Thoughts and Observations about the Stanford Game (long) | The Boneyard

Thoughts and Observations about the Stanford Game (long)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Had the pleasure of being at the game and here are some thoughts and observations about what I saw:

· First time ever visiting Stanford and was not impressed by the look or structure of Maples (and sitting in it I found it to be cold – I guess the building in not well insulated.

· Parking was free and very very close to Maples.

· The building was packed. However the 2 seats next to me were left empty as they belonged to a very nice Stanford Fan who was taking pictures from the row above and by having the 2 seats in front of him empty had clear picture angles.

· Maples is fairly small and the seats were great as you are pretty close to the action.

· Bottle of water cost $5

· Geno was booed (what was up with that? I’ve been at the Baylor game last season and he was cheered there. What did ever Geno do to Stanford fans?

· Stanford had no cheerleaders and no dancing Tree. What happened to them?

· NO was in the building and was treated as a rock star (deservingly so)

· The Stanford Band was great!

· For some reason they did the National Anthem about 12 min. before game time and Geno almost miss it as he cane our right after the team and coaches were already standing in row for the Anthem.

The game itself:

· Geno out coached Tara big time in this game as it was clear that UConn had a very good defensive game plan (guard CO with a tall player and double her whenever she tried a move to the basket while keeping a close look at the 3pt shooters of Stanford) while Tara tried to force feed the ball to CO or have the guards (especially Kokenis) try to use the quickness advantage especially against Doty but UConn’s team defense is second to none and all players cover for one another very well. I was surprised the Tara didn’t try to have CO shoot from mid-range or drive more from the top of the key against the slower Dolson.

· Dolson was brilliant on defense.

· CO is allowed a lot by the officials. Some of her offensive rebounds came from climbing over the back of UConn players and take downs with no calls against her.

· While CO is a very very good player she is not great and will not be unless she does what her sister did which is develop a reliable mid-range shot.

· KML! KML! KML! What a beautiful player. Cool under pressure, accurate, goes to the baskets, shoots within the offense and each time Stanford made a mini run, she was there to score for UConn. Wow! IMO It’s a crime if she is not AA this season (there are no 10 players in WBB better than her and I doubt there are 5).

· I was impressed by how the team does not get rattled. Hostile environment with some iffy reffing and they just play on in a methodical organized manner.

· I don’t understand how Baylor lost to this Stanford team even without Sims as Stanford is a team with clearly glaring weaknesses (the bigs aside than CO are not productive, the 3 pt shooters can’t create their own shot, etc.)

· Stew was at times the best player on the court but needs to get stronger as she is pushed around a lot.

· UConn does have some weaknesses and will be much better in March especially with the FR getting this kind of valuable experience.

All in all a great experience (I’m sure not so to the Stanford faithful who seemed at shock during and after the game) for me as an UConn fan!

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Nice report. Thanks. What brand of water are they selling for $5? Mondavi?

Reaction Score
Had the pleasure of being at the game and here are some thoughts and observations about what I saw:

· First time ever visiting Stanford and was not impressed by the look or structure of Maples (and sitting in it I found it to be cold – I guess the building in not well insulated. I mentioned it before and warmed folks. Cold by restrooms, hot in the gym.

· Parking was free and very very close to Maples. Which is very nice and unlike most schools.

· The building was packed. However the 2 seats next to me were left empty as they belonged to a very nice Stanford Fan who was taking pictures from the row above and by having the 2 seats in front of him empty had clear picture angles. My seat was empty because I moved to handicapped section with friend, that could have been the case too.

· Maples is fairly small and the seats were great as you are pretty close to the action. Not a bad seat in the place.

· Bottle of water cost $5 Welcome to CA, makes up for free parking though.

· Geno was booed (what was up with that? I’ve been at the Baylor game last season and he was cheered there. What did ever Geno do to Stanford fans? Nothing. It was a lighthearted boo, imho. He's brought some stuff on though like lowering the rims. Maybe some Stanford faithful they were booing that. I cheered him and every UConn player as did many around me.

· Stanford had no cheerleaders and no dancing Tree. What happened to them? at the Rose Bowl in Pasadena.

· NO was in the building and was treated as a rock star (deservingly so) Great to see her too. Miss her.

· The Stanford Band was great! Since the band is at the Rose Bowl, the small contingent are what is referred to as old farts who are alumni Band members. I've seen one guy (Viking Guy) who graduated in the early 90s. He will also write an excellent (very honest and unbiased) summary of the game on the Cardboard.

· For some reason they did the National Anthem about 12 min. before game time and Geno almost miss it as he cane our right after the team and coaches were already standing in row for the Anthem. TV games do that, previous game was running late.

The game itself:

· Geno out coached Tara big time in this game as it was clear that UConn had a very good defensive game plan (guard CO with a tall player and double her whenever she tried a move to the basket while keeping a close look at the 3pt shooters of Stanford) while Tara tried to force feed the ball to CO or have the guards (especially Kokenis) try to use the quickness advantage especially against Doty but UConn’s team defense is second to none and all players cover for one another very well. I was surprised the Tara didn’t try to have CO shoot from mid-range or drive more from the top of the key against the slower Dolson. agreed.

· Dolson was brilliant on defense. She was definitely much, much better than the last time she played here, but we have no real center. Chiney is a forward.

· CO is allowed a lot by the officials. Some of her offensive rebounds came from climbing over the back of UConn players and take downs with no calls against her. Seriously, so was Dolson and others. I saw 3 over the backs. Dolson committed her 2nd foul in the first half but was not called for it. A major pt.

· While CO is a very very good player she is not great and will not be unless she does what her sister did which is develop a reliable mid-range shot. agreed.

· KML! KML! KML! What a beautiful player. Cool under pressure, accurate, goes to the baskets, shoots within the offense and each time Stanford made a mini run, she was there to score for UConn. Wow! IMO It’s a crime if she is not AA this season (there are no 10 players in WBB better than her and I doubt there are 5). KML is great, amazingly smooth for a big girl. I noticed her first step was often a travel, but was too quick for blind mice refs to see.

· I was impressed by how the team does not get rattled. Hostile environment with some iffy reffing and they just play on in a methodical organized manner. We were never in the bonus in the first half. We had 8 fouls to your 4. Bria carries the ball, but it is never called.

· I don’t understand how Baylor lost to this Stanford team even without Sims as Stanford is a team with clearly glaring weaknesses (the bigs aside than CO are not productive, the 3 pt shooters can’t create their own shot, etc.). We won by rebounding and hitting 8 threes.

· Stew was at times the best player on the court but needs to get stronger as she is pushed around a lot. Somewhat agree.

· UConn does have some weaknesses and will be much better in March especially with the FR getting this kind of valuable experience. Stanford played decent D and out rebounded you. You only scored 61 pts and shot 37%, so that was something to hang my hat on. And Geno's T. Kidding!

All in all a great experience (I’m sure not so to the Stanford faithful who seemed at shock during and after the game) for me as an UConn fan! Yep, by far the worse game I've seen at Maples in 26 years. Congrats to UConn for their great game plan and execution.

arty155

Post Poster
Reaction Score
dtbtbtb, Great comments - thanks for posting!
Fellow UConn Fans,
-First things first. Like everyone else following the board this past week, I could not help but appreciate the gracious hospitality Cardfan consistently offered her fellow ‘Yarders attending the game – everything from detailed advice where to park, to going out of her way to personally greet those attending, no matter where they were seated. So first, no kidding, here’s a (National Flag Blue) hats off to our Cardfan!
- OK, well with that said, I guess I was also kind of stunned after just reading of yet another particular act of kindness – but maybe it’s best if I address it directly to Cardfan herself…
…..
Cardfan,
-I just read this comment above by dtbtbtb, with your reply in red:
· First time ever visiting Stanford and was not impressed by the look or structure of Maples (and sitting in it I found it to be cold – I guess the building in not well insulated. I mentioned it before and warmed folks. Cold by restrooms, hot in the gym

-Look, I don’t know exactly how you went about warming those people up by the cold restrooms (I know it’s none of my business) , but I think everyone would agree you truly go above and beyond the call of duty helping guests,… and I’m sure they will never forget it. :)

(Seriously - thanks for being a Most Valuable Poster all week, Cardfan ! )

Reaction Score
dtbtbtb, Great comments - thanks for posting!
Fellow UConn Fans,
-First things first. Like everyone else following the board this past week, I could not help but appreciate the gracious hospitality Cardfan consistently offered her fellow ‘Yarders attending the game – everything from detailed advice where to park, to going out of her way to personally greet those attending, no matter where they were seated. So first, no kidding, here’s a (National Flag Blue) hats off to our Cardfan!
- OK, well with that said, I guess I was also kind of stunned after just reading of yet another particular act of kindness – but maybe it’s best if I address it directly to Cardfan herself…
…..
Cardfan,
-I just read this comment above by dtbtbtb, with your reply in red:

-Look, I don’t know exactly how you went about warming those people up by the cold restrooms (I know it’s none of my business) , but I think everyone would agree you truly go above and beyond the call of duty helping guests,… and I’m sure they will never forget it. :)

(Seriously - thanks for being a Most Valuable Poster all week, Cardfan ! )

Thanks Arty for your kind words. LOL on my typo, it was a very long day, to say the least. Trust me, we put our coats on when we go to the concessions or bathrooms at Maples. Unfortunately, Stanford's shooting was as cold inside, but UConn's D had something to do with it. I'm sorry that I didn't get to meet some of the UConn fans, I was busy hosting other folks. Happy New Year and good luck the rest of the season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom