This year's ND/UConn game is postponed | Page 2 | The Boneyard

This year's ND/UConn game is postponed

Reaction Score
I understand your point of view here. For reasons I've already articulated, I still believe Geno would rather NOT play in that arena in front of those fans ever again. The fans will be yelling obscenities at him and the players ( showing their lack of class and decorum) the whole game. Who looks forward to that? The only way that turns out to be a pleasant trip is if Evina goes off for about 30 points, and UConn blows them out by 30+. I hope a UConn fan goes to the game, and sits right behind the UConn bench so that they can hear and see everything that goes on that night, and then give a detailed report here in the yard so they we can judge for ourselves what really happened. We won't hear or see anything on TV. The producers will edit anything of an offensive nature out. Most televised games are broadcast on a delay. I've already said I could be wrong on this, but this is the way I see it.

Correction: in another post I said that none of the players were born yet when the eruption occurred between Geno and Pat in 2007. That was incorrect. All of them were born. They were all in elementary school at the time.

Fans? We're still in a pandemic, so there may not be any or many fans. But this is Tennessee, and they haven't exactly been full bore on social distancing guidelines.

Reaction Score
I was at the Tenn game and saw a lot of Tenn fans who I thought were very nice people. When, like myself, you have gotten your opinion of the Vol attitude toward UConn from a handful of "true believers" like Cornelius or Tiny on the pay-to-read board or the crazies on the ESPN board like Aurabass it's easy to think they are all sick puppies but the reality is that they are mostly nice friendly people who root for their team. Despite the play of the last dozen years they are still one of the top draws in wcbb.

Reaction Score
I was at the Tenn game and saw a lot of Tenn fans who I thought were very nice people. When, like myself, you have gotten your opinion of the Vol attitude toward UConn from a handful of "true believers" like Cornelius or Tiny on the pay-to-read board or the crazies on the ESPN board like Aurabass it's easy to think they are all sick puppies but the reality is that they are mostly nice friendly people who root for their team. Despite the play of the last dozen years they are still one of the top draws in wcbb.
I went to a couple games in Knoxville back when we were playing them twice a year in the regular season. I'm sure they aren't ALL sick puppies but, believe me, there were a LOT of sick puppies at these games (DT "Punching Something Orange" game, and DT "Mooing" game). Not sure what defines "mostly", but it sure didn't seem like they were mostly "nice friendly people" to me.

Last edited:

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Fans? We're still in a pandemic, so there may not be any or many fans. But this is Tennessee, and they haven't exactly been full bore on social distancing guidelines.

Jonathan, THAT is exactly my wish. That is why I don't want this game postponed!! THAT would be THE BEST scenario possible. Let them play the game in an empty arena. Let their fans watch the game the same way we will.......on TV. The contract is fulfilled, both school administrations are happy, the forces that put this together are happy, Evina plays well in this game, goes off for 30 and gets the last laugh, UConn beats Tennessee down on their home floor by 25. The freshmen play the last 3 minutes and "get some." Then, UConn can fly home like those folks in the "JINGLE BELLS" Christmas song..........................laughing all the way. :D

I know there are some folks here that want to see the series resume, and some that don't. I don't!! There is still a lot of bitter feelings between the two fan bases. Bitter memories are stirred up, and some folk's blood pressure rises a bit when they are the next game on our schedule. Vol Nation despises UConn.

The series was renewed for two years, it's done!! Let's move on. We've got new fish to fry, and new rivals to play. They should have found a new comparable non conference rival by now. We DON"T need to play each other anymore. There are plenty of other OOC programs UConn can schedule that would love to play them. Let's do that. :)

Last edited:

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
They will replace UCONN with the Coast Guard Academy.

If you're looking for bus trip games, Coast Guard should just schedule Conn College, which is a two-minute walk from their campus (Conn Coll is my other daughter's alma mater).

In the spirit that you offered that post, I could see the Irish hitting I-80 to play Valpo or Toledo. Not quite the Coast Guard, but....:rolleyes:;)

Lastly, it just struck me that the ND-Tennessee match might also be a victim of all this stuff, as well. The Irish and Vols have played for a number of years now, too.

Stay tuned.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Seems SC is committed to UConn

Reaction Score
All anybody had to do was listen to Maya's mom on senior night to understand why she chose UConn, with her mom's help. Maya's mom said she was more proud of the person Maya had become than how successful she was at basketball. That was borne out these last two years when she gave up her career to free someone who had been wrongly jailed.

Reaction Score
Seems SC is committed to UConn

Under SEC scheduling rules for this weird year, teams are to play 16 conference games and only two non-conference games. UConn is, of course, clamored for by the fanbase.

The choice of Temple (in Dawn's hometown) for the only remaining slot is a bit surprising and shows Dawn's power over her program. We will not be playing Clempsun. Of course, it may be a better recruiting move as well.

Reaction Score
Are the Irish ducking UConn?

I would love to stick it to ND. But I don't have the stomach to approach this season or our opponents the same way. Our state's infections have jumped over the past few weeks. We have more than 100 people hospitalized in Connecticut, nearly triple what it was a few weeks ago. Our infection rate, despite requiring visitors from 35 states to quarantine, is now over 2%, about triple what it was in the summer.

And Nick Saban, the premier college football coach is infected. He's 68 and vulnerable to serious Covid and possible death.

I'm sorry, but I'm scared. I'm scared for my neighbors. I'm scared for the people of our state. I'm scared for Coach Geno. I've been a fan for nearly a quarter century. But if all of our players and coaches went home to wait this out, I wouldn't be upset.

I'm sorry to my fellow BY'ers. But I can't get excited about our season. I'm sorry.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom