Thought For Food

Discussion in 'UConn Women's Basketball' started by RockyMTblue2, Feb 13, 2018 at 9:49 PM.

1. RockyMTblue2

RockyMTblue2 Don't Look Up!

• "I was really excited to play this game," Samuelson said. "I made sure I was rested."
    Then she laughed and added, "I actually ate better, like, 'Oh, I'm going to eat healthier leading up to this game.' Maybe I should continue to do that, because I felt good throughout the game."

UConn makes quick work of No. 4 Louisville

Anyone know how closely UConn monitors team member diets? I know they have in the past for some centers who had to pare down, but Lou doesn't fall into that category.

pacific 44, RegisteredUconn and S1836 like this.
  2. LasVegasYank

LasVegasYank Never pay retail for anything.

I'm a tad concerned that Gabby's vegetarian diet may be affecting her endurance and recovery from her hip? injury. Nothing helps build or rebuild muscle better than lean animal proteins. I'd like to see her add some fish and/or chicken to her diet, for those reasons.

Any dietitians, pro or amateur, out there who can add comments about my assertion?

3. pvdoggy

pvdoggy

There are plenty of world class athletes who are vegan, and even quite a few NFL/NBA players as well.

4. oldude

oldude bamboo lover

I suspect that team members are on a meal plan, and they eat whatever they want at UConn’s school cafeteria. The only time they all eat a set meal together is probably on the road. Beyond that, we know Gabby cooks for the team from time to time.

Vegan does not necessarily mean no protein. Some vegans consume milk products and there’s always beans nuts and various protein supplements.

Sifaka likes this.
  5. paisan

paisan

Anyone doubt that Gabby does not seem to have the stamina that she had last year.

6. pvdoggy

pvdoggy

Maybe soy milk or protein drink, but not regular milk from animal product.

oldude likes this.
  7. oldude

oldude bamboo lover

Yes, I guess if you want to be a completely pure vegan. But my understanding is that veganism is like religion to some degree with different levels of devotion. Some vegans will consume milk products. Others will even consume eggs. Not really sure where Gabby lies on the scale.

8. RockyMTblue2

Me, I think if we were meant to be vegan we'd have 4 hooves and really be worried about the meat eaters. ;)

Rayvin56, JAMBall, geneticrex and 2 others like this.
  9. RockyMTblue2

oldude likes this.
  10. Rayvin56

Rayvin56

Sounds natural to me...btw, vegans do not consume animal products of any kind.
    [​IMG]

11. Oldbones

Oldbones Hates Surprises

All the UCONN powers-to-be need to do is check the Boneyard. We are experts on who needs to tone up, bulk up, trim down, and improve speed, endurance, timing, jumping ability.

RockyMTblue2 and RegisteredUconn like this.
  12. diggerfoot

diggerfoot Humanity Hiker

I can only comment from a brain health perspective, and people may be tired of that, but in terms of the primary research out there when you are young meat in the diet is beneficial because of the nutrients involved that more efficiently facilitate brain function than other dietary alternatives. When you are older the nutritional disadvantages of meat become more serious and our diets should shift more to the antioxidant and other nutritional values of fruits and vegetables.

13. geneticrex

geneticrex

Udderly ridiculous!!!

Rayvin56, NewCorn and RockyMTblue2 like this.
  14. oldude

oldude bamboo lover

I’m ashamed at myself for laughing at that joke. :p

15. geneticrex

geneticrex

Somebody had to deliver it.

I figured I take one for the team.

pacific 44 and oldude like this.