This year's ND/UConn game is postponed | The Boneyard

This year's ND/UConn game is postponed

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
One down. It was going to be tough to fit in our full OOC schedule.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
That's too bad. I was looking forward to THAT game. The game I don't want them to postpone is the Tennessee game at Knoxville. UConn is contractually obligated to play there this year. I hope the virus does not alter or postpone that game.

I can imagine the reception Geno and team will receive upon their arrival in the arena. Hisses, boos, and vulgar obscenities will be hurled at Geno and his players, none of whom were even born yet at the time of their little "tiff", which caused Pat Summitt to cancel the yearly games. I remember fan UConn fan posting here that they were verbally assaulted with very abusive language by a Tennessee fan while leaving the XL Center last year.

That was just one fan. Imagine what an arena full (of course that game will be sold out) of Volunteer fans would be like? If no fans will be allowed in the arena that night, glory hallelujah. The players and coaches can concentrate on the game with no distractions. Of course our players won't react to any verbal fan abuse, but let's realize that they are not deaf. :) You can't tell me that Geno has been looking to going back to Knoxville since this home & home was agreed to. :( I'm sure it will be on national TV.

Reaction Score
What a shame(rock) this is. :D
A game that non die hard women's fans would tune into.

@ Carnac no attack. :)
You bring much to the table here and I most often agree, but to say Geno would not look forward to going back to Knoxville is doubtful to myself. In Geno's words 2016.

Auriemma credited Summitt for raising the bar for himself and countless other coaches. "She was the one that everyone tried to emulate. That was the program everyone tried to be," he said.
He remembered when they first played in 1995 when Summitt agreed to come up and play the Huskies on national television.
"I don't think anyone was surprised she wanted to play in that game," Auriemma said. "That's what she did. We try to do that. Play everybody anytime, anywhere. That's how she built her program to where it is."

He has used the mantra anybody, anywhere, anytime. I think Geno has / will absolutely embrace this game as one of the most important on the schedule. The Vols are loaded with talent and with coaching can provide a very formidable challenge and hostile environment for a team with a lot of young players that will be getting time. A late season game that will give our Huskies a tournament environment.
My opinion being based on the fact Geno has enough cred to tell Dave if that was not a game he wanted scheduled it would not have been. ;)

Reaction Score
That's too bad. I was looking forward to THAT game. The game I don't want them to postpone is the Tennessee game at Knoxville. UConn is contractually obligated to play there this year. I hope the virus does not alter or postpone that game.

I can imagine the reception Geno and team will receive upon their arrival in the arena. Hisses, boos, and vulgar obscenities will be hurled at Geno and his players, none of whom were even born yet at the time of their little "tiff", which caused Pat Summitt to cancel the yearly games. I remember fan UConn fan posting here that they were verbally assaulted with very abusive language by a Tennessee fan while leaving the XL Center last year.

That was just one fan. Imagine what an arena full (of course that game will be sold out) of Volunteer fans would be like? If no fans will be allowed in the arena that night, glory hallelujah. The players and coaches can concentrate on the game with no distractions. Of course our players won't react to any verbal fan abuse, but let's realize that they are not deaf. :) You can't tell me that Geno has been looking to going back to Knoxville since this home & home was agreed to. :( I'm sure it will be on national TV.
I believe that the Geno/Pat 'tiff' took place in 2007 or so, over the recruiting of Maya Moore. Prior to 2007, they played each other every year, eh? Most of the players on the current team were born before 2007 [am I missing something here?]

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
I'm sure Geno would have offered or did offer to play the Game in South Bend to keep ND on the schedule.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I'm sure Geno would have offered or did offer to play the Game in South Bend to keep ND on the schedule.

Why would he do that? The game was scheduled to be played AT Notre Dame. ND removed a home game from its non-conference schedule. Maybe they’d rather take a bus to another school.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Here's a post ND Athletics put up, with the scheduling for the next four years, starting in 2021- 2022.

Reaction Score
How many more out of conference games does UConn still need to drop this season to get under the limit? Now that ND is off the schedule, is it just one more game?

Carnac

Reaction Score
Probably not up to Geno.

I recall Geno being asked a question during a presser shortly after the home & home games with Tennessee was announced. A question was asked by a reporter in reference to if he agreed or participated in putting the games together, I can’t remember the exact wording. After a pause, he said no. I understand that Geno’s mantra is any team, anywhere, anytime. I don't believe that applies to Tennessee.

Because of what I saw and heard him say during an interview years ago, saying that he would not be interested in playing Tennessee again until they apologized to Maya and her mother for things said and the disrespect shown to them.

I also recall reading a post or article here in the yard where then Tennessee head coach Holly Warlick asked Geno if he’d be interested in scheduling a game with them. Geno asked her if she would apologize to Maya’s mother. She said "no, I can’t do that."

That’s where it’s remained since then. When asked on more than one occasion if he would be interested in a resumption of the series, he’s always given the same answer, no.

That’s why I believe this was done over his head, and he was told to go along with it. I could be wrong, but I think a shoe corporation executive and/or a national sports network flexed some muscle, and strongly suggested that these two games be scheduled. As a head coach of a major college program, if the person(s) or board you answer to ask you to do something, you do it. Maybe begrudgingly, but you do it.

If someone has factual information on this, and I have this wrong, feel free to correct me. Set me straight. I would like to know the rest of the story. (Paul Harvey)

Last edited:

Carnac

Reaction Score
What a shame(rock) this is. :D
A game that non die hard women's fans would tune into.

@ Carnac no attack. :)
You bring much to the table here and I most often agree, but to say Geno would not look forward to going back to Knoxville is doubtful to myself. In Geno's words 2016.

Auriemma credited Summitt for raising the bar for himself and countless other coaches. "She was the one that everyone tried to emulate. That was the program everyone tried to be," he said.
He remembered when they first played in 1995 when Summitt agreed to come up and play the Huskies on national television.
"I don't think anyone was surprised she wanted to play in that game," Auriemma said. "That's what she did. We try to do that. Play everybody anytime, anywhere. That's how she built her program to where it is."

He has used the mantra anybody, anywhere, anytime. I think Geno has / will absolutely embrace this game as one of the most important on the schedule. The Vols are loaded with talent and with coaching can provide a very formidable challenge and hostile environment for a team with a lot of young players that will be getting time. A late season game that will give our Huskies a tournament environment.
My opinion being based on the fact Geno has enough cred to tell Dave if that was not a game he wanted scheduled it would not have been. ;)

I understand your point of view here. For reasons I've already articulated, I still believe Geno would rather NOT play in that arena in front of those fans ever again. The fans will be yelling obscenities at him and the players ( showing their lack of class and decorum) the whole game. Who looks forward to that? The only way that turns out to be a pleasant trip is if Evina goes off for about 30 points, and UConn blows them out by 30+. I hope a UConn fan goes to the game, and sits right behind the UConn bench so that they can hear and see everything that goes on that night, and then give a detailed report here in the yard so they we can judge for ourselves what really happened. We won't hear or see anything on TV. The producers will edit anything of an offensive nature out. Most televised games are broadcast on a delay. I've already said I could be wrong on this, but this is the way I see it.

Correction: in another post I said that none of the players were born yet when the eruption occurred between Geno and Pat in 2007. That was incorrect. All of them were born. They were all in elementary school at the time.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom