This year is make or break for the 3-3-5. | Page 7 | The Boneyard

This year is make or break for the 3-3-5.

Reaction Score
I describe him as a fraud because his actual
skills don’t match his charisma.

His problem isn’t leadership - his problem is he isn’t that good.

Yes, I do believe you were implying something when you asked me about Carr. Because you assumed the opposite of my meaning by the word fraud.
Well, whether he’s good or not is debatable. What I do know is that he took a young team and went 9-7.
This year their entire LB core was hurt for the early part of the season. They gave up too many 3rd down conversions and couldn’t get the defense off the field. Is Winston a weirdo? I guess. Is he a work in progress to me? Yes. If they got rid of him would I lose sleep? No. But there was more to their demise this year than him.
And no Whaler, I don’t think you’re a racist. I believe that you do love black people and respect all races and creeds.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I used to break down tapes so I like watching them but it's tough with a highlight reel. You can usually tell when someone can play or not, though. When I saw Washington's hudl he did a lot of stuff right which is why I think we're going to be ok at QB. You don't see the bad plays, though, so it's hard to tell. If you put together a Rodney Purvis UConn highlight you'd think he was an All-American because it left out all the boneheaded plays

Part of the reason why I don’t watch tapes is because of the editing.

I’m also not a coach and I’d be a fraud talking out of my arse.

When I was officiating I had a pretty good track record of calling who would live up to the hype and who wouldn’t.

The first time I officiated Aaron Hernandez I think I called everyone I knew.

I still chuckle at the Golics being at Notre Dame - they weren’t even the best players on their NW Catholic teams.

I did think Tebucky Jr would be better. The first time I reffed him I think he was 11 and ran for 400 yards.

Reaction Score
I describe him as a fraud because his actual
skills don’t match his charisma.

His problem isn’t leadership - his problem is he isn’t that good.

Yes, I do believe you were implying something when you asked me about Carr. Because you assumed the opposite of my meaning by the word fraud.
I could have used Russell Wilson in my analogy but they’re on the verge of getting in the playoffs. I needed a QB that everyone hyped up and expected their team to make the playoffs but failed.
It just happened to be the White David Carr.

Reaction Score
I did think Tebucky Jr would be better. The first time I reffed him I think he was 11 and ran for 400 yards.
If there's anything I've learned about football it's that you don't know anything about a kid until he's halfway through high school - some kids even later. I, no lie, had a scout come up to me after a pop warner football game trying to convince me to go to a prep school for football. I never grew another inch and could have maybe played D3 if I wanted to. I was 13 years old and he was talking to me about division 1 football.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
If there's anything I've learned about football it's that you don't know anything about a kid until he's halfway through high school - some kids even later. I, no lie, had a scout come up to me after a pop warner football game trying to convince me to go to a prep school for football. I never grew another inch and could have maybe played D3 if I wanted to. I was 13 years old and he was talking to me about division 1 football.

Your father wasn’t a first round pick in the NFL.

(At least you haven’t claimed that yet - it’s still early).

I do agree with you though that sorting through 99.9 kids before they are juniors is a waste of time.

Reaction Score
Your father wasn’t a first round pick in the NFL.

(At least you haven’t claimed that yet - it’s still early).

I do agree with you though that sorting through 99.9 kids before they are juniors is a waste of time.
lol I come from a family of athletes but no division 1 or NFL stock to speak of. Unfortunately I got the 5'9" genes instead of the 6'3" genes

Reaction Score
The only thing I look for in film before Junior year is aggression. If I’m watching a RB, LB, CB, S I need to see that you don’t slow down at the point of contact. I need to see a commitment early on to the physicality of football. That’s not to say you’ll win those battles as youngsters playing varsity. Even if you get run over or knocked back I at least need to see that you came in at full speed.
Lineman it’s tough because technique plays such a huge roll in getting off blocks and exploding off the ball. That comes with time and coaching.

Reaction Score
The only thing I look for in film before Junior year is aggression. If I’m watching a RB, LB, CB, S I need to see that you don’t slow down at the point of contact. I need to see a commitment early on to the physicality of football. That’s not to say you’ll win those battles as youngsters playing varsity. Even if you get run over or knocked back I at least need to see that you came in at full speed.
Lineman it’s tough because technique plays such a huge roll in getting off blocks and exploding off the ball. That comes with time and coaching.
Most linemen don't actually get coached on correct technique until they're in college. High school coaches spend 90% of their time on kids competing for a spot. If you're 6'7 280 and can mow kids down through size and strength they're spending time on the guard next to you that's 6'1 230 so the offense can click

Reaction Score
Most linemen don't actually get coached on correct technique until they're in college. High school coaches spend 90% of their time on kids competing for a spot. If you're 6'7 280 and can mow kids down through size and strength they're spending time on the guard next to you that's 6'1 230 so the offense can click
Exactly. So I generally don’t watch lineman for that reason- except for size and general athleticism. Beyond that it’s a waiting game.

Reaction Score
I only joined the BY because my brother committed to UConn and did my research on Uconn and what not. Haha I thought this thread was about the 3-3-5 defense.... Seems like just trying to expose someone haha reminds me of the show catfish

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I only joined the BY because my brother committed to UConn and did my research on Uconn and what not. Haha I thought this thread was about the 3-3-5 defense.... Seems like just trying to expose someone haha reminds me of the show catfish
Haha
Whaler tried to take me to task man.
I guess I should have lied and said I knew a commit and that’s why I joined then I would have avoided scrutiny from The Committee?

Reaction Score
lol I come from a family of athletes but no division 1 or NFL stock to speak of. Unfortunately I got the 5'9" genes instead of the 6'3" genes
Funny. I was the tall kid in middle school, who topped out at 5'11" freshman year.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Funny. I was the tall kid in middle school, who topped out at 5'11" freshman year.

Which mid-major did you play for? Fairfield? Iona?

Reaction Score
Which mid-major did you play for? Fairfield? Iona?
Lol. None.

Closest I came was D3 Kings College asking for my grades and getting called to the coaches office to meet with an assistant. Even with the aid offered I couldn't afford that tuition.

Reaction Score
Lol. None.

Closest I came was D3 Kings College asking for my grades and getting called to the coaches office to meet with an assistant. Even with the aid offered I couldn't afford that tuition.
Kings from Wilkes-Barre? My father went to school there on the GI Bill. My cousin played at Wilkes.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom