Thought Provoking: Fans Don't Follow Women To Pros | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Thought Provoking: Fans Don't Follow Women To Pros

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
Understand all the reasons.

Not interested in addressing them, because people feel how they feel.

But when people wonder/complain why the women in college and the pros don't get respect or fan support or, with budget questions, start to disappear...

FWIW - League pass is $17 and pretty good. Games will also be streamed on twitter.

Reaction Score
I watched the two games today (NBAtv and ESPN). I have made it a point to follow the women's game. I like the UCONN players and a few of the other elite WCBB players so I have kept up with them. The game is quite different than WCBB. I have to agree that you become spoiled watching the well oiled machine that is the UCONN offense. Nevertheless I watch and contribute as much as I can as I want the league to grow.

There are so many really talented ladies graduating that want to play but the league is too small. The only way for it to grow is to provide as much support as you can. It was nice to see KML, KStokes,TCharles play today. Dare I say I am looking forward to seeing NC,KLS and GW next year and the years to come.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Didn't know about the game on NBAtv. If it was NY (as implied above) would have watched. Even if not "into" the WNBA, I tape and watch games involving the Liberty, Chicago and Phoenix. Already checked the Phoenix schedule and not that many games on TV - unfortunately (depending on how you look at it) our trip east to bury my Mom's ashes is scheduled to last a month, early June through the 4th of July so we will miss seeing a bunch of games. My wife's health is too problematic to attempt to attend a game in Phoenix, although I will be checking to see if any of the games corresponds to any of her appointments at Mayo Clinic.

Sorry, TJI, since I don't watch even college games on the net, I'll skip League Pass. I do think it is a great thing.

Reaction Score
I'm insanely hooked on the women's college game, but have no interest in the WNBA. One of the things I appreciate about the college game is watching kids that stay around for four years. When you watch every game, you feel like you know them (though of course you don't). It's harder to be attached to an ever changing roster.

The other reason is timing. The WNBA season is during 'good' weather and I'd rather be camping than watching TV.

It goes the other way too. I expect many of us have never watched a college baseball game but still follow MLB.

I'm a bit of a feminist and I'd love for every woman to have any opportunity she wants. I just don't think you can force people to support it.

Reaction Score
Still, an impressive key count in almost mid-May Broadway.
I was doing my imitation of a prolific waster of key strokes by another Byer or two. Diarrhea of the keyboard seems to be an off season malady for a few--but at least one has it all year long , don't you know??

Reaction Score
I try watching the WNBA (I don't watch the MNBA at all), but I don't think it's very good basketball. The reason I follow UConn is because they play an astonishingly good game of team basketball. But, as bad as the MNBA is, the WNBA may be worse, for good reason. To make financial ends meet, most of the players have to play year round, and the teams can't do a lot of preseason practice because of other commitments. I like the proportions of the women's pro game and I have far more emotional interest it that lingers from watching their college game. But I become distressed when I think back to how disciplined and cohesively UConn and other top WCBB teams play in comparison.
I second these opinions---however going way back--Pro Men's BB was a better game--College, if you have any commitment to a College that has a lot more emotional attachment --and to me at the games --a better atmosphere.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
I'M AN ECHO OF MANY ABOVE. mY ALLEGIANCE TO UConn GOES BACK TO '95. tHE PACKAGE OF GENO, cd AND PLAYERS WHO GET UNDER OUR SKIN OVER 4 YEARS is the selling point. That does not translate to the pros. I intended to watch Seattle at LA, then found out the 2 UConn starters were out, then interest diminished.
I will catch the games where our grads are expected to play. Also looking forward to NY & Minny being on TV.

Reaction Score
"Consider this: The 2017 women’s college basketball NCAA championship game between Mississippi State and South Carolina drew 3.8 million viewers between live and streaming. But the fifth game of the 2016 WNBA Finals (which was won by the Los Angeles Sparks on a dramatic buzzer-beater tossed up by Nneka Ogwumike) drew about 528,000 viewers—a drastic gap."

http://deadspin.com/why-arent-womens-basketball-fans-following-their-player-1795024988

“You can walk up to anyone in the [Connecticut] area and mention the Sun and they will know exactly what you are talking about,” said Amber Cox, vice president of the Connecticut Sun. “Because of UConn, there is no barrier against women’s basketball that you face in other markets. In most cases, when you are selling women’s basketball you have to first explain why women’s basketball is good basketball. In this state, that conversation never has to happen.”

Cox later added: “One of the things we have working in our favor is we do have the luxury of getting great coverage. It’s not a super saturated market. The reason it’s so important to tell the players’ stories is because we need people to come out and support beyond just one game. There are so many great stories on this team that aren’t being told by traditional media.”

In Montana you don't have to explain WBB? In this state, that conversation never has to happen.”

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Remember that the NBA struggled for viewers early on as well. It was the Bird/Magic rivalry that jumped it to another level. That's what the WNBA needs. Not an easy thing to manufacture. I suppose the best shot was when UConn and Tennessee were bumping heads. A dominant UConn and a dominant Tennessee player could have primed the pumps for more viewership. That said, the short season, lack of 'sports center plays' not just dunks, but yeah, dunks, dooms it. I'm actually surprised that it has lasted as long as it has.

That said, I stop and watch for a minute or two when UConn players are playing, but my interest isn't held very long.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
In Montana you don't have to explain WBB? In this state, that conversation never has to happen.”

The reference (in an article quote) is to CT not MT Broadway.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom