Thoughts from Gampel | The Boneyard

Thoughts from Gampel

Reaction Score
I was able to attend the game today by a lucky connection that came through.

here are some thoughts from the game and sitting with cardboard cutouts:

There was a thread earlier this week asking who is the leader of the team. It’s Bouknight clearly.

I had a great time watching and listening to Hurley. He was animated but actually not as animated and angry as the Marquette coach. Hurley needs to work on naming his play calls. One of the dribble hand off plays is called “handoff 2” and a side out of bounds play for Bouknight is called “side out of bounds to James” lol

When Jackson got called for a Questionable foul on garcia, while garcia was trying to back him down, Hurley complained for a push off foul and screamed “that’s all he does. That’s his whole game!” Obviously it’s just emotion in the moment as it’s obvious Garcia is a very good player. Hurley will scream about a player and then check on the player if he gets banged up. He has respect for the other teams players and coaches but has moments where it all goes out the window lol

Tom Moore was all over Marquette’s plays and has an accent when he screams “shoootahh!” Kimani is the calming influence that will ask them refs questions instead of scream at them. The coaching dynamic seemed very good today.
Akok sat in the back during the game and was stone-faced most of the time. In warmups before the game and at halftime he walked through the motions. He was very surprised when got put in the game. I don’t think it was part of the plan.

killings was also very loud on the sidelines.

carlton and Whaley communicate really well on defense.

jackson is very vocal and even yelled at the senior Polley for a silly foul at one point.

the refs were ridiculous especially in the second half. Several family members of players were not happy about the touch fouls and were letting the refs know about it.

Richie springs has springs! His head was rim level all throughout warmups. Hopefully next year he stays and gets some playing time. A family member of his (maybe grandmother) kept waving at him throughout the game while he was on the bench. He didn’t look up lol it reminded me of a high school game in that way.

Marquette actually made some tough and lucky shots. Besides that and the refs’ help this would have been a severe blowout.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

There was a thread earlier this week asking who is the leader of the team. It’s Bouknight clearly.

I had a great time watching and listening to Hurley. He was animated but actually not as animated and angry as the Marquette coach. Hurley needs to work on naming his play calls. One of the dribble hand off plays is called “handoff 2” and a side out of bounds play for Bouknight is called “side out of bounds to James” lol

When Jackson got called for a Questionable foul on garcia, while garcia was trying to back him down, Hurley complained for a push off foul and screamed “that’s all he does. That’s his whole game!” Obviously it’s just emotion in the moment as it’s obvious Garcia is a very good player. Hurley will scream about a player and then check on the player if he gets banged up. He has respect for the other teams players and coaches but has moments where it all goes out the window lol

Tom Moore was all over Marquette’s plays and has an accent when he screams “shoootahh!” Kimani is the calming influence that will ask them refs questions instead of scream at them. The coaching dynamic seemed very good today.
Akok sat in the back during the game and was stone-faced most of the time. In warmups before the game and at halftime he walked through the motions. He was very surprised when got put in the game. I don’t think it was part of the plan.

jackson is very vocal and even yelled at the senior Polley for a silly foul at one point.

the refs were ridiculous especially in the second half. Several family members of players were not happy about the touch fouls and were letting the refs know about it.

Richie springs has springs! His head was rim level all throughout warmups. Hopefully next year he stays and gets some playing time. A family member of his (maybe grandmother) kept waving at him throughout the game while he was on the bench. He didn’t look up lol it reminded me of a high school game in that way.

Marquette actually made some tough and lucky shots. Besides that and the refs’ help this would have been a severe blowout.
I did notice that killings was as active as wojo on the Marquette sideline

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
I did notice that killings was as active as wojo on the Marquette sideline
Not sure if it was one of them or the players on the bench but you could hear them yelling out "carry! He carries everytime!" Whenever JB had the ball

Reaction Score
Not sure if it was one of them or the players on the bench but you could hear them yelling out "carry! He carries everytime!" Whenever JB had the ball
Yea I noticed that watching the game and during the replay.. u could hear them yell push off on RJ on time as well LOL

Reaction Score

Was Kevin Freeman there? You didn't mention him.

Reaction Score

I can agree being at the game yesterday against Marquette was great.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Thank you

PS: It was a blowout :)

Reaction Score
THANKS! Nice insider view of bench and court noise that is often missed with full crowds. Glad to know the refs were being leaned on by both sides, much like a home crowd would. The TV view is half or full court so I think the coaches at eye level see a different game and only see our game in the review.

Reaction Score
Excited at the prospect of seeing Springs next year with Carlton and Whaley gone. Wished Javonte stayed. He would have gotten playing time next year but in comes Samson! We'll be a bit thin on the front court though.

Reaction Score
Excited at the prospect of seeing Springs next year with Carlton and Whaley gone. Wished Javonte stayed. He would have gotten playing time next year but in comes Samson! We'll be a bit thin on the front court though.
I really thought we would finally see Springs yesterday with a big lead and our Bigs in foul trouble.

Reaction Score
I really thought we would finally see Springs yesterday with a big lead and our Bigs in foul trouble.
Thought so too. At this point, I'd rather get Springs in over Akok.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom