Thoughts on Sanogo’s minutes allocation? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Thoughts on Sanogo’s minutes allocation?

Reaction Score
I was surprised he didn't go in late in the 2nd half after Whaley picked up his 4th foul a few seconds after checking in for Carlton. Other than that I think his minutes have made sense. I'd like to see him play more and get experience but we have a crowded front court

Reaction Score
I just re-watched the first 5+ minutes before he got yanked. He kept his guy scoreless and off the offensive boards. He was maybe late once on help defense that resulted in a basket for DePaul but I wouldn't say I saw anything that bad about his defense. If he was benched to send a message about porous defense, I didn't see the evidence.
I thought he looked shaky the first 4-5 minutes last night. Like he was nervous or too hyped. Something was off. Then Carlton came in and played well and there wasn’t a big reason to go back to Sanogo. He’s a freshman and usually they’re up and down.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
The silver lining is we enough talent that these issues about court time are back.

Exactly. And when AA comes back in 2 weeks our "problem" gets worse. Can't wait.

F

FanMan

wasnt akok starting and almost leading the team in mpg last year before he got hurt?

even if he wasnt i'd similarly expect clingan to get ~10 mpg as a frosh when sanogo and brown are juniors. if the young bigs wanna avg 30 mpg outta the gate i guess they can go to cuse lol!
Imagine that...a hall of fame coach stating a frosh can start for them...now.. and you advocate for that frosh, which is highly recruited and loved by our staff and fans, to play for Cuse. You drunk???

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
to be honest i really thought he looked lost out there last night in the limited time he was on the court
i have high hopes for this young man and think he will be fine
probably had the yips starting and i think DH was sending a message but i think it was a too long of a message- why not stick him in there during the second half after porkchop fouled out?
DH does some of the strangest things with player rotations, time out management and overall game awareness/decisions. He has a lot to learn in these areas
nice win and i love the fact that Bouk showed a great deal of maturity in reigning in his game when his shot was not falling- showed that the team can be successful when he isn't scoring 40
the pg play scares the hell out of me- cole is not a pg and gaff is unwatchable
hopefully martin can play within himself and show us the same effort and results every game

Reaction Score
Players that don't get enough minutes often look elsewhere. Any concern, because he has a pretty good upside right?

Reaction Score
Players that don't get enough minutes often look elsewhere. Any concern, because he has a pretty good upside right?
I hear what you’re saying, but we are 5 games into the season, and 2 of those are against big east competition, in a season where freshman haven’t had the practice time to develop and be ready for game time. I would be worried if we were further along and/or it was a normal season with normal practice/bonding/culture building. I truly believe Sanogo will be fine and will continue to work hard and eventually will earn more minutes as the season progresses and he gets more comfortable.

Reaction Score
I have to assume that Hurley was sending him a message about his defense yesterday. He was clearly showing enough in practice to start

Expect him to get 15 mins a game going forward at least. If not? I'll be concerned about how well we are able to recruit talented bigs going forward. A top 75 big barely playing is a bad look.

it’s a COVID set back thing .. Hurley said that, it’ll all right size soon

Reaction Score
Imagine that...a hall of fame coach stating a frosh can start for them...now.. and you advocate for that frosh, which is highly recruited and loved by our staff and fans, to play for Cuse. You drunk???
Are you drunk? Tongue in cheek went right over your head there.

C

Chief00

I have to assume that Hurley was sending him a message about his defense yesterday. He was clearly showing enough in practice to start

Expect him to get 15 mins a game going forward at least. If not? I'll be concerned about how well we are able to recruit talented bigs going forward. A top 75 big barely playing is a bad look.
Chief agrees, it’s a bad look Adama not playing more. Coach him through whatever you need to but have him play 20 minutes a game.

C

Chief00

At least he was engaged on the bench. At one point when Josh made a big bucket and drew the foul, Sanogo was the first to stand up off the bench and go nuts for him. Gotta love that support rather than sulking about lack of minutes. I think Hurley has a word for that...starts with a C...
Chief believes he’s a very high character kid.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score

There are 200 minutes of playing time in a given regulation game and they are not divvied up in a vacuum. Sanogo and Carlton can really only play one position and it's the same one. Carlton was playing great and he'll be important for Big East play. It's equally important to keep his confidence up. I'd be more concerned about Springs and Brown.

Reaction Score
This doesn't seem like much of an issue. Josh is playing well. He's deserved the minutes. I'm not super worried about the image of a good recruit not playing enough. What does that potentially mean? Sanogo is not as good as the scouting services thought? Our program does not provide immediate growth opportunities for high recruits? I don't know, both concerns are a bit premature.

Maybe this thread will be valid next year. After Josh is gone. If Sanogo is still losing significant minutes to someone else.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Chief agrees, it’s a bad look Adama not playing more. Coach him through whatever you need to but have him play 20 minutes a game.
Name a successful coach who makes decisions like this based on "the look".

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom