Thoughts from Coach Calhoun | The Boneyard

Thoughts from Coach Calhoun

Reaction Score
We went away from what was working for us (playing at a faster tempo, in spots) toward the end of the season. Bouk especially is far more dangerous and efficient in transition - this is how many of his buckets in his 40 point game came

Reaction Score
Sounds like he may think JB needs more time in college but the pros won't let that bother them if they believe he'll develop more in the next two years no matter where he is.
He’s right. It’s a 100% guarantee that Bouknight is leaving, and he will be a top 15-20 selection. But, It may be a couple years before he matures into an NBA talent, just from the physical aspect alone. Rip and Lamb were two guys that also had the same build as Bouknight, but It still didn’t seem like they got tossed around like he does.

Reaction Score
Article from jacobs... Calhoun likes how UConn is playing and suggests to dictate tempo more by running when facing a Creighton type team

Telling it like I and others have been saying. We have to push the ball up , shoot early in the clock and hit the boards. Reading between the lines - Hurley cannot allow opponents to dictate tempo like he allowed with Creighton and Nova. JC is being somewhat diplomatic on Bouk. NBA talent but not physically or mentally ready. He definitely doesn’t see him as impactful as some our greats, thinks he needs more games, but won’t happen.

Reaction Score
Everything he said is true. Idea that Bouknight is an NBA player now is silly. his release is slow and his handle stinks. Great athlete, not a great basketball player yet. And Uconn doesn't know how to create open looks in the half court. they have to run/play fast because they can't run a half court offense. None of their guards are good enough off the dribble to get the team easy looks and they don't have enough shooters to spread the floor effectively, even with a Sanogo who demanded double teams

Reaction Score
He’s right. It’s a 100% guarantee that Bouknight is leaving, and he will be a top 15-20 selection. But, It may be a couple years before he matures into an NBA talent, just from the physical aspect alone. Rip and Lamb were two guys that also had the same build as Bouknight, but It still didn’t seem like they got tossed around like he does.
Lamb didn’t play much until two seasons ago

Reaction Score
One year at their age is huge. If Bouk came back, by the end of the season he would look much stronger and tougher. He would be ready. The NBA sucks.

As for playing uptempo, I would add pressing more. A lot more. We have some depth and should use it.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Both Rip and Lamb were more solid and mature. The question is does he want to build himself while playing at UConn or on an NBA team where he won’t see much court time at all. Yes he will be paid rather nicely but may face injury just banging with these men in practice. Does he want to play G League? There is no way he can compete physically with NBA players. As far as maturity - kids can grow over a year if they want to. I think we all know what his decision will be. He needs to have a really strong showing in the tournament to keep himself close to the lottery pick area

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
There were a bunch of backhanded compliments and straight up shade in JC's observations.
I recall a story JC used to tell, when Looie basically to him to shut up because “It’s tough enough coaching one team”.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
I wonder how often / if Calhoun speaks with Hurley. I know KO and Calhoun didn’t speak the last few years of his tenure (what a coincidence, that’s when we sucked...) but I know Hurley has a lot of respect for Calhoun. Hope he and the team listen when he speaks!

Reaction Score
We went away from what was working for us (playing at a faster tempo, in spots) toward the end of the season. Bouk especially is far more dangerous and efficient in transition - this is how many of his buckets in his 40 point game came

As is pointed out in the column -- you need to rebound to run.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Hope he and the team listen when he speaks!
I agree, but I'm guessing there is a lot of overlap between Calhoun's comments, insights and observations and those Hurley gets from his father on a daily basis.

Reaction Score
I recall a story JC used to tell, when Looie basically to him to shut up because “It’s tough enough coaching one team”.
But JC has had lots of time on his hands and has been known to sometimes be opinionated.... :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
I am fully convinced the Boneyard crashing every other day is collective karma from all the idiots that say Bouk isn't ready for the NBA on here. FFS you guys suck.

Half the board hasn't watched the NBA in 20-25 years (if ever) and think it's still the same world it was when Ray and Rip were weighing whether or not to leave early. The NBA is the most offense-friendly league on the planet: it's less physical and the floor is more spaced than college hoops. Bouk is going to be a good NBA player right away. He's perfect for the NBA's style of play, even though he has room for growth.

Reaction Score
None of these morons watch the NBA.

No. And they have no idea that the NBA drafts on potential, not ability. This isn't 1992.

Bouk is going to make somewhere in the range of 3-5 million dollars next year. NO ONE would stay in school with that kind of guarantee. I would quit my job yesterday for that kind of cash. That's not even considering the fame, world-class healthcare, coaching, endorsements, etc.

Reaction Score
It's not realistic to think that Bouk would return to college. That's what JC said. Take that to the bank. Period. Over. The end.

Reaction Score
Bouk throws his body out there and makes himself vulnerable to injuries more than other great players we had. And his body can't take it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom