Thoughts heading into Maui... | The Boneyard

Thoughts heading into Maui...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I'm sure I'll get a lot of backlash as there is always some on here but...

I'm in my 30's and have been a die hard fan (as we all are) so long as I have memories and grew up in a household with parents with the same passion and have grandparents who did as well. Yes, everyone is saying this team is trash and the worst they can remember, but I disagree. We've had other brutal years. This TEAM is bad. The PLAYERS are good. We have no cohesiveness amongst us. This is quite the mix of players from freshman who have only practiced, Larrier who was here last year but has up until this year, not played in a game with his teammates and no real leader. We have a lot of talent though. Once this team jells, we can be very good. Everyone is talking about Ollie should be fired but I think people forget, the coach is a big part and can draw up great plays, but if we're doing behind the back, thru the legs spin moves to break presses and dribbling it off our feet, it's not his fault. I was at LMU last night, there was a lot of that nonsense happening. Purvis I think has been underwhelming his whole time at UConn. We waited for a "Ferrari" and got a souped up Honda. We have always been a team that played down to/up to the level of talent we play against. Other top schools go in against teams like LMU and win by 35 like they should. We never have but we (almost) always have played up to the good teams. I think Maui gets us together. We haven't had to really play because again, we never do against garbage teams. I'm not justifying Wagner and Northeastern, they were bad losses. For Maui we have to find a way to play together to keep pace with any team in Maui and I believe we will. We either shock a ton of people and win more than expected and come back with confidence, or we play our asses off and lose but realize we are capable. Maybe I'm bias and wrongfully hopeful, but I really believe we have a lot of talent but we need to bring it all together.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Turnovers, free throws, rebounding, and taking a ton of bad threes... if we can fix the first two hopefully everything else will settle down... purvis cannot be on the floor if he continues to play like this... he can play better but he isn't as of now... vital should take his place... really hoping gilbert is ok

Reaction Score
Turnovers, free throws, rebounding, and taking a ton of bad threes... if we can fix the first two hopefully everything else will settle down... purvis cannot be on the floor if he continues to play like this... he can play better but he isn't as of now... vital should take his place... really hoping gilbert is ok
I've been impressed with Vital. When we signed him I brushed it off as a player outside of the top 100 but he's good. He was shooting confidently at LMU last night and hit a huge 3 for us. I agree. Purvis can come off the bench for all I care. He's athletic and can kind of shoot. He gets to the hole but misses he can't dribble to save his life...he's not what we all hoped. Not even close.

Reaction Score
This team is very talented. They need more chemistry and the players need to accept and determine their roles. Chemistry will improve on long road trips like the one they are on now.

This team is very young and there is going to be a lot of bumps in the road. Ollie and the team will come together and we will see the results.

A young team needs a leader--Purvis/Brimah this is your calling to step up to the plate.

Reaction Score
Vital needs to be ready to play big minutes. Especially if Purvis doesn't play well.

Purvis needs to step up. Yes he had some dimes and only 1 turnover but we need 14pts a game from him.

Where's Durham? I thought he could at least score. Is he hurt or lacking confidence?

Brimah needs to board like he did and hold position in the paint. Guards can't get beat at will. I agree with Mau to much hedging. Could be coaches call or Brimah but giving up bunnies, fouling and offensive rebounds way to much.

Larrier played OK but the rock the ball at the 3 pt line a jacking one up isn't what we need. He also needs to take care of the ball better during critical possessions.

Jalen needs get tougher. Mau needs to take him out back and whip that.. He continues to play like it's an AAU game.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Vital needs to be ready to play big minutes. Especially if Purvis doesn't play well.

Purvis needs to step up. Yes he had some dimes and only 1 turnover but we need 14pts a game from him.

Where's Durham? I thought he could at least score. Is he hurt or lacking confidence?

Brimah needs to board like he did and hold position in the paint. Guards can't get beat at will. I agree with Mau to much hedging. Could be coaches call or Brimah but giving up bunnies, fouling and offensive rebound way to much.

Larrier played OK but the rock the ball at the 3 pt line a jacking one up isn't what we need. He also needs to take care of the ball better during critical possessions.

Jalen needs get tougher. Mau needs o take him out back and whip that.. He continues to play like it's an AAU game.

LOL I think if they need whipping 7774 or Onions have that in their arsenal not I. Hell Jerry may even enjoy that.

I think AB is making plays in the paint and he needs to stay there, rotations by the coaches need to be made so he's not leaving the middle period. Keep it within the strengths of his game so in order to assure that - more zone! They don't defend well enough so mix it in a lot more for this team, I am sure they hate to even think it but sometimes it's just the way. It keeps Ab in the middle, Enoch potentially a little more out of foul trouble so we can throw him on the low block more on O and maybe the guards will thrive in it because they aren't now on man. And they just lost some more depth imagine this team with Adams and Vital in foul trouble? Yikes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom