Thoughts on NCAA Transfer Waiver Requests - recent approval in NCAA MBB | The Boneyard

Thoughts on NCAA Transfer Waiver Requests - recent approval in NCAA MBB

Reaction Score
Heard about this waiver request for immediate eligibility for a Penn State to Iowa State NCAA MBB transfer being approved a short time ago... Iowa St. transfer Bolton granted '19-20 eligibility. The article does not provide any specifics on the reasons for the waiver or the NCAA's decision.... BUT I have to wonder...and I am assuming a big thing here... but if there is any consistency in NCAA decisions, could / should this give us some good expectations as to the outcome of the waiver request for Westbrook??

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Heard about this waiver request for immediate eligibility for a Penn State to Iowa State NCAA MBB transfer being approved a short time ago... Iowa St. transfer Bolton granted '19-20 eligibility. The article does not provide any specifics on the reasons for the waiver or the NCAA's decision.... BUT I have to wonder...and I am assuming a big thing here... but if there is any consistency in NCAA decisions, could / should this give us some good expectations as to the outcome of the waiver request for Westbrook??
No. From the article "The NCAA considered unspecified circumstances surrounding his transfer from the Nittany Lions." Without knowing what those "unspecified circumstances" are it would be impossible to predict how that is related to Westbrook's situation. This is exactly what the NCAA wants so it may continue to be a model of inconsistency & without accountability.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
No. From the article "The NCAA considered unspecified circumstances surrounding his transfer from the Nittany Lions. Without knowing what those "unspecified circumstances" are it would be impossible to predict how that is related to Westbrook's situation. This is exactly what the NCAA wants so it may continue to be a model of inconsistency & without accountability.
I am sure they wont release any or many of the reasons for a waiver to be decided. Past waivers were approved when coaching changes happened, or when t
No. From the article "The NCAA considered unspecified circumstances surrounding his transfer from the Nittany Lions. Without knowing what those "unspecified circumstances" are it would be impossible to predict how that is related to Westbrook's situation. This is exactly what the NCAA wants so it may continue to be a model of inconsistency & without accountability.
Concur ... i was hoping there may a thread of consistency in their processes... "unspecified reasons" are clearly intended to keep people from using other decisions as "precedent". Still holding out for a positive decision for Evina. ;):)

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

My source saw the NCAA reviewer check list and was able to get this partial picture:

1569510085267.png

Last edited:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Reading between the lines, when ISU thanks PSU for,“assisting in the process” we can assume that PSU did not object to whatever “unspecified reasons” were used to approve the waiver request. That is always a critical element in securing a waiver for immediate eligibility from the NCAA.

We can hope that TN does not object to Evina’s waiver request. That would certainly help. Then it’s up to the NCAA to determine in their own secretive way whether or not Evina’s waiver request is justified.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Reading between the lines, when ISU thanks PSU for,“assisting in the process” we can assume that PSU did not object to whatever “unspecified reasons” were used to approve the waiver request. That is always a critical element in securing a waiver for immediate eligibility from the NCAA.

We can hope that TN does not object to Evina’s waiver request. That would certainly help. Then it’s up to the NCAA to determine in their own secretive way whether or not Evina’s waiver request is justified.

I imagine if TN objects, it would not remain under the radar and that would set back the TN-UConn series so I have to think they will behave.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I imagine if TN objects, it would not remain under the radar and that would set back the TN-UConn series so I have to think they will behave.

Or what goes around comes around. Sounds like Tenn will strike out on 2020 recruiting. Harper may need a waiver granted sooner rather than later.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Or what goes around comes around. Sounds like Tenn will strike out on 2020 recruiting. Harper may need a waiver granted sooner rather than later.
My thoughts also. One additional consideration. If I’m KJH, trying to rebuild a once legendary program, the last thing I want to do is to get on Geno’s bad side, particularly when I’ve got to face the Huskies in a home & home series during my first two seasons at TN. Getting buried by 40+ pts by a program that sets the standard for WBB, is not a very effective way to return your program to national prominence.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
My thoughts also. One additional consideration. If I’m KJH, trying to rebuild a once legendary program, the last thing I want to do is to get on Geno’s bad side, particularly when I’ve got to face the Huskies in a home & home series during my first two seasons at TN. Getting buried by 40+ pts by a program that sets the standard for WBB, is not a very effective way to return your program to national prominence.

Either way, we will still bury them by 40+. ;)

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

That is so true. I never thought of THAT angle. Westbrook is gone. No need to cry over spilled milk. Do for her now what you will want someone to do for you later.

I never believed that TN would approve the waiver because of spite. If you look at things from THAT point of view, I'm not so sure. So I'll raise the level of hope on my "hope meter" just a bit. I don't want to be a damp rag here, but I don't think Westbrook's waiver will be approved. I'm usually positive, upbeat and optimistic about all things UConn, but I've got a bad feeling about this one. :confused:

Last edited:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
That is so true. I never thought of THAT angel. Westbrook is gone. No need to cry over spilled milk. Do for her now what you will want someone to do for you later.

I never believed that TN would approve the waiver because of spite. If you look at things from THAT point of view, I'm not so sure. So I'll raise the level of hope on my "hope meter" just a bit. I don't want to be a damp rag here, but I don't think Westbrook's waiver will be approved. I'm usually positive, upbeat and optimistic about all things UConn, but I've got a bad feeling about this one. :confused:
C’mon Carnac! If you’re not optimistic, what hope is there for the rest of us.... :(

Reaction Score
No. From the article "The NCAA considered unspecified circumstances surrounding his transfer from the Nittany Lions." Without knowing what those "unspecified circumstances" are it would be impossible to predict how that is related to Westbrook's situation. This is exactly what the NCAA wants so it may continue to be a model of inconsistency & without accountability.
You are never wrong so I won't argue the case with you. You are right that they may be considering different circumstances for Westbrook she did however leave a team because of some level of personal issues and a new coach.
Apparently the leaving coach has great sway on how this all works out. Kelli Jolly was a decent kid and decent kids usually become decent adults. As for the Tenn People, I have found them too decent. All that said, this Uconn Tenn thing along with the Geno/Pat thing as silly as it was even on the BY among some is a big issue. Life is too short for me to get tangle in a web of hatred for something I was not personally part of--time to bury the hatchet and animosity.
Play em, beat em and forget it. Or play em, get beaten and forget it. move on.

Reaction Score
You are never wrong so I won't argue the case with you. You are right that they may be considering different circumstances for Westbrook she did however leave a team because of some level of personal issues and a new coach.
Apparently the leaving coach has great sway on how this all works out. Kelli Jolly was a decent kid and decent kids usually become decent adults. As for the Tenn People, I have found them too decent. All that said, this Uconn Tenn thing along with the Geno/Pat thing as silly as it was even on the BY among some is a big issue. Life is too short for me to get tangle in a web of hatred for something I was not personally part of--time to bury the hatchet and animosity.
That is so true. I never thought of THAT angel. Westbrook is gone. No need to cry over spilled milk. Do for her now what you will want someone to do for you later.

@oldude ---You are the most optimistic. Carnac, nice guy as he is isn't always. I tend to believe that most of the people on the current Tenn team, while loving to drill uconn into the ground (as Uconn they) is no different than WE Uconn fans. Why play the game of frustration of your opponent that you must meet this year; that usually ends not well. What benefit to U Tenn for withholding waiver approval?
I meet and greet a lot of U Tenn folks a few times a year in Bristol or Knoxville I wear my Uconn T or Sweat and hat expecting tons of negatives and none ever comes. Some have discussed Marie Conlon with me they too loved her and the UTenn kids who played for Geno on the USA team--they loved Geno. Our differences are few our love of the game is the same.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Slight edit: "You are never seldom wrong..." Like many here I've become very cynical of the NCAA waiver approval process. Unlike many though I did not start my complaints when Jessica Shepard was allowed to suit up and play immediately for ND. I started in 2016 when Chatrice White left Illinois was immediately eligible at FSU, while her former teammate Brooke Kissinger had to sit a year when she transferred to Creighton.
Kellie Jolly is indeed a decent adult.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
@oldude ---You are the most optimistic. Carnac, nice guy as he is isn't always. I tend to believe that most of the people on the current Tenn team, while loving to drill uconn into the ground (as Uconn they) is no different than WE Uconn fans. Why play the game of frustration of your opponent that you must meet this year; that usually ends not well. What benefit to U Tenn for withholding waiver approval?
I meet and greet a lot of U Tenn folks a few times a year in Bristol or Knoxville I wear my Uconn T or Sweat and hat expecting tons of negatives and none ever comes. Some have discussed Marie Conlon with me they too loved her and the UTenn kids who played for Geno on the USA team--they loved Geno. Our differences are few our love of the game is the same.
Most optimistic BY poster is clearly a title that goes to TonyC.

Reaction Score

Without having any numbers to support it I'd guess that there is a strong correlation between approval and being represented by an attorney. That is just from comments I've read from various people in a position to know more than me.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom