Thon Maker might Reclassify to 2015 Class | The Boneyard

Thon Maker might Reclassify to 2015 Class

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Does UConn have any shot? Was or is his camp considering UConn. Likely wishful thinking on my part.

He looks like the next Kevin Garnett.

Reaction Score
I recall being lightly involved, but also hearing a lot of Duke/UNC (a while ago; nothing recent).

Reaction Score
UK will add 3 more 7 footers to the 5 they already have, seriously it just makes no sense.

Reaction Score
No on Thon Maker, but we will be a desirable spot for other top recruits in the spring period.

Reaction Score
I recall being lightly involved, but also hearing a lot of Duke/UNC (a while ago; nothing recent).
Don't know if I would go to UNC. They could be missing tourneys etc. After all wasn't their academics a total fraud for like 12 years?

Reaction Score
Don't know if I would go to UNC. They could be missing tourneys etc. After all wasn't their academics a total fraud for like 12 years?
Way more than 12 years.

Reaction Score
Very true. I'm gonna have a nice smile on my face the day they get what they deserve in Chapel Hill, even though that's a bit of wishful thinking. I meant Maker and UNC as in stuff I'd read in the Spring and Summer, before this became a huge issue.

Reaction Score
Now I thought he had met Ollie but I don't recall if he ever said anything about KO or not. He's got UK written all over him, but if there is a log jam at his position, no matter how good he is, I'm not sure he wants to be on the 1st of two lines or even the Squid's second line.

UNC as someone pointed out, might be enough of a mess to scare him off, but there are still enough P5 blue bloods out there that will make room for him that might look more promising than AAC giant UConn.

I know we all like to rest on our 4-Time NC and UConn brand laurels, but I just looked at our schedule after the first of the year and I see UF and Stanford and not a heck of a lot after that which would make most recruits excited about. I don't know what our schedule looks like next season. We have the Battle of Atlantis which is a carrot to dangle, and I'm sure a few good OOC contests, but our conference is pretty sad lately. Maybe a few AAC teams, including us, will be respectable by season's end, but our conference is clearly working against us.

Don't get me wrong! We're still UConn and there is the KO factor. Recruits really like him. In the case with out-of-region talent such as Hamilton, KO was enough of a draw to get him to Storrs. He just got commitments from really good regional talent in Adams and Enoch.

One thought I have, which I've wrested with, is maybe KO should work the regional talent much harder than he did and be willing to pull the trigger on a very good player that's from NE or NY even if he's waiting for an elite out-of-region elite recruit in light of the multiple recruiting defeats he encountered during this year's early recruiting window. Maybe he did work them hard and would have taken players like Govan and other regional recruits, but they simply preferred to go elsewhere. Now if they land, Stone and/or some other elite talent come spring, then I would say that this recommendation is flat out wrong. I guess we'll all have to see how this plays out, i.e. till after the spring signing period has passed. Remember JC pulled in his share of talented spring signees, Daniels case in point. I'm sure someone can add to this list. The biggest difference, under JC, we were part of one of the best college basketball conferences out there. Now we don't even crack to top 5, 6, hum...how far has the AAC fallen now that UL has moved on?

Last edited:

caw

Reaction Score
Would not want UConn involved unless his "mentor" is out of the picture.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
He is the best big man prospect I've seen and anyone who says they don't want him or we shouldn't go after him is crazy. I'm more impressed with him than I am with Stone or anyone else in the 2015 or 2016 classes.

caw

Reaction Score
He is the best big man prospect I've seen and anyone who says they don't want him or we shouldn't go after him is crazy. I'm more impressed with him than I am with Stone or anyone else in the 2014 or 2015 classes.

Read some about his mentor. He's bad news. Have you actually seen Maker play a game, or highlights?

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
Read some about his mentor. He's bad news. Have you actually seen Maker play a game, or highlights?
No, just highlights and one game on tv. I edited my post to 2015 and 2016. Where did 2014 go?

Reaction Score
Take him in a New York minute and mentor also. Heck we'll take his whole family and throw in the family dog.

caw

Reaction Score
No, just highlights and one game on tv. I edited my post to 2015 and 2016. Where did 2014 go?

He has a ton of potential but (and considering he's currently 2016 he has time) but he's far from a finished product. I'd take Stone in a heart beat over Maker in 2015.

He's certainly a talent and unattached to his mentor I don't think anyone would knock him. That's why I had the qualifier I did. Keep in mind his mentor was also the mentor for Majok and had a lot of suggestions for Calhoun.

I also don't think UConn has a shot because of his mentors history with UConn.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
He has a ton of potential but (and considering he's currently 2016 he has time) but he's far from a finished product. I'd take Stone in a heart beat over Maker in 2015.

He's certainly a talent and unattached to his mentor I don't think anyone would knock him. That's why I had the qualifier I did. Keep in mind his mentor was also the mentor for Majok and had a lot of suggestions for Calhoun.

I wish JC would've taken some of them.

Reaction Score

They are two entirely different types of players. Add both and put a fork in our 2015 recruiting. Not going to happen, but you can't blame a guy for dreaming.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
Well, if we can't Thon Maker, maybe we should all pitch in to buy the cheerleaders G-strings.

Reaction Score
Nothing will enhance roster until a candidate sez i cant stand or sit preechermen.

This luvy stuff is proven joke.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CT2SC