Thoughts on Paige in the BET & the line-up come NCAA tourney time | The Boneyard

Thoughts on Paige in the BET & the line-up come NCAA tourney time

Reaction Score
So here’s the thing. Some people on here have pointed out that Paige hasn’t quite looked 100% in these BET games. I’d somewhat agree but I think it mostly has to do with conditioning and comfortability. What was most noticeable in the Marquette game to me was that she seemed to be half a step behind on defense (close-outs particularly) which probably looks alarming considering she was 1-2 steps ahead on defense to start the season. I think coming back from a knee injury, defense is likely gonna be the last thing to come around. It requires so much lateral movement and acceleration off of the knees so it’s gonna take some more time. But with Paige what you see in these games is how she’s slowly but surely adding back parts of her complete game. Passing against Providence, shooting against Georgetown. So I’m not worried as long as she continues to add back and refine the parts of her game that make her NPOY Paige.

Moving on to the line-up, I’m thinking that this starting lineup of Azzi, Nika, Christyn, Aaliyah & Olivia might just stay throughout at least the first few rounds of the tournament. I honestly have a hard time seeing Paige take anyone’s spot in that starting line-up unless she is able to get back to last season’s/early this season’s Paige. Even then, who does she replace? Probably Azzi or Nika. I don’t see Christyn or Olivia not starting because they’re senior leaders and consistent presences. Aaliyah has been in a solid groove lately and provides a much needed physical & rebounding presence. Thus, starting Paige would mean benching either Azzi or Nika. With Azzi not shooting well as of late, I could see it but she still provides a lot defensively and all-around. Plus, she seems to do better when she gets more time to settle into the game and then is primed for big 4th quarters. You could start the Paige-Azzi duo by having Nika come off the bench but she just sets the tone defensively so it’s hard to see that happening too.

Thoughts???

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
I don't think anything changes for tonight as far as the line-up.

After tonight, there are several days off. This will be the time to work out the line-up/ rotations for the tourney. I have no idea what will happen or what Paige's status will be. Her injury was serious. The fact that she is actually playing now is amazing to me. Geno said it's a matter of Paige becoming comfortable being Paige. Who knows when that happens.

Actually bringing Paige in off the bench is be a good thing as we have seen. She changes the game dynamic by being on the court. You can't assume she is not 100%. I also like the "line change" at around the 5 minute mark of the 1st quarter. Tough to plan for and defend.

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
I've been thinking that our substitution pattern is almost hockey like. Except the second line is arguably better offensively than the first line Paige/Dorka/CD/EW. Dorka has been one of my favorites for how disruptive she can be.

There isn't a let down in talent anytime during the game anymore.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
We'll have 10 or 11 days after tonight's game to gear up for Dance Game #1. Rusty?
Maybe...but so will the other team. I think this lengthy break will be of great help in getting players rested and in great shape for 6 games more....specifically all the kids who have missed considerable time this year. Hope to see
Aubrey in full roar behind the bench.

Reaction Score
I've heard this statement a few times lately (Paraphrased). It really doesn't matter who starts the game, it's who's out there when the game is close in the 4th quarter. Honestly, With our nine player rotation, I feel pretty good whoever is out there Starting or if in a close game with 2 minute's left!

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
You want your best players in the games that really count(and from now on, they do). From this point on, I want to see the best players, play together, as much as possible, IN A GAME, which is quite different than playing together in practice. Beginning next week, THERE IS NO TOMORROW!

Reaction Score
I think Geno has to be confident that Paige is Paige again before she starts in place of Nika.

The better question to ask is how did the senior day line up make it necessary for Paige to start versus Nika? That calculation may provide insights for what is to come.

Reaction Score
So here’s the thing. Some people on here have pointed out that Paige hasn’t quite looked 100% in these BET games. I’d somewhat agree but I think it mostly has to do with conditioning and comfortability. What was most noticeable in the Marquette game to me was that she seemed to be half a step behind on defense (close-outs particularly) which probably looks alarming considering she was 1-2 steps ahead on defense to start the season. I think coming back from a knee injury, defense is likely gonna be the last thing to come around. It requires so much lateral movement and acceleration off of the knees so it’s gonna take some more time. But with Paige what you see in these games is how she’s slowly but surely adding back parts of her complete game. Passing against Providence, shooting against Georgetown. So I’m not worried as long as she continues to add back and refine the parts of her game that make her NPOY Paige.

Moving on to the line-up, I’m thinking that this starting lineup of Azzi, Nika, Christyn, Aaliyah & Olivia might just stay throughout at least the first few rounds of the tournament. I honestly have a hard time seeing Paige take anyone’s spot in that starting line-up unless she is able to get back to last season’s/early this season’s Paige. Even then, who does she replace? Probably Azzi or Nika. I don’t see Christyn or Olivia not starting because they’re senior leaders and consistent presences. Aaliyah has been in a solid groove lately and provides a much needed physical & rebounding presence. Thus, starting Paige would mean benching either Azzi or Nika. With Azzi not shooting well as of late, I could see it but she still provides a lot defensively and all-around. Plus, she seems to do better when she gets more time to settle into the game and then is primed for big 4th quarters. You could start the Paige-Azzi duo by having Nika come off the bench but she just sets the tone defensively so it’s hard to see that happening too.

Thoughts???

Thoughts???
I agree with your thinking regarding Paige being a half-step “off” compared to what we saw before the injury. Saying this might generate criticism but, as of right now, it appears to be the case. But, but, but…there is every reason to be optimistic. There are so many sayings to do with time…give time time, one step at a time, etc. Patience.

Kat

Reaction Score
I'm expecting a repeat of Sunday's game as far as who starts and who comes off the bench but expect there will be a different approach in the NCAA tournament. Starting lineups will be adjusted to provide the best matchups with the opponent's stars. Ten days for the coaching staff to look at a lot of film

Reaction Score
When Paige is 100% and I assume that will be at least by the Sweet 16 round she will start in place of Nika. The best lineup will be Paige, Azzi, CW, Edwards, and Ono with Westbrok and Dorka coming off the bench. Nika will be in the rotation as well but to spell a wing/point guard. Nika has improved offensively this year but they still leave her open and against the top teams in the Tournament we will need to have offense at every position. I also think Dorka will be key in games against quality bigs where ONO has yet to prove herself.

Reaction Score
I've heard this statement a few times lately (Paraphrased). It really doesn't matter who starts the game, it's who's out there when the game is close in the 4th quarter. Honestly, With our nine player rotation, I feel pretty good whoever is out there Starting or if in a close game with 2 minute's left!
Who would your closing 5 be then? I’d go with Paige, Azzi, Caroline, Christyn, Liv

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Im not real concerned about who starts and finishes. That could change depending on the game. Our depth tonite is a huge factor with 2 games in a row and this being our third. We shouldnt get to tired and if we get a big lead you may see less of Paige as not to push her and have her injury reoccur . We can press and play and I expect everybody to play with alot of intensity and energy. If we're hitting our shots this could get very ugly.

Reaction Score
Who would your closing 5 be then? I’d go with Paige, Azzi, Caroline, Christyn, Liv
Assuming Paige is ready (she’s not now), she’s on the floor at crunch time. If there are 2 minutes and we’re down, I get Liv out and Dorka in. If CD gets her shot back, ok. If not Evina.

If we’re up, Liv, AE, NIKA, CW, PAIGE

Reaction Score
The five players playing the best (until Paige is 100% back to her old self then always Paige) at that point of time. But, assuring at the least one Big is playing ONO, Dorka or AE.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
I wouldn't worry about the way Paige has been playing. Right now, she seems to be doing some standing around with the ball at times, but that doesn't mean anything is wrong with her, it's the others that make it look like a problem. Paige is trying to fit into a team that she is unfamiliar with right now. She knows that she isn't the only option out there now, and all she's trying to do is get them involved, even though she is passing up shots for herself. Hopefully that will be ironed out next week during practice. Tennessee had this problem when Rae Burrell came back from injury. I hope this can be taken care of, because the increase of scoring options is making her less aggressive, something that makes her the player she is.

Reaction Score

Thoughts???
Interesting post. Thanks.

If Paige is even 75%, I think Geno will start her. She’s the best player on the team and serves as a kind of secondary coach on the court. As in previous years, it’s easy to overestimate UConn during conference play. Against tougher opponents Paige’s BB IQ is important.

Instead of wondering who Paige would replace in the lineup, I would start the lineup with Paige (assuming she’s healthy enough) and then choose the other four. Part of me would love to see Paige, Azzi, Caroline, Nika, and Aaliyah, a freshman/sophomore team, but I guess I would go with Paige, Azzi, Caroline (if she gets back to normal, otherwise Nika), CW, and Liv.

Reaction Score

Thoughts???
I think anyone impatient about Paige returning to form during BET is simply unrealistic and it is not clear when she will return to form. Besides, she is not needed that much to win BET. Against Marquette, it was the second consecutive day she played, even on limited minutes. She had days off before the Georgetown game. Tonight will be her 3rd game in 3 days....her minutes will continue to be limited and it is not clear which Paige will show up because these games have been daily affairs (she will show it with her frustrations if things are not working as well as she wants).

What will work for her in the Big Dance is the spacing of the games. 11 days to the start of Rd 1 games and a day break to Rd 2; then 5 days to start of Regionals, followed by another day break for regional final. Finally, another 5 days to SF and a day break to NC game.

It may not be until the Regionals when she starts and the regional final when her minutes go up, depending on need/opponent. The likelihood of her minutes going farther could certainly happen in the FF, if they get there (which I do believe they will; in fact, I think they will win #12 as I have maintained all along ever since Paige went down because it allowed accelerated growth of others and find the different roles).

Coach will be proceeding by feel this depending on Paige being Paige and the rest/recovery between games is an important ingredient in that.

Line ups? I sense there will be no set lineup. The current starting lineup is solid defensively and the Coach knows that defense and guard play wins NCs. He has six good guards to mix and match for good balance of offense and defense, and three good post players. The starting five only opens the game and with these 9, he feels free to mix and match depending on the opponent and the flow of the game. Sending them in waves, mixed and matched depending on the flow of the game will maintain the intensity on defense with essentially no drop off on offense most of the time.

For now, it appears he prefers to emphasize defense at the start of games, likely wanting to breakdown the opponent's confidence on offense. As long as that continues to succeed as it has, he is not likely to change it soon.

If he eventually starts Paige over Nika, I believe Azzi remains in the starting lineup with the rest and may assume Nika's role of "head of the snake" in defense - she is more solid physically than Paige and better conditioned at this time. OTOH, it may be Christyn who will assume that role - she is certainly capable. When will he do this? It will be after enough practice time for Paige has passed but my guess during the start of the regionals, no later. Remember, Geno has often said that the most important game in the tournament is the regional final.

Reaction Score
If UConn gets themselves in the position where they really need a basket, I can't see how you don't have Paige, Azzi, and CW on the floor. Then CD, Evina or Dorka, whoever has the hot hand. And Liv in the middle.

As much as I am the president of the local Nika fan club, I would not want her in the position of taking a life or death shot. To a lesser degree, the same with Edwards.

Reaction Score
I understand the fascination of putting Paige, Azzi, CW on the floor at the same time. There are two things to bear in mind: they as a group are not the best defenders and CW's best "chemistry" was developed with the available ones when she was inserted into the starting lineup. Paige, Azzi certainly were not available and even Nika wasn't most of that time. So, in this now fully healthy group, as mixing and matching continues, said "chemistry" has to be modified. Fortunately, they all seem to be bright kids with high BB IQs (all of 9, with some more than others). But they need to work it out.....maybe during the interval between BET to Big Dance start.

However, Coach will always balance it with their effectiveness on defense.....yeah, he is that kind of coach.

Reaction Score
I understand the fascination of putting Paige, Azzi, CW on the floor at the same time. There are two things to bear in mind: they as a group are not the best defenders and CW's best "chemistry" was developed with the available ones when she was inserted into the starting lineup. Paige, Azzi certainly were not available and even Nika wasn't most of that time. So, in this now fully healthy group, as mixing and matching continues, said "chemistry" has to be modified. Fortunately, they all seem to be bright kids with high BB IQs (all of 9, with some more than others). But they need to work it out.....maybe during the interval between BET to Big Dance start.

However, Coach will always balance it with their effectiveness on defense.....yeah, he is that kind of coach.
Yeah but my post was about really needing a basket, like in an end of game situation. Then forget match ups and defense and get your best shooters on the court and get the basket.

Reaction Score
Yeah but my post was about really needing a basket, like in an end of game situation. Then forget match ups and defense and get your best shooters on the court and get the basket.
I’m gonna have to go with Stef Curry.

Reaction Score
I don't think we should base our decision on who looked good against most Big East teams. The competition we have coming up in a totally different situation. I'll grant that Vilanova is a worthy opponent. I still think the optimal lineup is Page, Azzi, CW, Dorka and Liv. Let Caroline and who ever is left carry the offensive load when they are out but these players should all get at least 25 minutes.

Reaction Score
Assuming Paige is ready (she’s not now), she’s on the floor at crunch time. If there are 2 minutes and we’re down, I get Liv out and Dorka in. If CD gets her shot back, ok. If not Evina.

If we’re up, Liv, AE, NIKA, CW, PAIGE
You would leave out Azzi, UConn's best offensive weapon and a tremendous defender as well? Although her scoring is down of late, do you draw the correlation between the Azzi's presence on the floor and why the other guards are getting open and open access to the paint? Azzi is drawing out the defense and is invaluable to the team--which is affirmed by the fact she played almost the entire game in the BE championship...

Reaction Score

Good points, but disagree about Azzi: she is one of the best defenders UConn has--she was everywhere against Villanova and played great overall team defense and iso defense as well!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom