Thoughts on Lou this season | The Boneyard

Thoughts on Lou this season

Reaction Score
So I was thinking about the season, especially after the high of ND and the near low with OU. We lost twice in the FF on last second shoots in OT. In those games I think many of us felt the biggest detriment was a clear leader taking over especially taking the big shot(s.) I think the fact we were right there in those games, even though being outplayed, we may be over stating the point but maybe not...

I believe, even with CW on the squad, the key is Lou. For all the griping on Lou last game, let's remember a few things:

1) She is finally healthy and her mobility, defense and rebounding is an obvious area of improvement because of it
2) Kia and Gabby seemed to own the leadership role the past 2 years so Lou (more than Pheesa) is really the one this year
3) She is still the focus of any team to ensure "do not let her beat us" and thus opens floor for rest of team and gets best defender (yes more than Pheesa, think about who ND talks about and had Young and Turner on...)
4) She will be the one to hit the big shot to win it. You can not count on the red sea opening for Pheesa to hit easy drive like OU. That will not happen in 4th against top opponent with true bigs. Pheesa will still be key and right there, so I am not saying she is not important or critical for our success.
5) For her shooting struggles she still was key in 2nd half of close games this year and key contributor for us to win.

19pts STJ / 6 ast in 1st half and 15pts in 2nd ND / Finished with 20pts 11rebs against OU / Her shooting consistency will be there.

In ND loss she had 16pts on 50% shooting and 7 rebs but only shot 12 times (Only Crystal Dangerfield had less shots in game by 1)
In MSST loss 15pts on 50% shooting and 5 rebs but only took 10 shots 3rd on team.

So my thought process on her taking many shots in some of these closer games is that she is learning the role of taking over as many of us have yearned for throughout the years. Just like any other skill set it takes game time to learn and get mentally comfortable and best she does it now before March. I think CW has that potential and one game does not make her that for the team yet. I still would want the senior with great passing skills, deadly shot and the experience in the spot. (Don't think Geno will?Remember he gave Saniya Chong the ball at end of MSST game.)

All this to say that I do not mind Lou's efficiency (FG% & 3PTFG%) numbers being down a little at this point of season because I think they will come up quite a bit, I like the other numbers (rebounds) trending up and want her to act like this is her team. Thoughts???

Reaction Score
To be honest, she looks tentative & slow to me. I think its the ankle. After surgery, the physical injury may be mostly healed, but the mental aspect is still there. Might not be until Spring until she "feels" confident & plays at 100%. Look at Gordon Hayward - he's nowhere near what he's capable of...but he's getting better.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
I agree with your analysis, even though her shot was off against OU she didn't get down on herself like she did over the past. She has upped her game to become the best all around player on the team. She is first in scoring, steals, and PF, second in assists and turnovers, and third in minutes played and blocks. Plus during the team huddle during court play stoppages she is almost always the one talking to other players.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
So I was thinking about the season, especially after the high of ND and the near low with OU. We lost twice in the FF on last second shoots in OT. In those games I think many of us felt the biggest detriment was a clear leader taking over especially taking the big shot(s.) I think the fact we were right there in those games, even though being outplayed, we may be over stating the point but maybe not...

I believe, even with CW on the squad, the key is Lou. For all the griping on Lou last game, let's remember a few things:

1) She is finally healthy and her mobility, defense and rebounding is an obvious area of improvement because of it
2) Kia and Gabby seemed to own the leadership role the past 2 years so Lou (more than Pheesa) is really the one this year
3) She is still the focus of any team to ensure "do not let her beat us" and thus opens floor for rest of team and gets best defender (yes more than Pheesa, think about who ND talks about and had Young and Turner on...)
4) She will be the one to hit the big shot to win it. You can not count on the red sea opening for Pheesa to hit easy drive like OU. That will not happen in 4th against top opponent with true bigs. Pheesa will still be key and right there, so I am not saying she is not important or critical for our success.
5) For her shooting struggles she still was key in 2nd half of close games this year and key contributor for us to win.

19pts STJ / 6 ast in 1st half and 15pts in 2nd ND / Finished with 20pts 11rebs against OU / Her shooting consistency will be there.

In ND loss she had 16pts on 50% shooting and 7 rebs but only shot 12 times (Only Crystal Dangerfield had less shots in game by 1)
In MSST loss 15pts on 50% shooting and 5 rebs but only took 10 shots 3rd on team.

So my thought process on her taking many shots in some of these closer games is that she is learning the role of taking over as many of us have yearned for throughout the years. Just like any other skill set it takes game time to learn and get mentally comfortable and best she does it now before March. I think CW has that potential and one game does not make her that for the team yet. I still would want the senior with great passing skills, deadly shot and the experience in the spot. (Don't think Geno will?Remember he gave Saniya Chong the ball at end of MSST game.)

All this to say that I do not mind Lou's efficiency (FG% & 3PTFG%) numbers being down a little at this point of season because I think they will come up quite a bit, I like the other numbers (rebounds) trending up and want her to act like this is her team. Thoughts???
Best 3 point shooter in the college game and that is so important for efficient post play. Any team could use a player with Lou’s skills.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
On a team as light as this one, all five starters can be classed as 'key' and I believe we will continue to see a 'rotation' of leaders in terms of scoring, rebounding, assists, and key defensive play among those five. That said, I agree that Lou appears to be the key leader on this team. Her versatility both on offense and defense makes her unique. In the OU game I was struck by how often she was driving to the basket (even if not scoring) and that is a clear change this year in her game - partly because of her health but also because she has added that aggressiveness to her game.

Pheesa is obviously critical for success, but I don't think she is as comfortable being vocal with her teammates as both Lou and Danger are. And while she is shooting more from distance it is still not a real threat - her damage will continue to be done within ten feet of the basket. Lou threatens from everywhere and balances the floor better.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
I look at Lou and see how she has evolved from the feshman sharp shooter who basically shot just the 3 to the complete player she has become. But more important is how Lou has develpped as a leader. Quiet during her frosh year, differing to the senior leadership, to calling out the defenses her senior year.

She is now a threat to score from anywhere on the court. She can lead the break and fill the lane on the break. She has learned how to use her height to take a shorter player off the dribble and down the lane. She has learned how to use her height to rebound by reading the shot and positioning herself. She knows she has her teammates who can also score in bunches.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Best 3 point shooter in the college game and that is so important for efficient post play. Any team could use a player with Lou’s skills.
Your first sentence is based on what? Certainly not percentage wise.

Reaction Score
I hate the idea that anyone would criticize Lou because no one on the team works harder or is as capable of scoring from virtually anywhere. No one watching her play can miss the fact that she does so much more than she did as a freshman. As a result, she's been banged around a lot and taken the pounding w/out a squawk--just as she played injured so much of last year w/out a squwk.
Anyone who saw Lou at MD play the entire game while throwing up in a bucket on the sidelines should NEVER question her grit and determination. And remember the pure joy of her knocking down 10 3's in a row at USF?
Lou is a gift to UConn. We should treasure her for all her many good qualities. Above all, acknowledge that she is only human . . . Love you, LouConn.

RogueDave

Wasn’t Me!
Reaction Score
As a whole this board is quite focused shares observations on player observables specific basketball abilities, demonstrated leadership and game contributions...All good...This is what Geno speaks to as well...

I have shared many of the same thought as the forum because the players are so impressive...

In Lou and Phessa’s case I am tempering my perception a lot just because this team has not figured out how to play well together in all situations, it is so early in the season...

I foresee them making incredibly strides and improvement because of those 2 and the coaches...

They will separate themselves from the 2-3-4-5 teams...Just because they will have developed so much more...If what I have seen glimpses of when it is all said and done the ND game will look above average as compared to the excellence that is too come...

This team has Huge Heart !
Come March we will all be Wondering how they became so much better...

Excited to watch the development...

Happy Holidays!

RD

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I completely agree that Lou is playing really well just as MilfordHusky mentioned, and frankly she's needed to show more of an all around game if, as we all believe, she is going to move on to the next level. Her only problem this year has been the inconsistency of her outside shot. That problem has its roots in last years injury. For a shooter everything is about muscle memory and repetition. What some of us have forgotten is that last year Lou had to change things because of her injury. By not being able to jump as high for her shot it changed her release point, her motion, and the angles of her shots. In many ways she's had to relearn some things about her shot and her limits as a shooter. Give her time y'all, it'll come together.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
giphy.gif

Reaction Score
I think she's been forcing the 3 point shot a bit, almost like she feels a need to get off a bunch each game. I'd love to see her get more screens, and try to penetrate off those screens. She really has a good pull-up jumper, and that's certainly going to make her harder to defend, especially in the WNBA. And off penetration, she is really a good passer. I guess I just would like to see fewer 3 pointers. Oh, and she's really tough down low, so get her the ball there more. She is a pretty good foul shooter, and down low is where she can get to the line more. I really love how she attacks the boards. Those long arms are rather effective.

Reaction Score
Correct. Here is KLS's 3FG% team rank in her seasons as at UConn:

2015-16 (fr): 4th
2016-17 (so): 3rd
2017-18 (jr): 1st
2018-19 (sr): 3rd

Reaction Score
Lou has grit. Every time that I have had the opportunity to watch her this year, she gets to the rim and fights for offensive and defensive rebounds against 2 or 3 other opposing players. And, she usually gets squashed and banged up fighting for the ball. There is not denying that she can shoot. But, last year and this year she is driving for the basket. As a senior, she is shouldering the responsibility along with Ms Collier to carry the load for this team. It is what a senior leader should do.

Reaction Score

Since you asked for thoughts, here are mine.... and I will try to tread carefully here.
I am usually uncomfortable when fans try to anoint a leader, or most important player, or whatever they fancy about their favourite player. This always, though probably not intended, undervalues the contributions of other players. Lou is not the most important player on this UCONN team. I am sorry, but she is not. Are UCONN offensive plays predominantly run for Lou, yes! She is more often than not, the beneficiary of screens set by other players (very rarely do you see Lou setting screens for others). Now, as it seem that's how Geno wants it, I am not complaining. But just because Geno runs plays for her does not make her the best player. Lou's game (and her ability to score) depends immensely on her team mates setting her up. This year she has definitely diversify her game, but off course this is year 4 so she has to in order to succeed at the next level. Is she an important component, yes! But so is Pheesa, CD, CW, and yes, Megan also. The team is a team for a reason. Each member brings a special skill set. When each does what they are good at very well, the team succeeds. When someone does not, the team becomes unbalance. Now, regarding what each brings, Lou has been fortunate in that she has always play her natural wing position at UCONN. Pheesa is not a natural 4 or 5 but she had been enlisted to play those positions in the interest of the team. Don't tell me Megan is a 4, yet she is playing that this year, banging with players who are bigger and taller than her. That has an effect on one's offense, don't you think? Same thing happened with Gabby. She was made to play a position that, in my opinion, is negatively impacting her professional career, at least in her first WNBA year. I know it may be sacrilege to some, but in my opinion, Lou was given a starting position in her Freshman year. There was no evidence that she earned it in practice. Geno, at that time wanted to balance the team with an outside shooter, so he put Gabby on the bench and inserted Lou into the starting five with Stewie, Tuck, Kia and Moriah. If playing time or starting was all due to how you perform in practice, Gabby would have started (see the Ohio State game from 2015-2016 with Moriah, Kia and Gabby in the back court, and Tuck and Stewie up front).
The bottom line is this.... Lou has improved her game a lot, and it will probably benefit her at the next level. But at heart, she is still a finesse player, dependent on her team mates for the most part to get open looks. Yet, with those open looks she still misses quite a bit, especially in the big games when the opponent has athletic, rugged players on her (they types she will see in the WNBA). She needs to continue to diversify her game, improve her rebounding (she is the tallest player among the starting five so it should be expected), and improve her defense, especially her lateral movement (opposing players do not respect her defense or shot blocking in spite of her height, so they almost always drive at her - see OU, ND, St John's...).
Any way, this is how I see it.
Cheers!

Reaction Score
Just games I have seen her play, given any open shot she usually drains it. UCONN plays a very tough OOC schedule so she often goes against tough defenses early in the season, In conference defense is not so tight and I expect her stats will go once the conference games start. She has what I refer to a sweet stroke.

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
Cheers!

During the exhibition games of their freshmen season, Samuelson got a lot of heat for her defense. I pointed out at the time that if you watched how she was beat it was always the right way, funneling an opponent between her and the baseline to a waiting Stewart. Though neither Collier nor Williams were as likely to get beat, it happened any time, anywhere on the court. In other words, as a freshman Samuelson had an advanced understanding of how to play within the team framework. She always has. I believe that had as much to do with becoming the starter as much as her outside shot.

That does not necessarily make her the best or most important player, but it has much to do with why Auriemma repeatedly touts her importance in the lineup. Against OU I noticed twice she flashed to the perimeter. The passer looked towards giving her the ball but she hand signaled in towards Collier, for whom she was acting as a decoy. In such ways her savvy is indeed responsible for helping others in their offense.

I do agree with your most important point. Samuelson is playing her natural position, unlike Collier and Walker, and any one of the five could be the most important player for any particular game. Because she is out of position Collier is not likely to be the most important player against Baylor or maybe even California coming up. On the other hand I would make her the odds on favorite to be the most important player against Louisville. With Samuelson's position and game opponents won't stop her, but her own head might. She could very well be the most important player against any particular opponent, or be the third most important player against any one of them as well, it really depends on her more than the opponent. I think the same could be said for Dangerfield or C. Williams.

But let's get to something else that lies behind your assessment. Samuelson is somewhat of a media favorite and, due to no fault of her own, gets hyped up more than her teammates and more than she should. That in turn causes a BY reaction where champions of other players are all too willing to inflate her shortcomings for the sake of "balance." That then leads to other BYers defending her (like what I'm doing here, lol). While I agree with and applaud your message that any five could be the most important at any time, your tone and assessment does suggest you're one of the folks for whom the focus on Samuelson has been grating.

Reaction Score

Was this post to promote Lou or degrade Collier? Promote a player all you want but when you do it at the expense of another player on our team (that has played just as good as Lou) then I have an issue with that.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Was this post to promote Lou or degrade Collier? Promote a player all you want but when you do it at the expense of another played on our team (that has played just as good as Lou) then I have an issue with that.
Right you are bbball.... I view UCONN WBB as a TEAM....and when I watch games, they play TEAM ball more than most other teams out there. Each UCONN WBB player is a key cog to the overall success of the team (especially the starters and 1 or 2 off the bench). Each has a role to play, each has to do their job. If someone is lacking in the performance of "their job"...the others pick 'em up. and I don't like comparing one UCONN player against another. I believe Los24's purpose for this thread was to discuss Lou and her growth and play this year, but things tend to get a bit off track in these kind of threads.

A point I'd like to make to those who knock Lou's defense... I read a stat somewhere here on the BY that OU's Robertson hit something like 6 3pointers in the first half, then Lou was assigned to her, and she only hit 1 3 pointer in the 2nd half. Maybe it was fatigue by Robertson...or maybe it was Lou's defense, length, or experience. Regardless, if someone didn't shut Robertson down, we may very well have lost that game.

I am a big fan of Lou have really enjoyed watching her game develop...but I am also a fan of Pheesa, Danger, Meg, CW, ONO, Kyla, Mikayla, Molly and hope to become a big fan of Touly. GO Huskies!!!!

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
I think a lot of BYers need to get out a bottle of windex and clean their tv or computer screens.
Someone said she was a finesse player
Against OU except for her one three pointer and her FTs all of her points were in the paint, where the banging goes on. Watch the first basket of the game where Lou had to bend backwards to score. That wasnt finesse but bodying up.
Against OU Robertson had 6 three pointers and none were when Lou was guarding her.

Another point, although I can add a ton, nobody on UConn,works more or runs more to get around screens, nobody. She also is the last one to go to the bench to get a breather.
Windex for Xmas, not a bad idea.

Reaction Score
Was this post to promote Lou or degrade Collier? Promote a player all you want but when you do it at the expense of another player on our team (that has played just as good as Lou) then I have an issue with that.
This is why I do not post much on this board. I thought this was a sports forum. I am discussing my favorite team and posted my thoughts on one of the seniors that I believe is growing leaps and bounds despite what some (including myself) see not great shooting numbers. This stuck out as I read comments during the chat of the OU game.

My couple points about Pheesa are ones that everyone acknowledges including Geno and other coaches (about being focal point of defenses trying to stop Lou.) Also Pheesa said herself she is not like Lou in terms of being a verbal leader.

Lou is not with out faults just like Pheesa and every other player on this team. If we can not have open dialogue then what is the use of joining a sports forum. Sorry if I offended you some how.

Pheesa is great, she is an All-American. She is the quiet assassin. You blink she has 20 and 10. She is unselfish, great rebounder, has a relentless motor and great teammate.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom