Thoughts - Kansas/15-16 | The Boneyard

Thoughts - Kansas/15-16

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
It's always tough if you're a seasoned Husky fan to have the basketball season come to an end. A long summer of little fun on the Boneyard and waiting for either recruiting info and/or who's hanging around the campus in the summer to get better. I must say this one isn't as tough as many others because this team never was what we had hoped for so many reasons, and the thought of beating Kansas with the usual inconsistent play of so many was never there for me in all reality. I tried like hell to get the inner mau to believe this team had "it" to come up with one more win for the ages but I knew deep down inside they weren't that type of Husky team.

Last night:

Hey if they were going to have the usual lull to start their games as they did most of the year, KU was not going to be the team to continue the trend. Well not only did we miss shots but hey, to their credit, they made shots. We can say they shot out of their respective a**es in the 1st half and yeah, they did but they are capable and we needed to match it if they did. They showed a little more of what they can be in the 2nd half from 3 with those "masons" from deep, many bad misses, but this is what happens in the tourney against #1.

The key for me is they were tougher and smarter. They manhandled (legally for the most part) our bigs leaving Shonn, AB and everyone else basically worthless on the boards and defensively in their match ups. Lucas looked like a man against children (he's not that good either) under there as did everyone else they had and brought in. Our guards were crapping their pants and making bad decisions as was DHam. Add to that the ball just wasn't going in I honestly believe we were very lucky to be down by just 20 in that debacle of a first half. Miller was able to get the ball more than lately but he couldn't make a shot, shots he has made all year were hanging on the rim bouncing around the rim and not going in. DHam had a couple but he also settled for 3's too much but then again, what else were we going to get? KO took too long to call a TO at one point I thought but that's his way.

Our guys were never in that game, you can say they played better and won the 2nd half but that could easily be because KU knew they just needed to step on the pedal any time we inched back, and they did just that never letting the 9 point lead get closer twice. They were easily the better team in so many ways, they didn't let our guards get any offense going and defended our bigs rather handily. But when your bigs can't offensive rebound or score the ball, what chance do you have against a team of that depth?

Congrats to KU, they are a solid and deep team with some really nice players. Hell Diallo and Bragg are hardly a piece and both of them could start and play 25-30 minutes at the 5 for us:eek:

Moving on:

There is hope. Having Rodney and DHam back is huge they are getting better every year. I expect even more growth form them next year and more maturity in their games. Jalen needs to grow as a player and a person but I think he will. His pouting and talking back needs to go away and show of being coachable and the confidence of a leading guard will be required to get better as a team, he is the future. He will need to have the ball in his hands as either the PG or the secondary guard to make DHam an even better player, allowing him to be more of the wing he needs to be. Rodney's ability to score and defense is a great thing to have back and anyone thinking otherwise is just whacked out of their mind. He has his flaws, every player does, but his positives as a person and a prideful Husky are 2nd to none, glad he's back in a big way. Terry Larrier is a piece which will be very important to us, as we've heard of his abilities, even seen t as a freshman at VCU at times and on video, but will he make that jump from inconsistent freshman to the transfer with maturity after the year of practicing alongside his teammates? This is big as the more experience we bring back the better we will be. Also returning are Facey, AB ad Enoch and each one of them need to do lots of work in the summer. While it's great to have 3 bigs coming back, 2 of which are going into year 4, none have proved to be a factor in winning consistently mostly because none are. It's unfair to even put Steve in this group and we will wait to see how his summer goes, but I expect big things from him. Actually he is our hope to have a experienced big who can make a big difference so we can only hope he has a transitional summer like Emeka and others have had. AB, well why go on so Jerry can attack me? LOL, I mean once again we saw him, good and mostly not so good all year. He's the same guy, not a bad guy to have on your team as the 5 because he can block shots and get the occasional rebound but to have the same numbers for 3 years, well says it all no arguing it. Anyone who expecta him to get a lot better will need to tell me who's brain he came back with. He does nothing naturally on the floor and gets lost way too much for anyone to think "he's finally getting it" - he's not and he won't. Facey is so similar in a lesser role, so athletic and with huge potential but never got it on both ends. Truth be told, we will need Enoch to be better to be really good down low and Larrier will need to play some pf the Miller role. Or else our freshman coming in will need to fill that role.

Not going to go into the freshman, although it's obvious what we will require from all or most of them. Whether you liked them or not, Gibbs and Miller aren't easy to replace. Both brought something to the team especially SM, although I wished he rebounded as well as I thought. But he was a presence on the offensive end on the block and now we do not have one. Does DHam try this part or Larrier or is it a frosh?

The class is loaded and some or all will need to step up immediately if we are to get back to UConn expectations. Not going last year and going out somewhat quietly this year is not the way we like it around here. Can't wait to see what happens as usual, but to say I am sure it will next year isn't being honest with myself. KO needs to get better, players need to get better and recruits need to be ready and a piece. Hear's hoping 16-17 is the beginning of getting the Huskies on track.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Great post. Just about sums up my thoughts. If purvis and Hamilton return as expected it seems, then it's up to Jalen and enoch to make a big leap.

Expectations at UConn should be contending for conference regular and post season titles while being a top 25 team all season. Come tournament time, it's tough to be happy with a first round loss, even though KU was the better team.

I'm with you, I hope next year is the year we go 15-3 in the league and are ranked all season and make a big run, but we need all our pieces to return and for them to be improved significantly. Losing miller and Gibbs is big.

One last thing, thank you to Omar and Phil. I know both of these guys have taken a lot of grief here over the years, but not many more people are as true of huskies as them. Both guys played their asses off here and if not for his injuries, I think Omars career would've ended up a lot differently. Credit to him and Phil for sticking it out 4 seasons and being nothing but great representatives of UConn.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Great post. Just about sums up my thoughts. If purvis and Hamilton return as expected it seems, then it's up to Jalen and enoch to make a big leap.

Expectations at UConn should be contending for conference regular and post season titles while being a top 25 team all season. Come tournament time, it's tough to be happy with a first round loss, even though KU was the better team.

I'm with you, I hope next year is the year we go 15-3 in the league and are ranked all season and make a big run, but we need all our pieces to return and for them to be improved significantly. Losing miller and Gibbs is big.

One last thing, thank you to Omar and Phil. I know both of these guys have taken a lot of grief here over the years, but not many more people are as true of huskies as them. Both guys played their asses off here and if not for his injuries, I think Omars career would've ended up a lot differently. Credit to him and Phil for sticking it out 4 seasons and being nothing but great representatives of UConn.

Phil and Omar really came through as veteran role players. Their efforts were critical to getting into the tournament and winning Thursday.

Reaction Score
I figured they would get theirs in other threads but yeah, I should not have left them out great guys, great Huskies and certainly a big part of the program at one of the tougher times.

Agree, thanks to both of them.

Reaction Score
Good write-up.

The extent to which UConn is still recovering from the APR ban was brought out last night in the comments about how Selden wanted to be a Husky. He came out in the Facey/Samuel class.

I think the team can improve greatly even with the losses because Jalen and DHam should be much improved. Alterique, if he indeed can hit 3s like people are saying, may help run things the way Ollie wants them run. I'd still like to see one more player, maybe a grad transfer added.

I can't see how players like Vance Jackson or Diarra might possibly break into the lineup.

Reaction Score
@mauconnfan great post but I think 15-16 was the beginning of getting the Huskies on track. Yea we had an up and down year but off not making the tourney last year to winning our AAC tourney, making the NCAA and winning our first round game is a step forward. Next year we hope to build on that with a better, more consistent regular season, and hopefully win more than one game in the NCAA.

Reaction Score
Good write-up.

The extent to which UConn is still recovering from the APR ban was brought out last night in the comments about how Selden wanted to be a Husky. He came out in the Facey/Samuel class.

I think the team can improve greatly even with the losses because Jalen and DHam should be much improved. Alterique, if he indeed can hit 3s like people are saying, may help run things the way Ollie wants them run. I'd still like to see one more player, maybe a grad transfer added.

I can't see how players like Vance Jackson or Diarra might possibly break into the lineup.

I didn't hear the Selden piece, how was that brought up and what was said?

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Good write-up.

Not to get into a big argument, but I wouldn't be surprised at all if Diarra got some significant burn next year. Facey hasn't shown that he can be a 30+ minute player, and we don't have another PF on the roster. I think Hamilton/Larrier will play some at the 3 and 4 together on the court, but we're going to get murdered by bigger teams if we do that for more than a few minutes.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Good post mau.

What really stood out to me about last night's game was Kansas's offense. They ran similar sets to us, using the Ollie 3 man weave with great baseline screeners. You can really see the inefficiencies in our offense when paired up with a team like Kansas. Crisp dribbling, very good screens, guys hustled. Also Perry Ellis is miles better than Miller. They got the ball to Ellis down on the block many times, and just did so much with it. Better footwork, quicker, uses both hands. We thought Miller was good, but man Ellis can ball.

2015/2016 I can expect a tournament bid, but I'm not sure if our frontcourt will develop well enough to be a dominant force.

Reaction Score
Good post mau.

What really stood out to me about last night's game was Kansas's offense. They ran similar sets to us, using the Ollie 3 man weave with great baseline screeners. You can really see the inefficiencies in our offense when paired up with a team like Kansas. Crisp dribbling, very good screens, guys hustled. Also Perry Ellis is miles better than Miller. They got the ball to Ellis down on the block many times, and just did so much with it. Better footwork, quicker, uses both hands. We thought Miller was good, but man Ellis can ball.

2015/2016 I can expect a tournament bid, but I'm not sure if our frontcourt will develop well enough to be a dominant force.

Great points on their offense and to add to that they screen strong and well. And then they roll and can score the ball - we don't screen well and why screen and roll anyway we don't have anyone to score the ball they won't chase? It just shows the talent level from the whole line up compared to our weaknesses. Also I think it's a bit unfair to throw Miller and Ellis in the same boat as Shonn is a low block guy and ellis is an all around guy and better than most he plays against. Having said that you are so right, Ellis makes them so much better than us as we saw.

Reaction Score
I didn't hear the Selden piece, how was that brought up and what was said?

Selden told the announcers that he was a huge UConn fan growing up, and he wanted badly to go there, and that he used to dream about playing at UConn.

Reaction Score
Selden told the announcers that he was a huge UConn fan growing up, and he wanted badly to go there, and that he used to dream about playing at UConn.

Was the assumption the issues which were taking place led him to Rock Chalk? Too bad nice player, but as we all know in the recruiting world if he comes someone else is not here right. But like his game.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
It's always tough if you're a seasoned Husky fan to have the basketball season come to an end. A long summer of little fun on the Boneyard and waiting for either recruiting info and/or who's hanging around the campus in the summer to get better. I must say this one isn't as tough as many others because this team never was what we had hoped for so many reasons, and the thought of beating Kansas with the usual inconsistent play of so many was never there for me in all reality. I tried like hell to get the inner mau to believe this team had "it" to come up with one more win for the ages but I knew deep down inside they weren't that type of Husky team.

The class is loaded and some or all will need to step up immediately if we are to get back to UConn expectations. Not going last year and going out somewhat quietly this year is not the way we like it around here. Can't wait to see what happens as usual, but to say I am sure it will next year isn't being honest with myself. KO needs to get better, players need to get better and recruits need to be ready and a piece. Hear's hoping 16-17 is the beginning of getting the Huskies on track.

Yep, I think we all knew that this was a Husky team where the pieces did not fit together all that well, where we did not have the great experienced point guard, and no strong big who could really compete on the boards. I share the concerns about the lack of sufficient progress in understanding the game in Amida and Kentan and I worry about Steve E. The team looks 2 years from being able to really compete for a NC unless Alterique can come in and play at a very mature level. Durham looks to me to be the other kid who could be really good (praying for those knees to hold up). I wonder if Mamadou might not get more minutes than most would guess if he can play decent positional defense and can learn the rotations. We need what I hope will be some Rodman-esque rebounding ability (okay, not that good to start, but like, a natural rebounder who is tough and relentless). Kentan could struggle to earn minutes unless the light goes on and his reactions become quicker and more instinctive (and can reliably make the shots he should make).

I think that Rodney made good progress in some ways...his defense and I think he was getting better with his confidence when facing adversity. Now if he could improve his ability to "slow the game," change speeds, and handle the ball. I think he needs to go to the Kawhi Leonard camp to grow bigger hands.

Daniel is talented but I don't think that he is going to be a superstar for the Huskies. He can be really good if he can become more complementary and less trying to be the "go to" guy. I hope he can stop forcing so many 1 on 2 or 3 defenders isolation plays that rarely result in a good shot. He also showed what I see as improved confidence, but still way too sloppy.

Oh, what I would give for Alterique to have some Khalid in him. How cool would it be for Jalen and Alterique to really work together well and make each other better?

Reaction Score
Brimah is awful. I wrote before I hope Enoch improves so much that Brimah doesn't even see the floor.

Someone posted, did he make a shot outside of 2 feet the whole season? Last night coming in and getting 2 fouls in like a minute was ridiculous. He doesn't understand any aspects of basketball.

Last night:

Hey if they were going to have the usual lull to start their games as they did most of the year, KU was not going to be the team to continue the trend. Well not only did we miss shots but hey, to their credit, they made shots. We can say they shot out of their respective a**es in the 1st half and yeah, they did but they are capable and we needed to match it if they did. They showed a little more of what they can be in the 2nd half from 3 with those "masons" from deep, many bad misses, but this is what happens in the tourney against #1.

The key for me is they were tougher and smarter. They manhandled (legally for the most part) our bigs leaving Shonn, AB and everyone else basically worthless on the boards and defensively in their match ups. Lucas looked like a man against children (he's not that good either) under there as did everyone else they had and brought in. Our guards were crapping their pants and making bad decisions as was DHam. Add to that the ball just wasn't going in I honestly believe we were very lucky to be down by just 20 in that debacle of a first half. Miller was able to get the ball more than lately but he couldn't make a shot, shots he has made all year were hanging on the rim bouncing around the rim and not going in. DHam had a couple but he also settled for 3's too much but then again, what else were we going to get? KO took too long to call a TO at one point I thought but that's his way.

Our guys were never in that game, you can say they played better and won the 2nd half but that could easily be because KU knew they just needed to step on the pedal any time we inched back, and they did just that never letting the 9 point lead get closer twice. They were easily the better team in so many ways, they didn't let our guards get any offense going and defended our bigs rather handily. But when your bigs can't offensive rebound or score the ball, what chance do you have against a team of that depth?

Congrats to KU, they are a solid and deep team with some really nice players. Hell Diallo and Bragg are hardly a piece and both of them could start and play 25-30 minutes at the 5 for us:eek:

Moving on:

There is hope. Having Rodney and DHam back is huge they are getting better every year. I expect even more growth form them next year and more maturity in their games. Jalen needs to grow as a player and a person but I think he will. His pouting and talking back needs to go away and show of being coachable and the confidence of a leading guard will be required to get better as a team, he is the future. He will need to have the ball in his hands as either the PG or the secondary guard to make DHam an even better player, allowing him to be more of the wing he needs to be. Rodney's ability to score and defense is a great thing to have back and anyone thinking otherwise is just whacked out of their mind. He has his flaws, every player does, but his positives as a person and a prideful Husky are 2nd to none, glad he's back in a big way. Terry Larrier is a piece which will be very important to us, as we've heard of his abilities, even seen t as a freshman at VCU at times and on video, but will he make that jump from inconsistent freshman to the transfer with maturity after the year of practicing alongside his teammates? This is big as the more experience we bring back the better we will be. Also returning are Facey, AB ad Enoch and each one of them need to do lots of work in the summer. While it's great to have 3 bigs coming back, 2 of which are going into year 4, none have proved to be a factor in winning consistently mostly because none are. It's unfair to even put Steve in this group and we will wait to see how his summer goes, but I expect big things from him. Actually he is our hope to have a experienced big who can make a big difference so we can only hope he has a transitional summer like Emeka and others have had. AB, well why go on so Jerry can attack me? LOL, I mean once again we saw him, good and mostly not so good all year. He's the same guy, not a bad guy to have on your team as the 5 because he can block shots and get the occasional rebound but to have the same numbers for 3 years, well says it all no arguing it. Anyone who expecta him to get a lot better will need to tell me who's brain he came back with. He does nothing naturally on the floor and gets lost way too much for anyone to think "he's finally getting it" - he's not and he won't. Facey is so similar in a lesser role, so athletic and with huge potential but never got it on both ends. Truth be told, we will need Enoch to be better to be really good down low and Larrier will need to play some pf the Miller role. Or else our freshman coming in will need to fill that role.

Not going to go into the freshman, although it's obvious what we will require from all or most of them. Whether you liked them or not, Gibbs and Miller aren't easy to replace. Both brought something to the team especially SM, although I wished he rebounded as well as I thought. But he was a presence on the offensive end on the block and now we do not have one. Does DHam try this part or Larrier or is it a frosh?

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
Was the assumption the issues which were taking place led him to Rock Chalk? Too bad nice player, but as we all know in the recruiting world if he comes someone else is not here right. But like his game.

It sounded more like he went to visit Kansas for Midnight Madness there and was just blown away and knew that that was where he wanted to go.

Reaction Score

They didn't go into it. I assume that maybe Purvis doesn't transfer if Selden commits. Nonetheless, that was the weakest UConn class in centuries.

Reaction Score
It sounded more like he went to visit Kansas for Midnight Madness there and was just blown away and knew that that was where he wanted to go.

But they didn't mention that, did they?

Selden by the way attended the 2011-2012 UConn midnight madness that came after the 2011 championship.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DyNASTY#3

Top Bottom