a larger dog house for the equipment at the street which will increase the cost and they only cover the first $1,500.and the rest falls to me which leads to me to believe starlink might be the most cost effective for my circumstance where as cable could run me thousands. We have been getting by with mobile hot spot for years now but it is very limited as you could imagine.
Dude, move.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
I think it’s a great concept but too expensive. The future of all internet is satellite. That’s why you see spectrum going all in on cellular. They’ve fixed the upload speed issues.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
Harwinton
8eecf446485805aeae837e86733c694al-m1321582443od-w480_h360_x2.jpg

not Harwinton
7V7CZUASJVGPDPDK2GPOF2DBYA.jpg

Reaction Score
Once we have access to it we’ll get starlink - why we don’t i have access i no idea.

We run 5 wifi hotspots here which is 150 gb, but sometimes we blow past that limit and pay more. But we changed plans and are now only paying $300 a month for cell and the hotspots - we used to get cell bills of $1600 which is criminal.

They promised to run the cable four years ago as part of build out NY, but that was another false promise from spectrum.

QuickDraw

Hi Ho SILVER
Reaction Score
Once we have access to it we’ll get starlink - why we don’t i have access i no idea.

We run 5 wifi hotspots here which is 150 gb, but sometimes we blow past that limit and pay more. But we changed plans and are now only paying $300 a month for cell and the hotspots - we used to get cell bills of $1600 which is criminal.

They promised to run the cable four years ago as part of build out NY, but that was another false promise from spectrum.
We have an older Boost family plan 5 phones 35 gig data caps before getting throttled back to 2g & 30 gig of hotspot for $150 a month and 2 of my kids have 2 Cricket hotspots 100 gig hard cap for $55 x 2 a month so this should be a push without the need for the hotspots alone.
Got the shipping notification & should be here by Friday. I always enjoy having a new toy to play with on the weekend.

Reaction Score
This sums it up in a nut shell...
Folks pay good money to vacation in a place like I call home everyday.

Harwinton is awesome. My best friend lives right near the border in Burlington. I'm still waiting to pull the trigger on a house because I'm not quite sure where my career is going to put me in the state... but Harwinton is definitely on the list of places my wife and I have considered places to settle down.

But I don't think anyone is really paying good money to vacation in Harwinton.

Reaction Score
Harwinton is awesome. My best friend lives right near the border in Burlington. I'm still waiting to pull the trigger on a house because I'm not quite sure where my career is going to put me in the state... but Harwinton is definitely on the list of places my wife and I have considered places to settle down.

Hopefully your career doesn’t need home internet access!

I kid, I kid.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Hopefully your career doesn’t need home internet access!

I kid, I kid.
It’s a necessity for a lot of us. One of the reasons I switched to Fios is that it has vastly superior upload speeds to Xfinity. My Zoom and Teams call problems stopped.

The plan for some rural locations is 5G with a base that converts it to Wi-Fi.

QuickDraw

Hi Ho SILVER
Reaction Score

I agree with the money for vacationing in Harwinton but they'll do so for the solitude and natural beauty somewhere with more cache, I wasn't saying it was a vacation destination. lol, but my home is in the woods where there is not a road, power pole or other home in sight.

Reaction Score
I agree with the money for vacationing in Harwinton but they'll do so for the solitude and natural beauty somewhere with more cache, I wasn't saying it was a vacation destination. lol, but my home is in the woods where there is not a road, power pole or other home in sight.
I'm with you QuickDraw, I wouldn't trade living where I live for high-speed wired internet at all. Starlink has been a huge blessing. Also very fortunate not to need internet for work, but have no doubt that Starlink would suffice for almost all WFH jobs

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom